PDA

View Full Version : We want a tablet that can run OS X

ClarkeB
Feb 16, 2005, 05:11 PM
I mean...who wouldn't? These things are soo cool to a certain point (I mean, that childish blue and green ribbon? c'mon!), but it would looks so much more polished with a dock at the bottom! Why doesn't a company come out with an imitation tablet that can run OS X. Like, maybe have a 1GHz (or less) G4 (does Apple hav exclusivity rights?) and make it extra cheap? They would fly (FLY!) off of the shelves and it would in turn help Apple ("I need a copy of OS X Tiger for my iScreen") and everyone would be happy. Then, when they feel ready, Apple can launch their amazing tablet running OS X beautifully with a higher-end G4 (or, by then, a low G5).

And then we can finally see the end of the 'Doze Dorks showing how "cool" it is and then you see at the bottom and you're right back to being a three year old at your bright blue Fischer Price table(t).

Logik
Feb 16, 2005, 05:15 PM
I mean...who wouldn't? These things are soo cool to a certain point (I mean, that childish blue and green ribbon? c'mon!), but it would looks so much more polished with a dock at the bottom! Why doesn't a company come out with an imitation tablet that can run OS X. Like, maybe have a 1GHz (or less) G4 (does Apple hav exclusivity rights?) and make it extra cheap? They would fly (FLY!) off of the shelves and it would in turn help Apple ("I need a copy of OS X Tiger for my iScreen") and everyone would be happy. Then, when they feel ready, Apple can launch their amazing tablet running OS X beautifully with a higher-end G4 (or, by then, a low G5).

And then we can finally see the end of the 'Doze Dorks showing how "cool" it is and then you see at the bottom and you're right back to being a three year old at your bright blue Fischer Price table(t).

OS X can only be put on machines sold by apple.. as the bios has information that ok's OS X to boot. you can't just go buy any random tablet or powerpc processor and expect it to work. apple has done their stuff to make sure it only works on their hardware.

strider42
Feb 16, 2005, 05:51 PM
OS X can only be put on machines sold by apple.. as the bios has information that ok's OS X to boot. you can't just go buy any random tablet or powerpc processor and expect it to work. apple has done their stuff to make sure it only works on their hardware.

even if you could, it would be an illegal violation of their license agreement, so any company that tried it would be sued into oblivion in about a week. I mean, shoot, remmeber the guy who was salvaging used Macs and making pizza box "clones". Apple got that taken care of in no time.

Beyond that, you'd still end up with an overpriced, underpowered, less functional piece of equipment.

ClarkeB
Feb 16, 2005, 05:54 PM
But what about so-called "clone machines"?

combatcolin
Feb 16, 2005, 06:03 PM

Yes, you can't move for Tablet PC's

Intresting but failing.

strider42
Feb 16, 2005, 06:07 PM
But what about so-called "clone machines"?

Apple officially licensed the clones to a couple of companies in the mid 90's. It failed spectacularly for them. Jobs came back and killed the clones. There have been none since.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Feb 16, 2005, 06:08 PM

Apart from walking around looking "cool", what in the world would you want to do with a tablet that you could do much more effective on an iBook/PowerBook...???

sjpetry
Feb 16, 2005, 06:23 PM
I saw a hack someone did (I think on MR, not sure), they took the bottom half of a PB and a touch screen and made a "sandwich" with it. It was pretty cool and it looked ok. :cool:

Mechcozmo
Feb 16, 2005, 07:02 PM
I saw a hack someone did (I think on MR, not sure), they took the bottom half of a PB and a touch screen and made a "sandwich" with it. It was pretty cool and it looked ok. :cool:

It was actually and iBook...:D

cyanide
Feb 16, 2005, 07:06 PM
ahh, the beauty of mankind. We started out scribing on a tablet, and to that early craft the early-man in us calls out, "Neegrok, mush magoo kerglum ferk dürper!". Humanity went the way of the book eventually, and so we have PowerBOOKS, and iBOOKS... not iSlab or iTablet or iScreen. Let me iChisel a quick cave drawing over to my sister...What next? Are you going to ask for the iScroll? A roll-up computer! Twenty bucks says microsoft does it in the next 20 years. mwahahahaha...

atszyman
Feb 16, 2005, 07:22 PM
Apart from walking around looking "cool", what in the world would you want to do with a tablet that you could do much more effective on an iBook/PowerBook...???

The easy answer?

Take notes in class and at meetings. Especially when block diagrams/equations are involved.

What would make the most sense would be an evolution of the PowerBook/iBooks. Apple needs to come up with a slick method for flipping the screen so that it can fold back over the keyboard with the screen facing out and thus give you your tablet/laptop depending on where you are and how you want to use it. See the Toshiba Porteges for a good example.

I would love to be able to use my PowerBook to take notes in class (Engineering Grad school) but 99% of my notes consist of fairly intricate equations with most of the Greek alphabet. It's much easier to write them by hand than try to enter them via keyboard or with a trackpad.

