PDA

View Full Version : Any online places to get the 2 w/o tax?

freeman727
Mar 5, 2011, 07:46 PM
I see a lot of places to get the iPad 1 without tax but none of them are advertising the iPad 2. Do you think places like powermax.com, vanns.com and abt.com will carry the iPad 2 on launch day?

iMattcotv
Mar 5, 2011, 08:05 PM
I see a lot of places to get the iPad 1 without tax but none of them are advertising the iPad 2. Do you think places like powermax.com, vanns.com and abt.com will carry the iPad 2 on launch day?

There are places that sell the iPad without taxes??

deeddawg
Mar 5, 2011, 08:10 PM

Specific to the US, any online retailer without a presence in your state would not charge you sales tax. Amazon, Macmall, BH Photo, J&R, and others -- depending on where you are.

As to whether they'd have them on the 11th or whether you'd have to wait is another matter.

Also, technically most (?) states would say that if you don't pay sales tax to the vendor you're supposed to pay Use tax directly to the state -- but as there's no real audit/enforcement mechanism that's not a concern currently. :D

SuperCachetes
Mar 5, 2011, 08:11 PM

Yes. The internet.

hitekalex
Mar 5, 2011, 09:16 PM
Yes. The internet.

That is actually false. All resellers that sell iPad have physical presence in my state, so I get charged taxes Internet or not. The only Apple reseller that doesn't charge taxes here is Amazon, however they don't carry iPad.

mrbrown
Mar 5, 2011, 09:18 PM
Happen to live anywhere near New Hampshire? No sales tax in the entire state...

You still owe "use tax" to your home state, though, no matter where you buy it "tax free." There's no such thing as a free lunch... but the likelihood of your home state actually auditing your online / out-of-state purchases is incredibly low.

Blorzoga
Mar 5, 2011, 09:24 PM

You still owe "use tax" to your home state, though, no matter where you buy it "tax free." There's no such thing as a free lunch... but the likelihood of your home state actually auditing your online / out-of-state purchases is incredibly low.

An individual NEVER pays use tax. You'd have to be a total schmuck to remit use tax to your state. Businesses, on the other hand, are regularly audited for use tax.

hitekalex
Mar 5, 2011, 09:30 PM
An individual NEVER pays use tax. You'd have to be a total schmuck to remit use tax to your state. Businesses, on the other hand, are regularly audited for use tax.

Just because people "NEVER" (according to you anyway) remit out-of-state use taxes - doesn't make the practice legal. There is nothing in the tax code that limits use taxes to the businesses.

And good luck with your "you'd have to be a total schmuck.." defense line with the IRS, when you do get audited.

me2000
Mar 5, 2011, 09:33 PM
Just because people "NEVER" (according to you anyway) remit out-of-state use taxes - doesn't make the practice legal. There is nothing in the tax code that limits use taxes to the businesses.

And good luck with your "you'd have to be a total schmuck.." defense line with the IRS, when you do get audited.

IRS doesn't care about use tax. That would have to be the Dept of Revenue in your state.

svenn
Mar 5, 2011, 09:36 PM

And if you're on the W(rong) coast, Oregon also has 0 sales tax.

deeddawg
Mar 5, 2011, 11:37 PM

Correct; business will pay it because they run a good chance of an audit. Individuals typically wouldn't due to the vanishingly small chance of getting a caught. Doesn't change that it's technically owed by an individual, however. :)

Sydde
Mar 6, 2011, 01:01 AM
Use Small Dog (http://www.smalldog.com). They are based in Vermont no sales tax, and you get little toy dogs with every order :)

Chilean.Miner
Mar 6, 2011, 04:03 AM

you can buy apple products at Veteran's Hospitals. I know they have ipads but not sure when they would get ipad2. It's nice shopping in their general stores.

thetruth1985
Mar 6, 2011, 04:36 AM
Also any military base and aafes.com charges no tax. I doubt they will have it on release day but I've been wrong before. You would also need someone with access in order to buy from here.

iSingandiDance
Mar 6, 2011, 05:24 AM
Good question.

I'm seriously considering waiting until Amazon has them in stock. Can't beat no tax + free 2-day shipping.

mrbrown
Mar 8, 2011, 05:01 PM

Oh, states don't do audits? That's hilarious.

I know people that have ended up having to pay back use taxes. How? I represented them when I was in law school. They would get audited for some other reason (or randomly) and during the course of the audit... well, you get the picture.

Louisiana is notoriously bad about actually enforcing their use tax. About 10 years ago when e-Commerce was really exploding, they would blacklist folks on the DOR website for not paying their use taxes... and these were normal, individual consumers, not businesses or business owners.

