Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

141624-hong_kong_ifc_apple_500.jpg

Last week, we noted that Apple is apparently set to open its first retail store in Hong Kong by the end of the year, pursuing a 15,000 square-foot space in the IFC Mall.

A tipster by the name of Sean has sent us the above photo showing the space already sectioned off in the mall for Apple's store. While the coverings for the store are currently simple white wallboard, Sean tells us that ten store sites spanning two levels of the mall have been vacated to make room for Apple's new store.

Based on this information and an examination of the IFC Mall floor plans, we've been able to pinpoint the location of Apple's store (circled in blue on the images below) at the far eastern edge of the mall, close to Two IFC, one of the tallest office buildings in the world at well over 1300 feet, as well as a number of transit and ferry terminals.

141623-hong_kong_ifc_level_1_500.jpg

141624-hong_kong_ifc_level_2_500.jpg

Article Link: New Details of Apple's First Hong Kong Retail Store

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Considering how advanced HK is, am I wrong to be surprised that this is the first Apple store?

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
You would of thought they would have one by now, considering the Foxconn factory making all the products is just down the road in Shenzhen.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Bugs the hell out of me to see these huge new stores going up when the store right down the street from me is so noisy and jam packed all the time but nothing is done abou it. And five different store spaces all larger (a couple well over double in size) have emptied in the last 18 months. And given that the Apple store is the only place that seems to bring any real business, the mall management should be willing to charge lost nothing in rent, say just enough to cover utilities. Revenue sharing would still give then a small fortune

gpcovenant

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
Thats weird I was just there a few weeks ago and the Hugo Boss which is on the second floor in that location was still open with no signs of closing.

Will have to go check that out and take some pics. And its a good location for the mall. That side of the mall gets much less foot traffic so and Apple store will really help out every store on that side of the mall.

And yes its really bizarre its taken Apple this long to get a store in HK. It should have been one of the first international stores and definitely the first asian store. Apple's popularity is growing immensely in HK.

SiriusExcelsior

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
Canis Major
Last edited:

ryuok

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Hong Kong
Considering how advanced HK is, am I wrong to be surprised that this is the first Apple store?

That's precisely why it took this long. Real property is forbiddingly expensive in Hong Kong, even for highly profitable stores like the :apple: store. Also Hong Kong has the most sophisticated Commercial/Residential space integration, and shopping malls are so well managed that they never run out of tenants. Trying to clear a 25k sq ft space in a prime location is extremely costly and close to impossible, if not for the reputation of the Apple Store.

trfjason

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
Apple's market share in computers in Hong Kong is not that big, which explains why there hasn't been an Apple Store in Hong Kong. But the success of iPhone and iPad is making Apple a more popular brand. It will be nice if they open a store in HK, I don't like authorized resellers there, their services is no match for Apple Store.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Apple's Online Store and its authorized resellers in Hong Kong are really bad. They charge Apple's premium prices for all products including 3rd party cases but they don't care about their customers. :rolleyes:

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
with my cousin moving to Shenzhen, I now have another reason to visit Hong Kong. One of these days, I'm going to arrange a visit with her where I fly into Hong Kong, meet up with her for lunch, visit the apple store with her and buy an unlocked iPhone, have dinner with her, and then fly back to the US. Bank the frequent flyer miles and get the unlocked iPhone!

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
I just walked by this storefront a few nights ago, seemed odd it was all closed off. Now I know, sweet! :D

FilipH

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
Apple Land
That's precisely why it took this long. Real property is forbiddingly expensive in Hong Kong, even for highly profitable stores like the :apple: store. Also Hong Kong has the most sophisticated Commercial/Residential space integration, and shopping malls are so well managed that they never run out of tenants. Trying to clear a 25k sq ft space in a prime location is extremely costly and close to impossible, if not for the reputation of the Apple Store.

You are hitting the nail on the head with your statement. 100% true.

Having lived in HK, it is crazy crazy expensive for commercial real estate.

The IFC is the best possible location, but the rent per square foot will be one of the highest of any of their shops in the world. The fact that they were able to secure a big location at the IFC has definitely something to do with the apple brand. I'm looking forward to visit them here :)

Zeiss

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2006
Australia
you can buy an apple product anywhere in Hong Kong (even the local street vendor can sell you an iPhone). I was always surprised that there was no Apple Store in HK, but it is one of the easiest places in the world to buy istuff.

arahlen

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
Doesn't anybody find it a little bit strange that this location is less than 50 meters away from DG Lifestyle, an apple premium reseller?
Sure, IFC is a great location for an apple store, but is apple out to kill off its current resellers?

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Doesn't anybody find it a little bit strange that this location is less than 50 meters away from DG Lifestyle, an apple premium reseller?
Sure, IFC is a great location for an apple store, but is apple out to kill off its current resellers?

Not deliberately - but if a reseller gets caught in the crossfire, so be it.

I've had great service from the Apple guys up in Causeway Bay - bought my first ever iPod and then a Powerbook 12 from them. But it's high time HK had a corporate presence.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Yup, just installed 4.3 on my O2 contract; the hotspot button takes me to the 'buy the tethering bolt-on' page.

If I didn't have my unlimited data grandfathered from a couple of years ago, I would be moving on...

gpcovenant

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
I walked by yesterday and they have signs up saying the store will open Qtr 4 this year. Does not mention that its an apple store though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.