PDA

View Full Version : will hdmi cable work with original iPad

schnacke
Mar 4, 2011, 11:33 AM
Has there been any indication either way if the hdmi cable connector will work with the original iPad? I can't find it on apples website, but honestly only searched for a few minutes. Thanks

rkheyfets
Mar 4, 2011, 11:46 AM
Yes it will

Onimusha370
Mar 4, 2011, 11:49 AM
i'm wondering the same thing myself...
i'd assume the 9x better graphics will be the reason it can output so well to your tv, and they'll claim the original wouldn't be capable, whether it is or not.
i'm just guessing though; i'm sticking with my ipad 1 so i'd love this to be compatible with it aswell.

Onimusha370
Mar 4, 2011, 11:49 AM
Yes it will

how do you know? :)

Kadin
Mar 4, 2011, 11:52 AM

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC953ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE&mco=MjEzNTM2MDM

deeddawg
Mar 4, 2011, 11:54 AM

He probably read the information on Apple's website.

OP: it's in the ipad accessories section of store.apple.com, you'd think they'd give more info in the iPad section but you have to go specifically to the ipad accessories in the store: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC953ZM/A

Onimusha370
Mar 4, 2011, 12:00 PM
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC953ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE&mco=MjEzNTM2MDM

great news!
thanks for that :D
just thinking about it, if the ipad 1's graphics can drive 2,000,000 pixels on my tv, and the ipad 2's graphics are several times faster, they could have surely gone retina with this baby.
i guess they'll hold it till ipad 3... :rolleyes:

patp
Mar 4, 2011, 12:26 PM
it won't do the mirroring, but will output videos and any apps that allow it.

but the "what you see on your ipad is what you see on your tv " isn't supported on ipad 1

poloponies
Mar 4, 2011, 12:39 PM
great news!
thanks for that :D
just thinking about it, if the ipad 1's graphics can drive 2,000,000 pixels on my tv, and the ipad 2's graphics are several times faster, they could have surely gone retina with this baby.
i guess they'll hold it till ipad 3... :rolleyes:

They could have also encased it in platinum and platypus pelts. It's a safe bet that battery life could not have been maintained juicing a higher-res screen. There's also the cost thing. If a couple million prospective buyers would prepay for a $1,499 iPad, I'm confident that Apple could up the specs for you. In the meantime the rest of us will wait for the tech to reach an acceptable price point.

blackNBUK
Mar 4, 2011, 01:15 PM
I'm intrigued to know how this cable works. I doubt HDMI is something that can be easily added unless some support for it was put into the hardware in the first place. Maybe using the A4 in the AppleTV2 drove them to add the support in?

henrikrox
Mar 4, 2011, 01:18 PM
Again, misinformed people saying stuff that isnt true.

1. Hdmi will work on both ipads.
2. NO, apps will not work on ipad 1, you cant mirror them, mirroring just works on ipad 2.
3. I dunno why people are saying you can demo apps, presentations etc on the ipad 1. Beacause you cant.

Only thing you can do with hdmi on ipad 1, is to show video.

collection
Mar 15, 2011, 09:42 AM
3. I dunno why people are saying you can demo apps, presentations etc on the ipad 1. Beacause you cant.

so you can't even display pictures like you can with the vga cable ?

are there any videos of the ipad 1 with the hdmi cable ?

deeddawg
Mar 15, 2011, 09:53 AM
Again, misinformed people saying stuff that isnt true. [...] Only thing you can do with hdmi on ipad 1, is to show video.

so you can't even display pictures like you can with the vga cable ?

All I know is what Apple says on the store page for the Digital AV Adapter (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC953ZM/A):

Overview
Use the Apple Digital AV Adapter to mirror whatever’s on your iPad 2 screen — apps, presentations, websites, and more — on your HDTV or HDMI-compatible display in up to 1080p HD (movies play at up to 720p).
Watch slideshows and movies on the big screen in up to 720p by connecting your iPad, iPhone 4, or iPod touch (4th generation) to an HDTV or HDMI-compatible display.
The Apple Digital AV Adapter routes digital audio to screens that support it.(emphasis mine)

That would seem to suggest you can do slideshows.

drenline
Mar 15, 2011, 10:58 AM
Jailbreak + displayout from cydia if you're looking to mirror everything, including apps(with the apple VGA adapter)