Just my opinion.

dejo
Feb 16, 2005, 07:26 PM
What next? Are you going to ask for the iScroll? A roll-up computer! Twenty bucks says microsoft does it in the next 20 years. mwahahahaha...

Microsoft won't. Sony or Lenovo or someone will. Dell will continue to claim innovating is bad for their business but copy it anyways. And Microsoft will supply the OS: Windows RU! :D

mactastic
Feb 16, 2005, 07:33 PM

Well I'm often in a position where it would be very helpful to be able to sketch on my screen, either over an existing drawing (ie when a client wants to see how a certain feature of their house would look if we just changed X) or as the initial conceptual sketch that can then easily be imported without having to scan it.

I realize I'm in a very small subset of people who would actually find a tablet useful, and I'm not in any way, shape, or form expecting Apple to provide one, but there are certainly things other than 'looking cool' that I could do with a tablet that I can't do without carrying a Wacom around with my laptop.

Just a thought.

dejo
Feb 16, 2005, 07:39 PM
Why not just get a touchscreen for your PowerBook?

Troll Touch Touchscreens (http://www.trolltouch.com/slipcover.html)

unfaded
Feb 16, 2005, 08:29 PM
Or type, since you can type a lot faster, theoretically, then you can write.

Koodauw
Feb 16, 2005, 09:15 PM

Well seeing as you took my point, Ill have to come up with a new one.

If you think you can sell based solely on cool factor, think back the Cube.

atszyman
Feb 16, 2005, 09:33 PM

Only if what you are doing is strictly text. Complex equations and diagrams are nearly impossible to do during class or meetings using only the keyboard and trackpad. A tablet would provide a much better interface for these tasks. A convertable tablet would provide a solution for everyone. Don't like tablets? use it as a laptop, need a pen type interface? use it as a tablet. Everyone's happy.

Mechcozmo
Feb 16, 2005, 09:48 PM
Anyone want a Newton? It does those things... just write on the screen! Voila! Instant computer-text. But it is what you want. Or just tell it to use your handwriting and not recognize it.

:)

dongmin
Feb 16, 2005, 09:52 PM
Well I'm often in a position where it would be very helpful to be able to sketch on my screen, either over an existing drawing (ie when a client wants to see how a certain feature of their house would look if we just changed X) or as the initial conceptual sketch that can then easily be imported without having to scan it.your prayers are answered:

http://www.wacom.com/lcdtablets/Architecture.cfm

I would love to be able to use my PowerBook to take notes in class (Engineering Grad school) but 99% of my notes consist of fairly intricate equations with most of the Greek alphabet. It's much easier to write them by hand than try to enter them via keyboard or with a trackpad.the one advantage of taking notes with a PC is that it reads your scribbles and converts it to text, but i'm doubting that you can do the same with equations, greek alphabets, and diagrmas. so why not just pencil and paper?

vniow
Feb 16, 2005, 09:57 PM
We don't. You do. There'a a difference.

PlaceofDis
Feb 16, 2005, 10:28 PM
ahh, the beauty of mankind. We started out scribing on a tablet, and to that early craft the early-man in us calls out, "Neegrok, mush magoo kerglum ferk dürper!". Humanity went the way of the book eventually, and so we have PowerBOOKS, and iBOOKS... not iSlab or iTablet or iScreen. Let me iChisel a quick cave drawing over to my sister...What next? Are you going to ask for the iScroll? A roll-up computer! Twenty bucks says microsoft does it in the next 20 years. mwahahahaha...

ever see the movie Red Planet, they had a type of futuristic computer that was like a scroll, if it worked like that one then it would be darn cool to have

tutubibi
Feb 17, 2005, 12:22 AM

On top of comments above, let me add that tablets really do make sense. I had a chance to use Acer TabletPC (Windows of course) and I was impressed by usability of this things. It's much easier for regular stuff like surfing, email, remote desktop, sys admin stuff. Pen was superior to keyboard in many tasks, one notable exceptions is coding (lots of typing).

Finally, don't forget you can use most of the tablets just like regular notebooks, they have keyboards as well.

I am seriouly tempted to get one, even if it is Windows. If Apple would release one, I would be first in the line to buy it.

cyanide
Feb 17, 2005, 05:47 AM
This post makes 23! im shocked this has gotten this far. and i will be the first to line up for a flogging if Apple releases one. *fears being beaten, but not that much*

Mitthrawnuruodo
Feb 17, 2005, 06:23 AM
This post makes 23! im shocked this has gotten this far. and i will be the first to line up for a flogging if Apple releases one. *fears being beaten, but not that much*
I'll stand right behind you (ducking, but I'll be there ;)).

I've been taking notes first on my Pismo, later on my iBook, first in college, where I got my degree in Computer engineering, and now on University where I'll get my Ms in Informatics and Ba in History of Religion soon. Havn't touched a pen or paper notepad since buying the first portable.

