PDA

View Full Version : I broke my trackpad on my PB17

mainstreetmark
Feb 17, 2005, 03:05 PM
Ok, so it's just one of those things... Through a Stooges-esque comedy of errors, I spilled some wine on the powerbook. So, yeah, the trackpad doesn't work anymore.

So, anyone know where I can get a repalacement trackpad for a PB17/1.33GHz? I even checked eBay and came up dry.

idkew
Feb 17, 2005, 03:19 PM
there is a powerbook parts company out there. they will sell you basically any part of a powerbook, new or old.

can't think of the name off the top of my head though, but some skillful google'n will find them.

btw- they are very expensive. but, prolly less than paying apple to fix it.

Peterkro
Feb 17, 2005, 03:24 PM
I just had a quick shifty and this is one there are others.
http://www.pbparts.com/shop/_al+_cs

mainstreetmark
Feb 17, 2005, 03:33 PM
Aw man! $300 bucks?!

varmit
Feb 17, 2005, 03:35 PM
If you feel like taking a little risk, just open your PB up, and wash it. You heard me, wash it. Water only hurts electronics when you turn it on while its still wet. So you can open it up, clean some of the parts that look like wine has possibly affected something. Then let it dry, and I don't mean dry with towel and put back together and start it up, you need to give it time for all the water to evaporate. Maybe help it along with a hair dryer or something, but you need to give it some time to dry out completely. Then reassemble, and see if it still works.

Peterkro
Feb 17, 2005, 03:46 PM
Yeah I second Varmits idea you've got nothing to lose really. Put it in a warmish place for up to a week to make sure its dry then try.

cyanide
Feb 17, 2005, 03:46 PM
i agree with the above post, however it is possible something was shorted. in that case, keep your eye on ebay, those kind of things come across there on a weekly basis. if all else fails and you are going to throw away your PB, send it this way :-p

GeeYouEye
Feb 17, 2005, 04:54 PM
If you wash it, use distilled water if you can get it. Otherwise, all the crud in tapwater could cause a short.

Converted2Truth
Feb 17, 2005, 05:39 PM
If you wash it, use distilled water if you can get it. Otherwise, all the crud in tapwater could cause a short.
once the distilled water gets die-looted with wine, then that water could short his laptop too.

mainstreetmark
Feb 18, 2005, 10:34 AM
Ok, well, there doesn't appear to be a (easy) way to separate the trackpad from the top, does there?

Seems to be a good enough guide: http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/55.0.0.html

What an inconvenient, and somewhat embarassing, problem.

mainstreetmark
Feb 19, 2005, 07:47 PM
Hey! It works again!

I guess it just needed time to recover from some electronic hangover.

Thanks for the help, tho.