Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

093810-ipad_2_oblique.jpg

DigiTimes reports that Apple's suppliers are targeting production of 10-12 million iPad 2 units during the second quarter of 2011. That production would come on top of 2-3 million second-generation iPads being pushed out before the end of this quarter, putting total iPad 2 shipments in the first four months of availability at as high as 15 million units, a figure that would match total sales of the original iPad over its first nine months of availability. Altogether, Apple is said to be currently planning for shipments of 40 million iPads in 2011.
Apple's target to take delivery of 40 million iPads from Taiwan suppliers in 2011 remains unchanged with shipment volume expected to top 6-6.5 million units, including over three million iPad 2 models, in the first quarter and to further expand to 10-12 million units in the second.

After producing 1.7-2 million units of the first-generation iPad in January, Apple began to phase out production of the old model in February, while beginning to roll out the iPad 2, according to component suppliers in Taiwan. Shipments of iPad 2 are expected to top 2-3 million units in March, the sources added.
The report contrasts significantly with an earlier one issued just over a week ago by DigiTimes stating that Apple had reduced first-quarter production of the iPad 2 to just 300,000-400,000 units due to low touch panel yields. DigiTimes has a mixed track record, and it is consequently difficult to pinpoint the accuracy of any single claim, but the latest reports from within Apple's supply chains and an aggressive rollout schedule do suggest that Apple is moving forward with confidence in its production capacity.

Article Link: Apple Targeting 10-12 Million iPad 2 Shipments for Q2 2011?

Last edited by a moderator:

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
If it had retina, that number would be a lot more. I don't think they could've handled it.

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK
I'd love to know what the ratio between black and White iPads being produced is.

Is this data anywhere on the Internet?

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
They'll be selling to the updaters/early adopters and the holder-outers. I think they are going to need every one of them. When you're heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem nothing else will do.

Looking forward to owning my first iPad when they are released in the UK at the end of the month.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
I'd love to know what the ratio between black and White iPads being produced is.

Is this data anywhere on the Internet?
I would take a wild guess and say 1 out of 3 would be white or close to 30%.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
If it had retina, that number would be a lot more. I don't think they could've handled it.

Haha...Yah, that's what's holding the iPad back...riiiiight

99.99% of users have no idea what retina display is. You could tell them the new iPad has retina display and they wouldnt know the difference.

40 million iPad target is basically going to swallow up the whole tablet segment, "retina" display or not.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
Really? I would think more people would prefer the white option.

Not everyone buys an iPad to match their coat!

Video will look better with a black surround. The only real choice is what colour smart cover to get!

meatling

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2011
ha...Yah, that's what's holding the iPad back...riiiiight

99.99% of users have no idea what retina display is. You could tell them the new iPad has retina display and they wouldnt know the difference.

40 million iPad target is basically going to swallow up the whole tablet segment, "retina" display or not

I totally agree. What is important to us is not the buying majority. iPad 1 sold a butt load and the Ipad 2 will be no different. As a teacher the mirroring alone sold me. I would have liked retina but let us be serious. The current display is not horrible.

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
Yeah I think I'll get the White one. Just want something which looks a bit different. Getting fed up with all apple iOS devices being black

Not everyone buys an iPad to match their coat!

Video will look better with a black surround. The only real choice is what colour smart cover to get!

Yes, you're probably right - video will look better w/ a black bezel... however, I agree with v66jack and feel people will want something different than their current iOS devices. Also, isn't the white color (at least in iDevices) usually associated with a higher-end product?

According to the poll on the iPad forums,
it's about 50/50

That's pretty cool. Is there a link you can provide? I haven't voted!

newtonrj

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009

40 million iPad target is basically going to swallow up the whole tablet segment, "retina" display or not.

. [Point] We're all hardware/software geeks here. None of which adds up to 15 million purchases last year. The average user sees the magic through the geek-speak and somehow gets it to become app-ified. Whether we see toy or tool, the resulting technolust is so universally addictive, only sucessive iPads can sadaite. -RJ

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I'm one of the hold-outs, waiting for Apple to make the "Buy" link active to purchase two iPad 2's. I have a feeling there are a lot of people like me.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008

I'm not sure a retina display is a factor to the MAJORITY of ipad current/potential users. The current display has a 132 dpi pxl density which is the SAME density as the high-rez MBP's.

cheers
JohnG

camelsnot

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011

quantify that 99.99% number? Didn't think so. Apple markets the crap out of specific features, therefore people look for those specific features.

What's a whole tablet segment? As opposed to half a tablet segment? Or how about 99.99% of the segment? Segmentation.. arrrrgh!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.