PDA

View Full Version : Non Apple Smart Covers??

Frankydan100
Mar 6, 2011, 02:46 PM
Just food for thought but do you think that apple will allow other ipad accessory makers to utilise the design of their smart covers and produce their own.

It would be great to see them utilising different materials and colours. Also the possibility of cool designs on the covers?

If so what type of material/colour/design would you like?

Doubt apple woud ever allow this but we can dream right?

canyonblue737
Mar 6, 2011, 03:26 PM
Just food for thought but do you think that apple will allow other ipad accessory makers to utilise the design of their smart covers and produce their own.

It would be great to see them utilising different materials and colours. Also the possibility of cool designs on the covers?

If so what type of material/colour/design would you like?

Doubt apple woud ever allow this but we can dream right?

I don't see how Apple could stop companies from putting similar magnets in their products. Rather than a self clipping / aligning case I certainly could imagine someone making an Apple iPad 1 type case where the cover magnetically closes to the iPad 2.

i0Nic
Mar 6, 2011, 04:33 PM
Yes Apple do allow and actively encourage 3rd party case makers to make accessories that utilise the built in magnets. Steve Jobs mentioned it in the keynote.

I imagine a popular 3rd party case will be a hard-plastic back protecting the back of the device with a similiar smart cover for the front, but I think we'll see some creativity using the magnets in different form factor cases.

v66jack
Mar 6, 2011, 04:39 PM
I imagine a popular 3rd party case will be a hard-plastic back protecting the back of the device with a similiar smart cover for the front, but I think we'll see some creativity using the magnets in different form factor cases.

This already exists, they bought it out way before Apple came out with the Smart Cover. It's from incase http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/convertible-magazine-jacket-cl57779

iDabble
Mar 6, 2011, 07:22 PM
Wood Smart Cover by Miniot

https://www.miniot.com/webshop/