Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

How soon do you guys think the skins for the iPad 2 will be available? When is it usually within a week of release....or do some companies sell them beforehand?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I absolutely HATE those vinyl films as screen protectors.

Do yourself a favor and look at the dry application protectors such as those from SGP or Boxwave. IMHO the knock offs on ebay are generally good enough especially to get started with; looks like there are bunch out there already.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
Wrapsol has announced its protection for iPad 2, but there's no dry back protection = deal breaker. I did the wet method for the back of my 1st gen iPad, would rather not go through that again.

I'm hoping Power Support drops in with a Crystal Front/Back offering much like it does for the iPhone 4. I'm going to contact them tomorrow and see if I can pry some info.

Conspiracy theory: it's in the works. Take a look at the conspicuous disapearance of any iPad films on their page here:http://www.powersupportusa.com/accessories/ipad.html

:cool:

Are these really clear? I hate the ones that you can easily, especially the orange peel effect. Want to find one super clear.

I can vouch for BSE. No orange peel effect for back protection, didn't use them for front, so I wouldn't know about that.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Wrapsol has announced its protection for iPad 2, but there's no dry back protection = deal breaker. I did the wet method for the back of my 1st gen iPad, would rather not go through that again.

I'm hoping Power Support drops in with a Crystal Front/Back offering much like it does for the iPhone 4. I'm going to contact them tomorrow and see if I can pry some info.

Conspiracy theory: it's in the works. Take a look at the conspicuous disapearance of any iPad films on their page here:http://www.powersupportusa.com/accessories/ipad.html

:cool:

I can vouch for BSE. No orange peel effect for back protection, didn't use them for front, so I wouldn't know about that.

Please update thread if possible, I actually have a Power Support crystal clear on my iPhone and I love it. Would like one for the iPad 2.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
Please update thread if possible, I actually have a Power Support crystal clear on my iPhone and I love it. Would like one for the iPad 2.

As do I. I would love one for both the back and front of iPad 2.

Will definitely let you know if I/when I hear something. :)

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
Just wondering how these skins are dealing with the speaker grill that's on the back of iPad2. You probably don't want to cover up the grill. Anyone knows if they BSE or Zagg are leaving the speaker area uncovered?

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!

+2

I use to be a huge fan of Zagg, but after having SGP and PS - I don't think I will ever go back.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Just wondering how these skins are dealing with the speaker grill that's on the back of iPad2. You probably don't want to cover up the grill. Anyone knows if they BSE or Zagg are leaving the speaker area uncovered?

Good Question. Assume it just goes around the cutout.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal

Good question. Also, what about water damage in the speaker?

+2

I use to be a huge fan of Zagg, but after having SGP and PS - I don't think I will ever go back.

PS not coming until May. See the other thread. :(

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
The speaker isn't going to be covered. There is no way you can dry install a back film on the iPad.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
Nah just wipe with cloth as you clear bubbles out over that area, same as iPhone 4 and the camera cutout

Pardon my being dense, but how exactly would that work? You'd be wiping on the plastic pretty much by doing that, unless the speaker grill has a special cutout? :eek:

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Good question. Also, what about water damage in the speaker?

PS not coming until May. See the other thread. :(

Thanks for the follow-up. I checked with SGP today and they said it will be 4-6 weeks. I wonder if they (unofficially) use the same supplier as PS???

If they weren't so darn expensive I would pick up an iPad 1 protector and throw it on for now. If the screen is the same size, I guess I could always put on and if it effects the front camera I could peel it off slightly and hole punch where the camera lens is. :rolleyes:

I hate the thought of not having a protection. :mad: I guess that is the downside of Apple being so secretive with their product launches - it takes some time for the aftermarket to ramp up.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
I wouldn't get the first batches for any of these skins after my experience with the iPhone 4 launch.

People pre-ordered skins that were just loosely cut from these companies and turned out a lot of them were either rushed or the cuts weren't perfect.

Of course things were fine once the companies actually got the product to test -- so I don't see why people would order something that would ship the day the product comes out.

Wait a week or two -- at least that's what I'm doing.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
After I took a shot at Power Support on Twitter for taking so long to make their product available (not a hater, I like them, but disappointed), they told me it'll be a few weeks, which is a change from late April/May. :D

Still, I went ahead and ordered a BSE full body for iPad. Only cost $2 more than getting the back only, and it's always good to have a backup.

Definitely still waiting on the PS for the front. Nice to hear BSE is still tweaking the skin and that the speaker won't be covered.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
After I took a shot at Power Support on Twitter for taking so long to make their product available (not a hater, I like them, but disappointed), they told me it'll be a few weeks, which is a change from late April/May. :D

Oh this is good news for sure. Late April/May is just ludicrous. I'm going out of country on vacation end of this month so I'm hoping a "few weeks" translate to "not more than 2 weeks". :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.