PDA

View Full Version : Smart Cover+Invisible Shield=Compatible?

AppleTech22
Mar 5, 2011, 09:02 AM
I am oh so tempted to buy the smart cover, and I will, provided it goes on there with the magnets over the invisible shield. What do you guys think? I really want the functionality of the case, but unlike Apple, we all know that the back will get scratched without something on it. Maybe once I find out that it doesn't work I can just cut out some of the shield for the cover?

What do you guys think, can those magnets go on over a thin layer of Invisible Shield?

ovrlrd
Mar 5, 2011, 09:12 AM
I don't see why not, the invisible shield is just a thin layer of plastic film, and last I checked that isn't anti-magnetic or something.

OneMike
Mar 5, 2011, 09:15 AM
I'd say yes. Even if not though I'd bet a smart cover compatible model will pop up. Hate invisible crap shields though. Just had to throw that in there.

ovrlrd
Mar 5, 2011, 09:18 AM
Hate invisible crap shields though. Just had to throw that in there.

Totally agree, it completely ruins the aluminum texture of the device. The only way it's a good idea is if you are gonna throw a case over it anyway to hide the crappy look of it.

sap12690
Mar 5, 2011, 09:28 AM
I hope smart coves still work, I'm a big fan of the Belkin protective clear screens, so that's what I'll be buying when they're available. Hopefully the smart cover will still work. I can't find a reason why it wouldn't. But you never know

Piggie
Mar 5, 2011, 09:41 AM
My biggest worry, from seeing the demo is that the magnets, due to them having to not affect the compass, are not going to be very strong.

I feel the people running demo's had obviously had some practice in using them in such a way to look good.

I honestly can see them being a pain it the butt.

For an iPad sitting on your desk, I'm sure they will be great. For actually picking the iPad up, putting in in your bag, and other uses I think the smart cover could well be a pain as it will keep pulling away from the body.

You really want the lovel strong neodymium magnets that would take a good pull to remove the cover, and it would stay in place unless you really wanted to remove it. then of course there would of been compass problems.

I honestly can see these being annoying as you will go to so something and the cover will pull away.

Call me stupid, but I'd actually of preferred the think Steve joked about as being stupid. Some kind of mini stainless steel / titanium tiny thumbscrew to hold it on. Anything which meant I could actually hold the iPad up by the cover.

As has been said, without question these WILL scratch the iPad side over time, they will slide a little as they are pulled and sliding two soft metals will create abrasion marks over time.

As you suggested a clear plastic shield you be the answer, but that will, by a tiny amount reduce the magnetic strength a tiny bit more.

The concept is good. I just think it's got issues right now.

BaBaBoooooooey
Mar 5, 2011, 09:56 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm not worried about the front getting scratched dueto the magnetic cover... It seems to have it taken care of.
The invisible shields usually come with a grit and back peice. Im just goig to use the back to protect agains scratches and add a little tack when I'm holding it.

ovrlrd
Mar 5, 2011, 09:56 AM
My biggest worry, from seeing the demo is that the magnets, due to them having to not affect the compass, are not going to be very strong
I honestly can see these being annoying as you will go to so something and the cover will pull away.

Check out this video, it shows someone pulling the iPad along a table by the Smart Cover. This shows a good example of the kind of strength it has. It might still come off on accident sometimes, but it's definitely not weak. I suspect this is due to the fact that magnets are actually inside the iPad itself and can easily be isolated away from the compass sensor (probably on the opposite side of where the hinge is. It's not hard to develop magnets that won't interfere with the compass. The whole "interfere with a compass" thing more refers to magnets being put right up against the compass sensor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xct-fU00SA#t=1m12

As has been said, without question these WILL scratch the iPad side over time, they will slide a little as they are pulled and sliding two soft metals will create abrasion marks over time.

As you suggested a clear plastic shield you be the answer, but that will, by a tiny amount reduce the magnetic strength a tiny bit more.

The concept is good. I just think it's got issues right now.

You might be right about the scratching, but we still don't know what materials are used for the hinge, but I guess time will tell. Overall I think the cover is not for people who are worried about scratches, it's more for people who want a nice portable stand for their iPad, as well as a nice feature with the auto sleep/wake function.

Piggie
Mar 5, 2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks for that video link.

It's hard to be 100% without trying for real I know.

Ideally I would like you to be able to hold the iPad cover and shake it a little, and the iPad would not fall away from the cover.

This would work with good enough magnets. Say for example it took 3lbs of force, enough for two iPads weight to remove the cover, then I'd be happy.
We will see.

As for scratch's I can actually see a lot of people putting a length of clear tape along the side of the iPad to protect it.

Cosmo M3
Mar 5, 2011, 10:17 AM
personally i feel that it's unnecessary to get the invisible shield on anything that's made from glass since most glass is pretty robust and scratch resistant

andiwm2003
Mar 5, 2011, 10:48 AM
I actuall don't like the looks of the smart covers but I will have to see them live to really know.

I don't think the invisible shield will be an issue. However I use a antiglare screen foil that is a tad thicker and there it could be that the smart cover comes of when you push the iPad into a bag.

In general I liked a silicone back and antiglare screen protector. That covers the iPad all around from scratches, adds little to the thickness and makes it easier to hold.

RadicalxEdward
Mar 8, 2011, 09:26 AM
personally i feel that it's unnecessary to get the invisible shield on anything that's made from glass since most glass is pretty robust and scratch resistant

It's definitely scratch resistant but FAR from scratch proof. My iphone has 2 or 3 little scratches on the screen that overall aren't a big deal, but it gets annoying sometimes when watching a movie or something. I'm picky about screen clarity, scratches, dust, finger prints, dead pixels, that sorta thing. so I'm definitely getting the invisible shield (already ordered it) cause I know those things can really take a beating. The plastic back of my iphone 3g is basically plastic sandpaper on the back from using it so long without a case. Just getting pushed around on a desk or cup holder or something scratches the plastic bits, and being in a bag or getting pushed on a desk face down will scratch the glass if there's any debris.

Piggie
Mar 11, 2011, 04:23 AM
Just to make it clear.

I'm not saying the Smart Cover will scratch the screen, there is no reason why that would happen unless you got some grit underneath it.

I'm saying the metal to metal magnetic connection of the Aluminium to Aluminium on the side of the iPad will get scratched.

Aluminium is very soft and you have to surfaces that are going to slide against each other, disconnect and reconnect, potentially many hundred times.

As it's not locked into position, as with a screw, this will also slide around a tiny amount in general use.

Whilst I don't expect massive gouges out the iPad body, I'm certain in time, when held in the ligh, you will see a market area where this connection takes place.

It's only cosmetic of course, and one the side, so it won't see seen unless you look for it I guess.

I know Steve jobs joked about screws, but to be honest, I would actually rather there was two small finger screws to hold it in place if you wanted the cover on permanently. I don't see why people would really want to be taking the cover on and off many times a day really.