Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brewno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Montreal, Canada
By accident I found out this little thing that came as a pleasant surprise for me: if you hold a vowel for a few seconds, like on the iPhone, you'll see a list of correspondent vowel with accents, as in picture.

screenshot20110306at355.png

If that's an old feature, forgive me, I just found out today ;)

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Cool. What if I need to write:

loooooooooooooooooooooooooool

?

Do I need to press 'o' that many number of times? Might be disturbing if I need to type vowels a lot many times. :(
ditto

I use exactly that over accented letters a lot more often. So not too thrilled about this change. Plus, I've always known how to accent letters by heart.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
One of those cool-looking things that I hope will be possible to disable. I'm not sure I'll need to write "loooooooooooooooooooooooooool" very often though, but having some keys repeat and others not is annoying, as well as not having repeat at all would be.

But then again, I have a swedish keyboard so I can write all those characters in less time than it takes for the menu to show up by holding down "a"... :D

brewno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Montreal, Canada
If you need to type "looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool" on a text box, like when you reply to this forum, it won't activate, so you're good. Now, if you type at the address bar, for example, then it will activate and you can't repeat the vowel, unless you press it again and again. It depends on the place you type... weird. :confused:

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
I can't think of a single instance I've needed to repeat a single letter like that, but I use accents a lot. So yay! :)

I just really wish they'd allow more symbols combined with consonants and not just vowels.

KirkL

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
United States
If you need to type "looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool" on a text box, like when you reply to this forum, it won't activate, so you're good. Now, if you type at the address bar, for example, then it will activate and you can't repeat the vowel, unless you press it again and again. It depends on the place you type... weird. :confused:

Is there a way to manually bring it up? What if I want to use the accent in a Textbox?

brewno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Nope, at least I don't know how. I tried with a combination of keys, or using the mouse, but it didn't work: letters kept repeating.

Oh and btw it's not only vowels, other letters too (c, n, etc).

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
Nope, at least I don't know how. I tried with a combination of keys, or using the mouse, but it didn't work: letters kept repeating.

Oh and btw it's not only vowels, other letters too (c, n, etc).

Any chance it finally allows any accent over any letter?

For example, could I put a bar like on this ā over an x?

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008

x bar = mean

What he (or she) said.

[Letter] bar is ubiquitous as the mean. [Letter] hat is pretty ubiquitous as an estimate. [Letter] tilde to represent a standardized, translated, etc., variable. And so on...

Sure, we can resort to LaTeX and other things, but it would be very nice if Apple built it into the OS.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
Fine.

Lemme elaborate myself: they're not there for the same reason 2(square), 3(square), n(square), n(cube) are not there. It's just too many of the scientific notations to implement them all.

There's a shortcut for superscripts, though.

Foreign languages? No problem.

Science? Use our Character Viewer.

They're not there either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.