Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Is the 2B RAM on the base 13.3" MBA enough for most users? This will be our first Mac computer and my wife will be the one using it mostly everyday. She will be mostly using it for web browsing, MS Office for Mac applications, Facetime, iTunes and Skype. We don't anticipate doing any video editing or Photoshop on it.

Also we plan to keep the computer for atleast a few years. Will the MBA with its Core 2 Duo chip and 2 GB RAM risk becoming obsolete within the next year or so with Sandybridge and Lion around the corner? Will it slow down to a crawl or something if we install Lion on it when it becomes available? How much of a future proofing does the current base model 13" MBA offer, if any?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Is the 2B RAM on the base 13.3" MBA enough for most users? This will be our first Mac computer and my wife will be the one using it mostly everyday. She will be mostly using it for web browsing, MS Office for Mac applications, Facetime, iTunes and Skype. We don't anticipate doing any video editing or Photoshop on it.

Most likely.

Will it slow down to a crawl or something if we install Lion on it when it becomes available?

If the hardware is not supported you will likely just not be able to install it.

How much of a future proofing does the current base model 13" MBA offer, if any?

Not much. You can't upgrade pretty much anything and the hardware is already old.

sgtalexmom

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
get the 4 gig

my 13" mba with 4gig ram is my first mac. i went with the extra ram based on what i read in these forums, and because you can't upgrade later. its worth the extra $100.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I would get the 4GB model. The minimum RAM for lion is set to be 2GB, so future releases may require more, and it can't be upgraded. Otherwise, I imagine it should last at least a few years

Hands Sandon

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
Chances are you'll be fine with 2GB for years to come. If you're not confident of that, get the 4GB. I got the 2GB and it's more than ample for my needs.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
If you guys had to choose between the two which one would you get:

1) 13" MBA (1.86 GHz + 2GB RAM + 128 GB SSD) on Macconnection - Final price $1189 (no tax and free shipping)

2) 13" MBA (1.86 GHz + 4GB RAM + 128 GB SSD) at Apple Refurbished - Final price $1305 (including tax and free shipping)

Is the extra $116 worth it for the extra 2GB RAM keeping in mind that the one from Apple is also refurbished and hence not new.

Hands Sandon

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008

1) 13" MBA (1.86 GHz + 2GB RAM + 128 GB SSD) on Macconnection - Final price $1189 (no tax and free shipping)

2) 13" MBA (1.86 GHz + 4GB RAM + 128 GB SSD) at Apple Refurbished - Final price $1305 (including tax and free shipping)

Is the extra $116 worth it for the extra 2GB RAM keeping in mind that the one from Apple is also refurbished and hence not new.

I used to live in the US and sometimes I wish I still did, only because I paid £1,122 which is $1,825 for the 13" base.

Depends what you do with it as to RAM. You're definitely better off having the 4 GB's if you can afford it, but you may never notice the difference. Resale value with the box might add on nearly the same as the extra 2GB's, so probably hardly any difference there.

Personally I always buy through Apple because they've always been great when I've had any issues (except for very real and very annoying reception issues because of the antenna design on the iPhone 4... they sucked big time then). I'd get the 4GB's refurb. You'll help pay for better local services by paying the tax too, maybe ;) .

Last edited:

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010

yes it worth going for the refurb..it will look like new and you will get a great deal....

if your keeping it several years the extra $116 is well worth it

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
It might be enough for now. But will it be enough in 6 months? In 12 months? What will you do if it's not enough? You cannot upgrade it yourself, and selling it might be difficult.

Go for the 4 GB. It's only $116 extra in your case, and it's certainly worth it.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011

Oh man, this one is already gone from the Apple refurbished site. :(

I had no idea it would sell of so quickly. Anybody familiar with buying Apple refurbished know if they what kind of inventory numbers they maintain for the refurbished items and if they constantly restock them? If yes, how soon can I expect the model that I want to be back there? Also do you recommend buying immediately if you see something good at the refurbished site before it goes out of stock?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Oh man, this one is already gone from the Apple refurbished site. :(

I had no idea it would sell of so quickly. Anybody familiar with buying Apple refurbished know if they what kind of inventory numbers they maintain for the refurbished items and if they constantly restock them? If yes, how soon can I expect the model that I want to be back there? Also do you recommend buying immediately if you see something good at the refurbished site before it goes out of stock?

They go quickly but get restocked several times per week. From Google type refurbished plus specs you want then put site:apple.com. it will show the exact Mac you want and probably say out of stock. Refresh page a few times per day until available. The longest I have ever waited was two weeks. However the current MBAs find there way there a few times per week but 4GB RAM low end 11" at $929 and low end 13" at $1189 get sold out fast. If you keep checking you will find it within a few days. Good luck.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
always get more ram! (with airs even more important,as ram can't be upgraded!)

and the refurbs can be better then new...there completely gone over.

just check back daily,it shouldn't take too long.....

App Downloader

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
Get 4GB RAM

My MacBook Air with 4GB RAM never slows down with that much RAM. Also, you can't upgrade your RAM in the future. So I recommend 4GB.:apple:

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
They go quickly but get restocked several times per week. If you keep checking you will find it within a few days. Good luck.

I kept refreshing the Apple refurbish store for the past two days. I just now saw that the 4GB RAM model was back in stock at the same price - $1189. I placed the order immediately, cuz I didn't want to lose it this time :)

RFB MBAIR 13.3/1.86/4/128FLASH-USA
P/N: G0JG0LL/A

Tell me I am going to love this computer! I am so excited to own my first Apple computer!

drbf

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
I agree, get the 4GB. I am running windows 7 in vm and it runs faster than in my windows box

zenio

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
The new upcoming OS LION is likely to crawl on a mere 2GB. If you can live with that then have at it.

I bought a BTO with 4GB since I plan on using the latest OS.

Resale on 2 GB models will collapse once Lion is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.