Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Mission Control, Exposé, whatever you want to call it…called up by the 4 finger up/down gestures.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it annoying that when you swipe down it only does single application expose, and when you "unswipe" (aka, swipe down again to undo the action like you can do in Snow Leopard) it doesn't do anything?

Also, scrolling…everything is now intuitive–which is good–but scrolling up to go down/down to go up will take some getting used to. Would it not be easier to have a separate option for basic 2-finger inverse scrolling to be on or off, while keeping all the other gestures intuitive?

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
I agree with you, it is annoying that four-finger swipe is not customizable.

However, conventional two-finger scrolling is available as an option. Check Trackpad preferences more carefully.

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
Mission Control, Exposé, whatever you want to call it…called up by the 4 finger up/down gestures.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it annoying that when you swipe down it only does single application expose, and when you "unswipe" (aka, swipe down again to undo the action like you can do in Snow Leopard) it doesn't do anything?

Also, scrolling…everything is now intuitive–which is good–but scrolling up to go down/down to go up will take some getting used to. Would it not be easier to have a separate option for basic 2-finger inverse scrolling to be on or off, while keeping all the other gestures intuitive?

You swipe up to undo one app expose, I actually think it is more intuitive that way. Just like the inverted scrolling I actually think it makes more logical sense like this, it just takes a few days to get use to.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008

I agree completely. It's one of the first things I noticed when I installed Lion. I was very used to the way Expose worked on SL. I disabled the default gestures in System Preferences and installed BetterTouchTool. You can customize every gesture and it works great in Lion. I mapped 4-finger swipe down to Expose (all windows/applications) and 4-finger swipe up to "show desktop". Now it works just like Snow leopard (even the "unswipe" behavior).

I thought the same thing, but I understand why they want to keep everything consistant. I personally think the "down is down, up is up" (Snow Leopard style) scrolling is more important so I enabled that setting and just got used to the slightly counter-intuitive left/right swiping. If I really felt so inclined I could have customized those gestures with BTT but honestly, it's not that bad. I'm used to it now.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
I agree completely. It's one of the first things I noticed when I installed Lion. I was very used to the way Expose worked on SL. I disabled the default gestures in System Preferences and installed BetterTouchTool. You can customize every gesture and it works great in Lion. I mapped 4-finger swipe down to Expose (all windows/applications) and 4-finger swipe up to "show desktop". Now it works just like Snow leopard (even the "unswipe" behavior).

I thought the same thing, but I understand why they want to keep everything consistant. I personally think the "down is down, up is up" (Snow Leopard style) scrolling is more important so I enabled that setting and just got used to the slightly counter-intuitive left/right swiping. If I really felt so inclined I could have customized those gestures with BTT but honestly, it's not that bad. I'm used to it now.

I tried BTT on Lion, and it did what I wanted, but not near as "slickly" as Mac OS does by default. If that were fixed, I'd be perfectly satisfied.

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
Show Desktop was changed to the 4 finger expand gesture. Out of all of the various multitouch gestures, this is the only one I have trouble with as I seem to always swipe up to trigger mission control.

terence1957

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2011
I'm a bit of Mac newbie, so please be patient: I had got used to the 4 finger up-swipe exposing the desktop. Suddenly now it exposes the next application below. I must have fumbled some keys or something and changed the setting, but how do I get back to the desktop function?

Thanks,
Terence

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
I'm a bit of Mac newbie, so please be patient: I had got used to the 4 finger up-swipe exposing the desktop. Suddenly now it exposes the next application below. I must have fumbled some keys or something and changed the setting, but how do I get back to the desktop function?

Thanks,
Terence
Finder > Applications folder > System Preferences > Trackpad > Four Fingers > Swipe Up/Down > choose either 'for Mission Control' or 'to Navigate'. They are the only two options available. Bummer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.