D1G1T4L
Mar 8, 2011, 05:48 PM
AAFES. Just don't expect them to have then on Friday :(

Take that back. Just checked the AAFES website and looks like they will be available friday for order. So if you are military or a dependent.....might be worth it to go that route.

arcsbite
Mar 8, 2011, 07:06 PM
Use Small Dog (http://www.smalldog.com). They are based in Vermont no sales tax, and you get little toy dogs with every order :)

sadly they don't sell iPads through the online store, just accessories

Goldinboy17
Mar 8, 2011, 07:42 PM
Please let me know if you find a reseller that will sell them at or near launch date without charging sales tax, I'd definitely prefer avoiding those extra $85.

jshort
Mar 8, 2011, 07:49 PM
You can buy it tax-free in Delaware.

Julien
Mar 8, 2011, 07:51 PM
You can buy it tax-free in Delaware.

Link to Delaware's online Apple sales site?:eek:

arthursiew
Mar 8, 2011, 07:52 PM
Please let me know if you find a reseller that will sell them at or near launch date without charging sales tax, I'd definitely prefer avoiding those extra $85.

I would definitely order from Abt.com. They said it will be available for pre-order this Friday. In addition to no sales tax, Ebates offers 2% cash back on Abt.com purchases. It will be worth saving on tax and getting the cash back. :D

rdowty
Mar 8, 2011, 07:53 PM
MacMall has them advertised on their web page

http://www.macmall.com/n/Ipad-2/macCustomPages-3628

ghostlyorb
Mar 8, 2011, 07:56 PM

amazon.. when they sell it.

Goldinboy17
Mar 8, 2011, 08:15 PM

I would definitely order from Abt.com. They said it will be available for pre-order this Friday. In addition to no sales tax, Ebates offers 2% cash back on Abt.com purchases. It will be worth saving on tax and getting the cash back. :D

Thanks you two!
Update: Guess neither can ship out orders until Monday, not sure if I want to wait so long! :o

phobic99
Mar 8, 2011, 08:29 PM
AAFES. Just don't expect them to have then on Friday :(

Take that back. Just checked the AAFES website and looks like they will be available friday for order. So if you are military or a dependent.....might be worth it to go that route.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

arthursiew
Mar 8, 2011, 08:31 PM

I think MacMall charges sales tax if it's shipped to California.

Thanks you two!
Update: Guess neither can ship out orders until Monday, not sure if I want to wait so long! :o

If you can't, you can pay the sales tax and wait in line (maybe) if you want to get in on Friday.

Goldinboy17
Mar 8, 2011, 08:40 PM
I think MacMall charges sales tax if it's shipped to California.

If you can't, you can pay the sales tax and wait in line (maybe) if you want to get in on Friday.

Yeah, I guess I'll have to go to Best Buy and just pay the sales tax. O'well. A friend's always telling me how much he hates it when people skip out and order things online to avoid sales tax >.>

dadoftwogirls
Mar 8, 2011, 09:30 PM
That is actually false. All resellers that sell iPad have physical presence in my state, so I get charged taxes Internet or not. The only Apple reseller that doesn't charge taxes here is Amazon, however they don't carry iPad.

You sir, are correct.

Melvin 33
Mar 8, 2011, 10:28 PM
Do you have any info about websites that ship the iPad outside of the US before March 25th? I'm considering this one:
www.ipad2worldwide.com
Any chance you've heard of it? I'm in Germany and I really don't want to wait until March 25th...

toshibauser
Mar 8, 2011, 10:35 PM

I am from New York city. Will I need to pay tax if I order iPad 2 Wifi 16G from MacMall? I am a college student and every penny means a lot to me. Paying 50 on tax is just too much. I rather want to spend that on a smart cover. It doesn't make much difference for me to wait for a couple more days. :apple:

benhollberg
Mar 8, 2011, 10:37 PM
Tell me what iPad you want, I'll buy it for you then you buy it from me with a $100 premium and I won't charge you tax.

arthursiew
Mar 8, 2011, 10:47 PM
I am from New York city. Will I need to pay tax if I order iPad 2 Wifi 16G from MacMall? I am a college student and every penny means a lot to me. Paying 50 on tax is just too much. I rather want to spend that on a smart cover. It doesn't make much difference for me to wait for a couple more days. :apple:

Like I said earlier, get it from Abt.com and you will get charged no sales tax plus you can get 2% cash back with Ebates.

mdlooker
Mar 8, 2011, 10:53 PM
The AAFES.com will have them for sell on the 11th but like someone said earlier, you will need someone in the military to order for you. The PX/BX's also don't do tax but they may not have them on the 11th. Still TBD.

toshibauser
Mar 8, 2011, 10:58 PM
The AAFES.com will have them for sell on the 11th but like someone said earlier, you will need someone in the military to order for you. The PX/BX's also don't do tax but they may not have them on the 11th. Still TBD.

