PDA

View Full Version : When display is asleep, trackpad motion does not wake it up. Is it just me?

PBF
Mar 4, 2011, 11:58 PM
Does anyone else's display not wake up when touching trackpad?

I'm on MacBook Air if that maters. Ta.

calderone
Mar 5, 2011, 12:03 AM
Same here.

metrica
Mar 5, 2011, 12:47 AM
Me too.

MBP 2010, 15inch i7

Gnuff
Mar 5, 2011, 04:06 AM
In my experience it never have, it didn't on my leopard macbook nor on my macbook pro with Snow Leopard.

Shorties
Mar 5, 2011, 09:08 AM
Not just in the OS itself but I noticed this while Installing it as well, It's actually better though, no accidental wakes now, and a simple brightness tap or caps lock tap wakes it up

punkrockscience
Mar 5, 2011, 09:17 AM
Same here. And it used to work on 10.6.

87racer
Mar 5, 2011, 03:13 PM
Does anyone else's display not wake up when touching trackpad?

I'm on MacBook Air if that maters. Ta.

It is possible that apple did this on purpose. With the Magic Mouse it is actually useful so bumping it doesn't wake up your computer. Not as useful for the trackpad since it is unlikely to bump it on accident. Hopefully it will be an option that you can choose whether or not to use in the final version.

Gnuff
Mar 6, 2011, 05:26 AM
In my experience it never have, it didn't on my leopard macbook nor on my macbook pro with Snow Leopard.

Stupid me, my lapstops wake up from the trackpad when the screen is off. it's when the machine is asleep it dosn't wake up from the trackpad. Saaarry

orthorim
Jul 21, 2011, 08:15 AM
Same here.

I wonder if that's a "feature" or a bug? It's definitely annoying.

Edit: It now looks definitely like a bug to me, I have narrowed the issue down as follows:

- It only affects "display sleep" which is usually set to a much shorter period than system sleep
- It only happens when running on battery

Prior to OS X 10.7, after the system entered display sleep, but not sleep, you could wipe the trackpad to wake the display. In OS X 10.7, that doesn't work anymore when running on battery.

When the system enters full sleep mode, e.g. the power light starts to pulsate, a trackpad touch does not wake it up, and never has, so Gnuff above was right as well.

Patrick J
Jul 21, 2011, 08:17 AM
This has been the way since the older builds.

Now you must click the trackpad or press a key.

Shivetya
Jul 21, 2011, 02:44 PM
Same issue with mouse movement, which used to work.

87racer
Jul 21, 2011, 03:05 PM
Same issue with mouse movement, which used to work.

It is now a feature. It has been there since the first developer preview and is designed so accidentally mouse touches do not wake your computer when you don't want them to(excellent on an iMac when you just bump your magic mouse but not so excellent on a laptop). If it was a bug they would definitely have fixed it through the course of several developer previews and it would most likely not be happening on all installs.

Also it is designed to work when the screen is off(not screensaver active) and in full sleep.

Madd the Sane
Jul 21, 2011, 04:08 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have the same problem with a trackball.