PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try Brasso to remove scratches on the Powerbook case?

MrMan112
Feb 16, 2005, 04:57 PM
I have a few very minor scratches on my aluminum Powerbook case and am thinking about trying Brasso metal polisher to remove them.

I've read that it works pretty well on the metal back of the iPod, but haven't read anything about it and the Powerbook.

Anyone try this yet? Thanks!

Logik
Feb 16, 2005, 05:01 PM
I have a few very minor scratches on my aluminum Powerbook case and am thinking about trying Brasso metal polisher to remove them.

I've read that it works pretty well on the metal back of the iPod, but haven't read anything about it and the Powerbook.

Anyone try this yet? Thanks!

no don't do it... the aluminum powerbook has a "coating" on it to stop it from corroding.. if you use a polish it won't even "polish" it'll just rip the protective coating off and cause it to corrode

MrMan112
Feb 16, 2005, 06:18 PM
So just forget about it and leave the scratch alone?

Any other product worth trying?

Logik
Feb 16, 2005, 06:22 PM
So just forget about it and leave the scratch alone?

Any other product worth trying?

well... water and moisture is going to cause it to corrode... if it's where your hand rests.. expect it to get green soon. cleaning that area will make it corrode as well.

i'm not sure of any products that will seal it up again.. good question though, hopefully someone will give input..

someone else had a similar problem.. scratched his girlfriends powerbook... oops...

MrMan112
Feb 16, 2005, 07:41 PM
It's on the outside. The case of the powerbook.

TDM21
Feb 16, 2005, 08:14 PM
After polishing a belt buckle in JROTC, all I can say is this: Don't do it!
Reasons:
1. You will take the anti-corrosive coating off
2. It will take a very long time to get the scratches out of the Aluminum
3. Once you start using Brasso you will never be allowed to stop. You will have to polish the Aluminum at least once a week to keep it from corroding.