Too bad, I know nobody in the military. :(

ucfgrad93
Mar 8, 2011, 10:59 PM
Do you have any info about websites that ship the iPad outside of the US before March 25th? I'm considering this one:
www.ipad2worldwide.com
Any chance you've heard of it? I'm in Germany and I really don't want to wait until March 25th...

It wouldn't be worth that much to me to get it 10 days early.

toshibauser
Mar 8, 2011, 11:01 PM
Like I said earlier, get it from Abt.com and you will get charged no sales tax plus you can get 2% cash back with Ebates.

I don't see ABT.com has iPad 2 on sale on their website. Are you sure they will have iPad 2 this Friday? :confused:

Sydde
Mar 8, 2011, 11:02 PM
sadly they don't sell iPads through the online store, just accessories

Is that all the time, or just for this close-out?

jedolley
Mar 8, 2011, 11:04 PM

Also, when I was visiting the PX shortly after last years launch they were selling the iPad at a slight discount. The 16GB WiFi was $479 instead of $499... I have no clue whether they will do the same with the iPad 2, but that would definitely make it the best deal if you can get it. I may have to ask my dad for his AAFES login to check it out.

SuperCachetes
Mar 8, 2011, 11:11 PM

Uh, no, it's actually true. I didn't use any qualifiers like "in every situation." Even if you could point to the fact that you and OP live in the same state (which isn't apparent here), it still wouldn't make what I said untrue. But thanks for the thought.

Anyway, you can get the iPad via Amazon.com, and Amazon even fulfills some of the third-party orders. Are you saying that every single third-party vendor that sells through Amazon has a physical presence where you live?

mdlooker
Mar 8, 2011, 11:21 PM
Also, when I was visiting the PX shortly after last years launch they were selling the iPad at a slight discount. The 16GB WiFi was $479 instead of $499... I have no clue whether they will do the same with the iPad 2, but that would definitely make it the best deal if you can get it. I may have to ask my dad for his AAFES login to check it out.

The only thing they have on there right now is Ipad 2nd generation...start selling 5pm CST but nothing else. Asked them about shipping and they said that it will be coming straight from the dealer so not sure about delivery options either. Just hoping to call on Thurs. and find out that the PX/BX's will have them on Friday.

arthursiew
Mar 8, 2011, 11:22 PM
I don't see ABT.com has iPad 2 on sale on their website. Are you sure they will have iPad 2 this Friday? :confused:

They said that it will be available for pre-order on Friday. No word on when it will actually ship.

abt.com/blog

Goldinboy17
Mar 8, 2011, 11:50 PM
Geez Amazon sale agents are completely full of it! I know I was a bit rude towards the end but the fact that she was completely bs'ing irked me >.>

Me:Will you offer the iPad 2 upon it's release?

Kelly:Hi, *. We will have the iPad2 when it is released, though you may wish to pre-order, as sometimes items can be sold out within seconds, especially of they are a popular item.

Me:I'm sorry, I thought you couldn't preorder the iPad 2?

Kelly:It should be available a few days before the release.

Me:Ok, the iPad's going to be released on Friday. That's three days from now. I know Apple isn't allowing any preorders for the device, they've said so. Do you have a definite answer?

Kelly:If the iPad 2 isn't going to be available for pre-release then it will be available on Friday.

Kelly from Amazon.com has left the conversation.

toshibauser
Mar 9, 2011, 09:53 AM
What I will do on Friday is to place my order on Abt.com or MacMall.com in the morning if they don't charge sale tax shippin to New York. Otherwise, I will go to the 5th Ave. apple store in the afternoon and pick up one from there. If there is no way to avoid paying sales tax in New York, I would rather paying it in the apple store on Friday. At least, I can get it on hand on the release day. :apple:

jedolley
Mar 9, 2011, 10:04 AM
The only thing they have on there right now is Ipad 2nd generation...start selling 5pm CST but nothing else. Asked them about shipping and they said that it will be coming straight from the dealer so not sure about delivery options either. Just hoping to call on Thurs. and find out that the PX/BX's will have them on Friday.

Thanks for the info. My Dad is the one with the access to AAFES so getting it in store isn't an option for me unless I ask him to get it and send it to me (we live in different states). I could have him order it for me online, but not sure if I am willing to wait. :D