PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Shield/InvisibleShield/bestskins for iPad 2?

bobright
Mar 5, 2011, 12:00 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

How soon do you guys think the skins for the iPad 2 will be available? When is it usually within a week of release....or do some companies sell them beforehand?

deeddawg
Mar 5, 2011, 08:10 AM
I absolutely HATE those vinyl films as screen protectors.

Do yourself a favor and look at the dry application protectors such as those from SGP or Boxwave. IMHO the knock offs on ebay are generally good enough especially to get started with; looks like there are bunch out there already.

diegosilang
Mar 6, 2011, 06:12 PM
BSE site states shipping on March 14, 2011. Link is http://www.bestskinsever.com/ipad-2-skin

I used them on my 1st gen iPad and both iPhone 3g & 4 and I find it easier to install than the dry method (just my experience).

tek210
Mar 6, 2011, 06:35 PM
BSE site states shipping on March 14, 2011. Link is http://www.bestskinsever.com/ipad-2-skin

I used them on my 1st gen iPad and both iPhone 3g & 4 and I find it easier to install than the dry method (just my experience).

Are these really clear? I hate the ones that you can easily, especially the orange peel effect. Want to find one super clear.

CristobalHuet
Mar 6, 2011, 06:55 PM
Wrapsol has announced its protection for iPad 2, but there's no dry back protection = deal breaker. I did the wet method for the back of my 1st gen iPad, would rather not go through that again.

I'm hoping Power Support drops in with a Crystal Front/Back offering much like it does for the iPhone 4. I'm going to contact them tomorrow and see if I can pry some info.

Conspiracy theory: it's in the works. Take a look at the conspicuous disapearance of any iPad films on their page here:http://www.powersupportusa.com/accessories/ipad.html

:cool:

Are these really clear? I hate the ones that you can easily, especially the orange peel effect. Want to find one super clear.

I can vouch for BSE. No orange peel effect for back protection, didn't use them for front, so I wouldn't know about that.

bobright
Mar 6, 2011, 07:03 PM
Wrapsol has announced its protection for iPad 2, but there's no dry back protection = deal breaker. I did the wet method for the back of my 1st gen iPad, would rather not go through that again.

I'm hoping Power Support drops in with a Crystal Front/Back offering much like it does for the iPhone 4. I'm going to contact them tomorrow and see if I can pry some info.

Conspiracy theory: it's in the works. Take a look at the conspicuous disapearance of any iPad films on their page here:http://www.powersupportusa.com/accessories/ipad.html

:cool:

I can vouch for BSE. No orange peel effect for back protection, didn't use them for front, so I wouldn't know about that.

Please update thread if possible, I actually have a Power Support crystal clear on my iPhone and I love it. Would like one for the iPad 2.

CristobalHuet
Mar 6, 2011, 07:04 PM
Please update thread if possible, I actually have a Power Support crystal clear on my iPhone and I love it. Would like one for the iPad 2.

As do I. I would love one for both the back and front of iPad 2.

Will definitely let you know if I/when I hear something. :)

hitekalex
Mar 6, 2011, 10:30 PM
Just wondering how these skins are dealing with the speaker grill that's on the back of iPad2. You probably don't want to cover up the grill. Anyone knows if they BSE or Zagg are leaving the speaker area uncovered?

rkdiddy
Mar 6, 2011, 10:38 PM

+2

I use to be a huge fan of Zagg, but after having SGP and PS - I don't think I will ever go back.

bobright
Mar 7, 2011, 11:05 AM
Just wondering how these skins are dealing with the speaker grill that's on the back of iPad2. You probably don't want to cover up the grill. Anyone knows if they BSE or Zagg are leaving the speaker area uncovered?

Good Question. Assume it just goes around the cutout.

GadgetAddicted
Mar 7, 2011, 11:06 AM
+2

I use to be a huge fan of Zagg, but after having SGP and PS - I don't think I will ever go back.

Whats that?

troop231
Mar 7, 2011, 11:26 AM
Whats that?

http://www.sgpstore.com/ and

http://www.powersupportusa.com/

CristobalHuet
Mar 7, 2011, 02:46 PM

Good question. Also, what about water damage in the speaker?

+2

PS not coming until May. See the other thread. :(

SchneiderMan
Mar 7, 2011, 02:49 PM
The speaker isn't going to be covered. There is no way you can dry install a back film on the iPad.

CristobalHuet
Mar 7, 2011, 02:53 PM
The speaker isn't going to be covered. There is no way you can dry install a back film on the iPad.

