PDA

View Full Version : All in One G3

Masao[RY]
Feb 17, 2005, 06:31 AM
Quite a few questions : ) Alright next week I'm going to purchase an all in one G3 and I was wondering if I bought a new PCI video card for it, would Mac OS 9 & Mac OS 10.2.8 (Might hack 10.3 on it, but most likely not) use the new card to draw the images onto the internal CRT or would both OSes still use the intergrated graphics?

I really want to still be able to use the built in screen to keep the all in one form factor, but I would love to have a new graphics card to support Quartz and what not. I was also thinking of buying a G4 upgrade, does anyone have any advice on upgrading the CPU?

Also on the issue of Firewire/USB2 PCI cards, could anyone recommend one that is known to work in the beige G3s, that won't break the bank? I was breifly looking at FW/USB cards at Mac Mall and I spotted one that noted it didn't support "beige" G3s.. Thanks!

chv400
Feb 17, 2005, 07:17 AM
First technicalyQuartz isnt supported on any PCI video card but there is a Hack that enables it but can possibly reduce the computer's performance.
PCI Extreme. Gettting a new vid card to work on the interal screen could take some work since i'm not too sure if new vidcards have an internal connector on it like the All in one.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16006

Here are some CPU upgrades from OWC

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=40&type=Processor&TI=%23TimeFormat%28Now%28%29%2C+&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades

I'm pretty sure the the All in one wont take a FSB hit like the B&W do with high sppeed G4 cards (about 600mhz or 700 mhz not sure which) since the all in ones FSB is already 66mhz

USB2 Firewire
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/item/3176/STIFWUSB2/

There were others there but i noticed this one included the All in one in the supported computers list, but it is a bit more expensive than the other choices.

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Page.cfm?Parent=1093&Title=&Template=1

redeye be
Feb 17, 2005, 07:44 AM
Well Masao[RY] chv400 know's his stuff.
helped me out not long ago with a similar question.

i should work

chv400
Feb 17, 2005, 05:04 PM
This may be some what bad news to you I jsut checked my Radeon 7000 and 9200 PCI cards and i didnt see an internal connection for where the built in dislplay would go. The Original Radeon Card may have it but i dont have one of those to check and PCI Extreme will only work on a Radeon Card. It may be possible to connect the internal connector to one of the cards external connections buy taking out a PCI slot cover and plugging it in like that in some way. It may be possible since the monitor connection needs to be removable inorder to take out the motherbaord. If you dont plan on putting the computer into OS 10.3 it shouldnt really bother you all that much since the only Quartz effect youd seen often would be minimizing windows so it shouldt damage the OS X experience too badly.... however if you do go into 10.3 you may be somewhat dissapointed since Expose is accelerated using quartz and without it you get ~2-3 frames and it eats your cpu like madness, you'll see the laod go from .79 to 10 in the push of a button. (F9)

Masao[RY]
Feb 27, 2005, 06:03 PM
This may be some what bad news to you I jsut checked my Radeon 7000 and 9200 PCI cards and i didnt see an internal connection for where the built in dislplay would go. The Original Radeon Card may have it but i dont have one of those to check and PCI Extreme will only work on a Radeon Card. It may be possible to connect the internal connector to one of the cards external connections buy taking out a PCI slot cover and plugging it in like that in some way. It may be possible since the monitor connection needs to be removable inorder to take out the motherbaord. If you dont plan on putting the computer into OS 10.3 it shouldnt really bother you all that much since the only Quartz effect youd seen often would be minimizing windows so it shouldt damage the OS X experience too badly.... however if you do go into 10.3 you may be somewhat dissapointed since Expose is accelerated using quartz and without it you get ~2-3 frames and it eats your cpu like madness, you'll see the laod go from .79 to 10 in the push of a button. (F9)
Thanks for the information. Well I've decided to leave 9.2.2 on it for now and I've put in a CD-RW drive. Beyond that I'm just going to leave it as is, until I get a little more cash to spend. I may buy a USB card for it. Thanks again!