PDA

View Full Version : OS X Server on a Mini?

trance2
Feb 17, 2005, 03:03 PM
Has anyone successfully installed OS X Server on a Mac mini? I would like to use a mini get familiar with OS X Server and its services and figured the Mac mini would be a great machine (cheap) for that task.

The other question is there any USB -> Ethernet adapters that are compatable for OS X (ie... the OS has built-in drivers).

varmit
Feb 17, 2005, 03:29 PM
Has anyone successfully installed OS X Server on a Mac mini? I would like to use a mini get familiar with OS X Server and its services and figured the Mac mini would be a great machine (cheap) for that task.

The other question is there any USB -> Ethernet adapters that are compatable for OS X (ie... the OS has built-in drivers).

I'm not sure its supported, otherwise I think they would allow you to order OS X Server already on it, which they don't. I would suggest getting the low end PowerMac. You never know, you might actually want to use the setup you make for something, and you wont have to reload and start from scatch.

As for the USB nic, I believe there are some that are supported.

cyanide
Feb 17, 2005, 03:41 PM
Here is the link to a place that does mini colocation hosting. basically you send them yours, or buy one from them, and voila! your own mac mini server. http://macmini.purestatic.com/

musicpyrite
Feb 17, 2005, 03:49 PM
Yes, it can be done.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050131122653705

Blackheart
Feb 17, 2005, 03:59 PM
Seems like a waste... purchase OS X Server for $500... and choke it with a $500 Mac Mini.

Unless OS X Server isn't purchased... :rolleyes:

tobio
Feb 17, 2005, 04:34 PM
You can "officially" install the OSX server components on any mac with OSX already on it, you have to do something or other with disc 2, I can't find the link to the manual at the moment, but I am frantically looking.

tobio
Feb 17, 2005, 04:45 PM
and he's back with the goods! this is from the "Read this before you install.pdf" file on the OSX server CD

Advice about installing Mac OS X Server

Installing on a computer with Mac OS X version 10.3 or later preinstalled

When installing Mac OS X Server on a computer with Mac OS X version 10.3 or later preinstalled, do not start up from the Mac OS X Server installation disc. Instead start up the computer from the hard disk, as you would for normal use. Next, insert Mac OS X Server Install Disc 2 into the disc drive, and then open the file named “MacOSXServerInstall.mpkg” to begin installation. Follow the instructions displayed to complete the installation and configuration using Server Assistant.

BornAgainMac
Feb 17, 2005, 05:53 PM
Installing on a computer with Mac OS X version 10.3 or later preinstalled

A fresh install would be preferred. I am interesting in purchasing Tiger 10.4 Server mostly for academic purposes. It won't matter to me if I install it on a old G3 iMac or a Mac Mini. If I can find a way to make some money with it then I'll get the Xserve package.