PDA

View Full Version : Games wanted for Mac OS X

gopher
Sep 10, 2002, 01:42 PM
Any news on these games for Mac OS X?

Simcity doesn't work in Classic, I have to boot into Mac OS 9 for it.
Same with Riven and Journeyman Project III.

FattyMembrane
Sep 10, 2002, 06:31 PM
how about unreal tournament? unreal 2003 is supposed to be on the mac by christmas and the origional is still in beta on osx. not to mention that they dont even have an osx installer. it's the only "recent" (4years old) fps that will run well on my rage128 and my machine is now 100% osx, so i have no classic into which i can in stall my old games.

as far as simcity and riven go, we're just going to have to wait for simcity x000 and realmyst or mystonline.

the problem is (especially with ported games) that porters are only really worried about getting it to the mac (which meant classic until about a month ago). once that's done, maybe a carbon port will be hacked out. i will not even go into input device and network support (which is usually non-existant for osx ports). now that apple is only supporting osx, game developers will be concentrating on making ports that work on osx (maybe osx only). as for older games, we get the shaft. i was truly surprised that freeverse actually used openplay in the update for wipeout, this kind of osx support is very unusual in a carbon port (of course, you are paying $35 for a 5 year old game, so they have to give you some incentive).

in my opinion, whiz-bang graphics only go so far. the reason we like the classics is because of their combination of different media elements, but the main reason is gameplay. i play macMAME all of the time because metalslug and streetfighteralpha3 kick so much ass. if they made a straight up port of either of these for the mac, i'd buy them. the same goes for stuff like simcity and the myst series, but instead of that, companies focus on porting crap like everquest (flame me if you want, but its pretty lame)

P-Worm
Sep 10, 2002, 07:52 PM
I couldn't agree with you more about Everquest. Who wants to spend hours unskillfully leveling up so you can see a new area? (Apparently billions...)

Anyway, where is Half-Life and counterstrike? Those are basically the only non mac games that I really care about. Although I can live with out them, the Mac will never be seen as a gaming platform without hits like those.

P-Worm

job
Sep 10, 2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by P-Worm

Anyway, where is Half-Life and counterstrike? Those are basically the only non mac games that I really care about. Although I can live with out them, the Mac will never be seen as a gaming platform without hits like those.

It's never coming to the Mac.

Read this thread : http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8720

P-Worm
Sep 10, 2002, 10:34 PM
i kinda figured as much, but what I am refering to more is the series itself or any other game made by the same people. Now I'm not sure if there is going to be a sequel, but I would like to start seeing all of the major games come out for both platforms (Or JUST Mac. :p ).

If only all game companies could be more like Blizzard...sigh...:(

P-Worm

job
Sep 10, 2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by P-Worm

If only all game companies could be more like Blizzard...sigh...:(

That would be nice. :)

I would think that Doom3 would be a simul. release.

Maybe we will eventually see UT2k3.... :D

Durandal7
Sep 11, 2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by gopher
Any news on these games for Mac OS X?

Simcity doesn't work in Classic, I have to boot into Mac OS 9 for it.
Same with Riven and Journeyman Project III.

That's weird, JMP III works in classic on my computer...

kiwi_the_iwik
Sep 11, 2002, 04:11 AM
If you go to www.macgamer.com or www.insidemacgames.com you will get a list of the latest games to be released on the OSX platform.

Interesting news, though - GraphSim, the company that released F/A-18 Hornet Korea, are working on a new F/A-18 game - solely for OSX - called F/A-18 - Target Iraq. It is believed to be released in the beginning of next year - definitely one to get, if you're into flight sims...

:D

FattyMembrane
Sep 11, 2002, 12:43 PM
kind of off topic, but does anyone know what the specs might be for UT2K3? the ut demo worked great on my 500mhz g3 with a rage128, are the pc requirements about the same as ut?

ugru
Sep 11, 2002, 01:35 PM
Condolances to all USA people...

I am a MMORPG addict (games like UltimaOnLine, Neocron etc...) and i'd really like gome of thet to be ported on mac.

i saw a preview of one of this time-sucking games it is called Starwars Galaxies Online and it seems really great some of you knows everything about a mac version?

I'd also like a version of UOL for Mac i think it is until now the best game i've ever played (since Commodore 64 times).

job
Sep 11, 2002, 03:48 PM
ugru, thanks for the condolences..

anyways, EQ is being ported the mac.

many people are also hoping that worlds of warcraft will be released for the mac as well, since blizzard has yet to release a non-mac title...

Zenith
Sep 11, 2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik
news, though - GraphSim, the company that released F/A-18 Hornet Korea, are working on a new F/A-18 game - solely for OSX - called F/A-18 - Target Iraq. It is believed to be released in the beginning of next year - definitely one to get, if you're into flight sims...

Schweet! I played F/A-18 Hornet for several years. Including the 1.2, 2.0, 3.0 and the Korea versions. It was my favourite game for years... Can't wait for an update!

vitruvius
Sep 11, 2002, 04:50 PM
still waiting for MystOnline in 2003 :D

www.mystonline.com

and if you are a Myst fan and are interested in how D'ni is being restored look at

www.drcsite.org/

bousozoku
Sep 11, 2002, 08:36 PM
If you go to www.macgamer.com or www.insidemacgames.com you will get a list of the latest games to be released on the OSX platform.

Interesting news, though - GraphSim, the company that released F/A-18 Hornet Korea, are working on a new F/A-18 game - solely for OSX - called F/A-18 - Target Iraq. It is believed to be released in the beginning of next year - definitely one to get, if you're into flight sims...

Do you think maybe that they'll connect the game to those unmanned aircraft and we could have some real experience?

Btw, did you see that Presto Studios bit the dust this week?

job
Sep 12, 2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
kind of off topic, but does anyone know what the specs might be for UT2K3? the ut demo worked great on my 500mhz g3 with a rage128, are the pc requirements about the same as ut?

Probably pretty high.

The PC reqs are about 600Mhz minimum with a GeForce or Radeon based 3D card.

I'm thinking the Mac reqs will be slightly higher than that, as always. Probably around 650~700Mhz.

kiwi_the_iwik
Sep 13, 2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
Do you think maybe that they'll connect the game to those unmanned aircraft and we could have some real experience?

No harm in asking their support dept. It'd save the country millions in aeronautics, and save pilots' lives - especially if they can get some real "hot-dog" fliers, like the ones I inevitably run up against in Gameranger (and then get my butt kicked...)

:rolleyes:

bousozoku
Sep 14, 2002, 10:59 PM

No harm in asking their support dept. It'd save the country millions in aeronautics, and save pilots' lives - especially if they can get some real "hot-dog" fliers, like the ones I inevitably run up against in Gameranger (and then get my butt kicked...)

:rolleyes:

Well, since the President is so enthusiastic about a war in Iraq, the least we could do is help, even if we didn't know we were doing it.

Sorry about your butt, would you care for a cushion?

RBMaraman
Sep 15, 2002, 10:22 AM
Buy a PS2 and use the new network adaptor to play games online. I'd rather do computer stuff on my Mac, and play games on my PS2. I removed all of the games that came on my iBook.

kiwi_the_iwik
Sep 16, 2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku

Sorry about your butt, would you care for a cushion?

Nah - that's alright. I find that a 'roid cushion works just fine...

...us old-timers are nothing if not inventive.