But won't fluid/liquid fall into the speaker grill during install?

bobright
Mar 7, 2011, 09:49 PM
But won't fluid/liquid fall into the speaker grill during install?

Nah just wipe with cloth as you clear bubbles out over that area, same as iPhone 4 and the camera cutout

CristobalHuet
Mar 7, 2011, 09:55 PM
Nah just wipe with cloth as you clear bubbles out over that area, same as iPhone 4 and the camera cutout

Pardon my being dense, but how exactly would that work? You'd be wiping on the plastic pretty much by doing that, unless the speaker grill has a special cutout? :o

lu0s3r322
Mar 8, 2011, 05:02 PM
just to clarify,

the films for the front of the ipad should be the same, correct?

Smileyboy
Mar 8, 2011, 05:16 PM
Are any of these anti glare films?

rkdiddy
Mar 8, 2011, 06:19 PM
Good question. Also, what about water damage in the speaker?

PS not coming until May. See the other thread. :(

Thanks for the follow-up. I checked with SGP today and they said it will be 4-6 weeks. I wonder if they (unofficially) use the same supplier as PS???

If they weren't so darn expensive I would pick up an iPad 1 protector and throw it on for now. If the screen is the same size, I guess I could always put on and if it effects the front camera I could peel it off slightly and hole punch where the camera lens is. :rolleyes:

I hate the thought of not having a protection. :mad: I guess that is the downside of Apple being so secretive with their product launches - it takes some time for the aftermarket to ramp up.

hitekalex
Mar 8, 2011, 07:05 PM
The speaker isn't going to be covered.

That's correct - BSE just confirmed that via e-mail. They also said "they are still working on the final design of the iPad 2 skin".

TroyBoy30
Mar 8, 2011, 07:13 PM
Always power support for me. Hard to believe they are taking so long to come out

Khryz
Mar 8, 2011, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't get the first batches for any of these skins after my experience with the iPhone 4 launch.

People pre-ordered skins that were just loosely cut from these companies and turned out a lot of them were either rushed or the cuts weren't perfect.

Of course things were fine once the companies actually got the product to test -- so I don't see why people would order something that would ship the day the product comes out.

Wait a week or two -- at least that's what I'm doing.

CristobalHuet
Mar 8, 2011, 10:54 PM
After I took a shot at Power Support on Twitter for taking so long to make their product available (not a hater, I like them, but disappointed), they told me it'll be a few weeks, which is a change from late April/May. :D

Still, I went ahead and ordered a BSE full body for iPad. Only cost $2 more than getting the back only, and it's always good to have a backup.

Definitely still waiting on the PS for the front. Nice to hear BSE is still tweaking the skin and that the speaker won't be covered.

Icaras
Mar 9, 2011, 05:58 PM
After I took a shot at Power Support on Twitter for taking so long to make their product available (not a hater, I like them, but disappointed), they told me it'll be a few weeks, which is a change from late April/May. :D

Oh this is good news for sure. Late April/May is just ludicrous. I'm going out of country on vacation end of this month so I'm hoping a "few weeks" translate to "not more than 2 weeks". :o

nightfly13
Mar 10, 2011, 10:20 AM
just to clarify,

the films for the front of the ipad should be the same, correct?

Incorrect. The actual screen seems identical, but the iPad 2 has a more narrow bezel, .2" narrower, according to Gruber's review at www.daringfireball.net. So I suppose an iPad 2 screen protector would overlap ever-so-slightly on the iPad 2.

xgman
Mar 10, 2011, 01:56 PM
Since allot of people will probably be ordering the Apple folding magnetic front cover, I would assume there will be a pretty big market for all sorts of styles of rear protection that will fit in conjunction with the Apple magnetic cover.

patp
Mar 10, 2011, 07:16 PM
I wouldn't get the first batches for any of these skins after my experience with the iPhone 4 launch.

People pre-ordered skins that were just loosely cut from these companies and turned out a lot of them were either rushed or the cuts weren't perfect.

Of course things were fine once the companies actually got the product to test -- so I don't see why people would order something that would ship the day the product comes out.

Makes the most sense to me. Best to wait until they actually have a real ipad2 in hand.

joltaxt
Mar 10, 2011, 07:27 PM

They aren't shipping them until March 14th (best skins ever). Meaning they WILL have tested them using a real iPad 2.

atomicbatteries
Mar 14, 2011, 08:36 PM
order the one for the ipad 1 and punch a hole in the front!