PDA

View Full Version : can someone clarify the bluetooth modem/phone thing for me?

chaos86
Feb 17, 2005, 10:15 AM
Ok so I'm looking into a sony-ericsson t68i with at&t/cingular. Now if I get one of those and pair it with my powerbook to make it work like a modem, and tell it to dial my ISP, will that work? Or do I need to pay att/cingular lots of money to enable the data feature or something?

thanks,
Chris

Applespider
Feb 17, 2005, 10:25 AM
Depends on the service plan that you are on and how you want to connect.

I use mine with GPRS to get a slightly higher speed but then it comes out of my data allowance.

I guess you could connect by dialling in direct but I think that might be pretty slow. Whether your network can identify ISP data calls and charge accordingly is something you may have to ask them directly.

chaos86
Feb 17, 2005, 11:21 AM
but i mean, if the t68i knows how to talk like a modem, can the phone company even tell that whats going through is data? do they care?

in the case of normal 56k modem ISPs, its just a modem making funny noises through the phone line, and as far as the phone comapny cares its like a normal phone call.

so is it right to assume that cellphone lines could be used the same way?

conversly i could carry around one of those ancient modems that you stick over the microphone and speaker holes on the phone? what dya think?

expergo
Feb 17, 2005, 11:40 AM
Your carrier must have CSD (i think) enabled on their network, which it may not since it's old technology and unused.

Rogers (GSM) for me doesn't have it either so I can't dial like a regular phone. That also means you can't fax from your cell if you were thinking of bt/fax, which would be pretty cool.

chaos86
Feb 18, 2005, 08:00 AM
well that sucks. i have an unlimited phone plan, a dsl connection that also provides dialup if you want (though most dont), can get a bt phone (old one is dying anyway), and i wanted to be able to use the internet while on a bus driving up I-85!

anyone else know anything about this?

evil_santa
Feb 18, 2005, 08:34 AM
I had a year of hell with my t68i, i liked the phone but it just wouldn't hold the connection (any type of call) I got through at least 4 of them an all developed the same "fault". I now got a nokia 6600 its much better!

My network (orange in the uk) allows me to call as a normal dial up & i get charged the same as a normal voice call, or i can opt for the more expensive GPRS service. As I need to dial up from the laptop occasionally it is cheaper to use the slower non GPRS service. I think its something like a 14k modem, very slow.