Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like your Magic Trackpad?

• Yes, I love it and always use it. I recommend it.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I like it, its good, and if you have £60 to spare, go for it!

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Its OK, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Do not buy it, its not very useful!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not have one, but want one.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • I do not have one, and will never plan to!

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nathanl1192

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
From the moment it was announced, I hated the Magic Trackpad. But now, using Lion with my Magic Mouse, I'm considering getting one.

The gestures on the Magic mouse are confusing, and sometimes hard to do on such a small surface. Inverted scrolling especially feels much nicer on a trackpad than a mouse....

Does anyone recommend anything different? Do you like your trackpad or hate it?

Fill out the Poll.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
I bought one for my iMac some months ago, because I like the trackpad on my 2009 MBP. But I haven't used the Magic Trackpad that often and am now selling it.

gjw4u

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
Switzerland
I use the Magic Trackpad with my iMac, & prefer it to the Magic Mouse. Go to an Apple store & give it's try, if you buy from Apple, you can always return if you do not end up loving it.

E85Mac

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2011
I've been using the trackpad for about 3 months and the gestures are definately easier on it. I actually keep both the trackpad and MM on my computer desk as the kids prefer the mouse...

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I've been using the trackpad for about 3 months and the gestures are definately easier on it. I actually keep both the trackpad and MM on my computer desk as the kids prefer the mouse...

I keep them side by side as well, and use whichever is the most comfortable for what I am doing at the time. For me it is a supplement to the Magic Mouse, not a replacement. I enjoy using both for different things.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
I got the Magic Trackpad on the day it was released, and much prefer it over any mouse. It is so much more intuitive to use than a mouse, and has served me well so far. If you're inclined to get one, go ahead. You've always got the 14 day return window.

denrock

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
NJ, USA
I love it. I was dying for a trackpad for my imac on which I could do all the multi-touch gestures like I could do on my macbook pro. Before the magic trackpad came out I was using a wacom tablet that offered a few gestures but nothing compared to the magic trackpad. So i bought the magic trackpad the first day it came out and haven't looked back since. It just seems so much more intuitive and user friendly than a mouse and you just have so many ways of interacting with your computer with all the possible gestures. I feel so limited now when I'm at work using a mouse (that and the fact that at work they use windows xp).

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
It's fantastic. The freedom it allows with all kinds of gestures is pretty amazing.

lotones

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
I agree. Easily the best peripheral I've ever bought for my computer. And I never really liked notebook trackpads because I have large fingers. The mt is the perfect size for me. The time between thought and cursor movement is almost instant.

Swiping and tapping around the internet definitely feels more like "surfing" than "browsing". BetterTouchTool added even more "magic", mainly just tab swiping in safari.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the magic trackpad. Talked my friend into buying one with her new iMac and she loves hers too.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
What I like with trackpads is that they don't lag. Apple mice lag like hell and most other mice do as well. It's not obvious but after using a Wacom tablet you notice even the slightest lag and imprecise movement. For that reason, I totally recommend the Magic Trackpad, although I don't have one, I have a MacBook Pro and it's probably almost the same thing but smaller.

The only problem with trackpads is dragging, it's much more difficult than with a mouse, you either have to resort to drag lock which causes a delay in single-clicks, or you have to use two hands (one to click and another to move the cursor), or with one hand you will have much less freedom of movement with your hand.

And of course the gestures work much better on a trackpad, go get one!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.