PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3GS 4.2.1 Help...

YoungVoltron
Mar 6, 2011, 04:19 PM
I've been humbled enough to come to this forum and ask for your help... I recently bought an iPhone 3gs from a family member. It was in recovery mode, I restored it, everything was fine. Once I jailbroke and unlocked it, **** got crazy... The first 6 hours of it being jailbroken/unlocked was awesome... Now it randomly freezes then goes into DFU mode. I can't talk on the phone longer than 10 minutes without it freezing and going into DFU mode... I've restored the phone 3 times, and this has happened all three times... And also, once it goes into to DFU mode my phone wont reboot unless it's sat in the freezer for a few minutes... Plz help before hulk-smash this phone...

kre62
Mar 6, 2011, 04:41 PM
I've been humbled enough to come to this forum and ask for your help... I recently bought an iPhone 3gs from a family member. It was in recovery mode, I restored it, everything was fine. Once I jailbroke and unlocked it, **** got crazy... The first 6 hours of it being jailbroken/unlocked was awesome... Now it randomly freezes then goes into DFU mode. I can't talk on the phone longer than 10 minutes without it freezing and going into DFU mode... I've restored the phone 3 times, and this has happened all three times... And also, once it goes into to DFU mode my phone wont reboot unless it's sat in the freezer for a few minutes... Plz help before hulk-smash this phone...

Sounds like it might be overheating, which is a hardware issue. I'd try restoring a fresh install of the OS, then using it without loading anything else. If it isn't still doing these things, could be something you downloaded or the unlock. Please tell me you didnt use the iPad baseband.

YoungVoltron
Mar 6, 2011, 04:46 PM
Sounds like it might be overheating, which is a hardware issue. I'd try restoring a fresh install of the OS, then using it without loading anything else. If it isn't still doing these things, could be something you downloaded or the unlock. Please tell me you didnt use the iPad baseband.

*hangs his head in shame*

Yeah I did...

kre62
Mar 6, 2011, 04:47 PM
*hangs his head in shame*

Yeah I did...

Then youll have to restore with a custom firmware. Might be the end of the road for that phone.

awadeee
Mar 6, 2011, 09:51 PM
I've restored an iPad BB iPhone with stock firmware before, multiple times. It just fails once or twice before it works. Did it on an old 3G that I unlocked to sell.

In the event of a hardware issue: My iPhone 3GS has suffered from various hardware issues (I use it naked and drop it a fair bit) and I find that if something stops working (silent toggle switch, headphone jack, etc), I just take the phone completely apart and put it back together (easier than it looks/sounds). I fire it back up again and it works for the time being.

Applejuiced
Mar 6, 2011, 09:54 PM
I've restored an iPad BB iPhone with stock firmware before, multiple times. It just fails once or twice before it works. Did it on an old 3G that I unlocked to sell.

It fails each time if you try to restore to factory firmware with the ipad BB. Not once or twice.
With anything below 4.2.1 you can use Tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery. With 4.2.1 and higher you need a custom firmware created with pwnage. Then you have to put it in pwned DFU mode and restore to the JB ipsw.

awadeee
Mar 6, 2011, 10:16 PM
It fails each time if you try to restore to factory firmware with the ipad BB. Not once or twice.
With anything below 4.2.1 you can use Tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery. With 4.2.1 and higher you need a custom firmware created with pwnage. Then you have to put it in pwned DFU mode and restore to the JB ipsw.

Crap, I'm on vacay and tired as hell. Failed to notice the thread was 4.2.1 exclusive. I did the restore with stock 4.1, not 4.2.1.

Rizvi1
Mar 19, 2011, 09:51 PM
My wife has an iPhone 3gs which is jailbroken and unlocked so that she can use it with t-mobile. recently it's been freezing up and we have to hold down the power switch and home button or whatever to turn it off. once we do and it turns back on it's ok for a little while.

I do have applecare and could take it to have them check it out but the issue would be unlocking the replacement they would give me. So I'm thinking I'll do this when the latest firmware for the 3gs (or iPhone 4 if they decide to replace with an upgrade - does that happen?) is unlockable.

In case it's relevant, here's some stats on the phone:

Version 4.0 (8A293)
Modem Firmware 05.13.04
(The phone was upgraded to latest OS when I bought it used in the summer - when the latest OS was fully jailbreakable/unlockable)

Model: MC136LL
Carrier 7.0

Applejuiced
Mar 19, 2011, 11:01 PM
My wife has an iPhone 3gs which is jailbroken and unlocked so that she can use it with t-mobile. recently it's been freezing up and we have to hold down the power switch and home button or whatever to turn it off. once we do and it turns back on it's ok for a little while.

I do have applecare and could take it to have them check it out but the issue would be unlocking the replacement they would give me. So I'm thinking I'll do this when the latest firmware for the 3gs (or iPhone 4 if they decide to replace with an upgrade - does that happen?) is unlockable.

In case it's relevant, here's some stats on the phone:

Version 4.0 (8A293)
Modem Firmware 05.13.04
(The phone was upgraded to latest OS when I bought it used in the summer - when the latest OS was fully jailbreakable/unlockable)

Model: MC136LL
Carrier 7.0

If you bring it to Apple jailbroken and unlocked they will not touch it.
If you restore it to the latest 4.3 you will lose the unlock and JB.
If you get a replacement most likelly it will come with 4.2.1 or 4.1 and those BB versions cannot be unlocked.
You could install then the ipad BB to unlock it but you will lose your GPS use.

acpowman
Mar 20, 2011, 10:55 AM
I've got a jailbroken and unlocked 3GS on ipad firmware, can i update to an untethered JB ?

Rizvi1
Mar 20, 2011, 05:17 PM
If you bring it to Apple jailbroken and unlocked they will not touch it.
If you restore it to the latest 4.3 you will lose the unlock and JB.
If you get a replacement most likelly it will come with 4.2.1 or 4.1 and those BB versions cannot be unlocked.
You could install then the ipad BB to unlock it but you will lose your GPS use.

Right, I wouldn't take it to the store in a jailbroken/unlocked state. I would do the restore first. And since the latest OS hasn't been jailbroken yet (I believe) or unlocked yet (I also believe) then this means I have to wait until that happens.

I'm not sure what the ipad bb unlocking is all about but I don't want to take a chance on something so different (although I guess I could live w/out gps since I only use it so often)