When taking notes (using TextWrangler) I just insert a little comment when there is a diagram, map, drawing, picture, etc with what it shows (based on lecturers comments and my own understanding), and if there's a lot of images I get the lecturer to hand those out/post them on the net, and I can study the originals and compare them to my notes...

I would touch a tablet if someone gave it to me... :p :D

atszyman
Feb 17, 2005, 06:53 AM
your prayers are answered:

http://www.wacom.com/lcdtablets/Architecture.cfm

But we would really like an all in one solution, something like the attached picture but with a much cooler design.

the one advantage of taking notes with a PC is that it reads your scribbles and converts it to text, but i'm doubting that you can do the same with equations, greek alphabets, and diagrmas. so why not just pencil and paper?

There is more than one advantage than just changing scribbles to text. It could also change crooked lines to straight, it could very easily convert boxes in diagrams to square up, and it could also be made to recognize mathematical symbols and the Greek alphabet. Now all of my notes are cleaned up and searchable.

I wouldn't be opposed to text based input provided I could do something like

integrate from -infinity to +infinity (f(x)*exp(-j*2*pi*k*x)*dx)

and have it show up like the second picture, of course it would require me to learn another input language but it wouldn't be that hard.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Feb 17, 2005, 09:02 AM
There is more than one advantage than just changing scribbles to text. It could also change crooked lines to straight, it could very easily convert boxes in diagrams to square up, and it could also be made to recognize mathematical symbols and the Greek alphabet. Now all of my notes are cleaned up and searchable.

I wouldn't be opposed to text based input provided I could do something like

integrate from -infinity to +infinity (f(x)*exp(-j*2*pi*k*x)*dx)

and have it show up like the second picture, of course it would require me to learn another input language but it wouldn't be that hard.
Greek alphabet could be covered using unicode... maybe along with Mac OS X' own Character Palette...

For heavy Math notes I would go with something like Lyx (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/lyxmac.html), a WYSIWYG tetex editor...

But, hey... it boils down to taste and business: I just don't like tablets, and I don't think there's a viable marked for tablets in general, and especially for a marginal actor like Apple...

atszyman
Feb 17, 2005, 09:59 AM
Greek alphabet could be covered using unicode... maybe along with Mac OS X' own Character Palette...

For heavy Math notes I would go with something like Lyx (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/lyxmac.html), a WYSIWYG tetex editor...

But, hey... it boils down to taste and business: I just don't like tablets, and I don't think there's a viable marked for tablets in general, and especially for a marginal actor like Apple...

I'll give LyX a shot. It might change my mind.

But for now I still believe that Apple could make a killing if the PowerBook or iBook line would evolve to have a "flipping" touchscreen to allow for tablet use when applicable.

Westside guy
Feb 17, 2005, 08:57 PM
Given how tiny the PC tablet market has been, I'd be surprised if Apple would ever do this.

I've seen exactly one tablet PC in our entire department - it was owned by the professor who always buys the latest stuff. That was about 18 months ago, and still no one else seems to have one.

It really seems like a niche market.

dongmin
Feb 17, 2005, 09:41 PM
BTW, Apple has had a 'tablet.' It was called the Newton. It bombed, at least commercially. Apple is not getting back into that market unless they're convinced that they've got a home run on their hands a la the iPod. There is simply not a 'killer app' to go along with the hardware. Occassional note-taking doesn't justify creating a whole new form factor.

madrobby
Feb 18, 2005, 07:49 AM
BTW, Apple has had a 'tablet.' It was called the Newton. It bombed, at least commercially. Apple is not getting back into that market unless they're convinced that they've got a home run on their hands a la the iPod. There is simply not a 'killer app' to go along with the hardware. Occassional note-taking doesn't justify creating a whole new form factor.

That's why the PCs tablet don't sell: We have chairs and tables in our offices. And no one likes to walk around with some 2kg-3kg $2000 "tablet" hold with one arm, just waiting to hit the floor... It's only good for some very specialized uses.

Tablets will only enter wide usage if the have the form factor and weight of a PowerBook screen. I'd say 5 yrs. from now (if ever).

LaMerVipere
Feb 18, 2005, 10:10 AM
Do we?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm certainly not clamouring for one. I'd be happy with an ultralight 'book of some type though.

mischief
Feb 18, 2005, 10:23 AM
Well I'm often in a position where it would be very helpful to be able to sketch on my screen, either over an existing drawing (ie when a client wants to see how a certain feature of their house would look if we just changed X) or as the initial conceptual sketch that can then easily be imported without having to scan it.

Which CAD package are you using? When I was using ArchiCAD on-the-fly changes were so easy you actually had to dress it up a bit or clients would change the whole house in a few minutes. I kept a Wacom alright, but it was mainly to keep RMI's at bay. I'd switch off between a trackball and the Tablet.

Benj
Feb 18, 2005, 10:37 AM
If you think you can sell based solely on cool factor, think back the Cube.

Errrm, I thought the point was that the Cube didn't sell. As tablets don't really sell.