Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gatesisthedevil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2004
Germay
Hello all, I just got a new g5 dual 2.5 machine in the mail after weeks of waiting and the firmware it came with is 5.1.8f5 (I can't seem to find info on this version BTW) anyway I am trying to update to the new version 5.1.8f7 and when I hold the power button down I get the long chime and see the flashing power light but then it goes right into open firmware without installing anything. What could be wrong? Do I have a dead machine or a lemon? this is the only thing that is not working with it everthing else is way fast.

Thanks for any help.

Gates.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
gatesisthedevil said:
Hello all, I just got a new g5 dual 2.5 machine in the mail after weeks of waiting and the firmware it came with is 5.1.8f5 (I can't seem to find info on this version BTW) anyway I am trying to update to the new version 5.1.8f7 and when I hold the power button down I get the long chime and see the flashing power light but then it goes right into open firmware without installing anything. What could be wrong? Do I have a dead machine or a lemon? this is the only thing that is not working with it everthing else is way fast.

Thanks for any help.

Gates.
Ok, you did follow the directions that came with the firmware upgrade, right? When it gets to open firmware, does a little bar show up down at the bottom, grey I believe. And as it goes though the install, it turns purple to show where its at. How long have you let it sit at this screen?

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Reset the PRAM, and try again, and let it sit over night. If it doesn't upgrade by then, take it to your local apple store or call up Apple on the phone and see if they have a fix.

grahamwallis

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2004
Whitley Bay, UK
This happened to me when I was upgrading the firmware on our g5s at work, it only happened on one machine though and I realised I was holding the power button in too long. Once it has done the long bong and flash thing let go then see if it works, it worked for me. you shouldn't get to open firmware if it works :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.