PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions regarding Lion and Safari

Serenity64
Mar 6, 2011, 11:52 AM
I just installed Lion on my 15'' macbook pro notebook. I won't be installing it on my mba yet since the Lion beta is making my pro run hotter and with less battery time.

Anyway, my first question;

If I make Lion my main OS (no comments on this please, for me it is stable enough), will I be able to do an archive and install when the final release comes out or will I have to start from scratch. If that is not the case, would I mess something up if I install the final release of Lion, then use time machine to restore my account etc from the beta install of Lion?

Second question;

Since I started using Lion I have only used Safari for my primary web browser. I did not like it before but according to me it has become a lot faster. I used Opera web browser before (and have always been using). I would now like to stick with Safari but there is one essential function I am missing a lot.
In opera, I could type g, followed by the search term in the address bar and opera would direct me to a google search with the term I entered. I could also search like this at youtube and a lot of other search providers. Is this possible in Safari, maybe I need a plugin?
Another reason that makes me want to switch to Safari is the fact that it, according to me, fits better with OS X than Opera does. It doesn't look that out of place. Really hard to describe.. <--- This is coming from an Opera fanboy.

On a side note I just want to say, I have an authentic version of OS X Lion as a developer -and- I find Lion to be amazing. Not that many changes but the computer itself runs smoother and it looks polished overall.

If someone knows a solution to any of the above questions I would love to know:) Thanks!

Kahnyl
Mar 6, 2011, 12:37 PM
I think the Safari functionality you're looking for can be done with Glimmerblocker. It might be a bit more than what you need it for but I think I've seen some settings in there for just what you've mentioned. I don't have it installed anymore so I can't check.

wrldwzrd89
Mar 6, 2011, 12:44 PM
I just installed Lion on my 15'' macbook pro notebook. I won't be installing it on my mba yet since the Lion beta is making my pro run hotter and with less battery time.

Anyway, my first question;

If I make Lion my main OS (no comments on this please, for me it is stable enough), will I be able to do an archive and install when the final release comes out or will I have to start from scratch. If that is not the case, would I mess something up if I install the final release of Lion, then use time machine to restore my account etc from the beta install of Lion?

Second question;

Since I started using Lion I have only used Safari for my primary web browser. I did not like it before but according to me it has become a lot faster. I used Opera web browser before (and have always been using). I would now like to stick with Safari but there is one essential function I am missing a lot.
In opera, I could type g, followed by the search term in the address bar and opera would direct me to a google search with the term I entered. I could also search like this at youtube and a lot of other search providers. Is this possible in Safari, maybe I need a plugin?
Another reason that makes me want to switch to Safari is the fact that it, according to me, fits better with OS X than Opera does. It doesn't look that out of place. Really hard to describe.. <--- This is coming from an Opera fanboy.

On a side note I just want to say, I have an authentic version of OS X Lion as a developer -and- I find Lion to be amazing. Not that many changes but the computer itself runs smoother and it looks polished overall.

If someone knows a solution to any of the above questions I would love to know:) Thanks!
There's no direct way to upgrade developer seeds of Lion to the final version. However... I'm sure you could use Migration Assistant and your Time Machine backups to work around this limitation. Once the final version arrives, wipe the disk clean, install Lion, then migrate your old backup.

Serenity64
Mar 6, 2011, 12:53 PM
There's no direct way to upgrade developer seeds of Lion to the final version.I think the Safari functionality you're looking for can be done with Glimmerblocker. It might be a bit more than what you need it for but I think I've seen some settings in there for just what you've mentioned. I don't have it installed anymore so I can't check.

I am installing and trying this right now. I really hope it works, it would be awesome.

There's no direct way to upgrade developer seeds of Lion to the final version. However... I'm sure you could use Migration Assistant and your Time Machine backups to work around this limitation. Once the final version arrives, wipe the disk clean, install Lion, then migrate your old backup.

This is great news for me! I will wipe my mbp tomorrow and start using Lion as my only and main OS. Im really impressed of the fact that it is so stable even though it is a beta release/preview.

Another question. Is it possible to make the download manager into a tab in the browser instead?

kftrainer
Mar 22, 2011, 01:42 PM
Will apple send updates/seeds on Lion through Software Update or will I have to go to the Apple site to download them. ?