PDA

View Full Version : Downside to Smart Cover..?

SSpiro
Mar 7, 2011, 07:57 AM
Perhapd discussed already, but.. the smart cover doesn't cover the rear of the ipad right?

So are you guys jumping on this cover or waiting for something that covers front AND back?

ipodtoucher
Mar 7, 2011, 07:58 AM
Perhapd discussed already, but.. the smart cover doesn't cover the rear of the ipad right?

So are you guys jumping on this cover or waiting for something that covers front AND back?

Zagg Shield will take care of that ;)

Gix1k
Mar 7, 2011, 07:59 AM
I'm ok with that.

patchel
Mar 7, 2011, 08:01 AM
Aside from the fact that it does not protect the back, i am afraid that the magnets would eventually scratch the sides (the left in particular) where you align the magnets. I hope Apple thought of that and found a way to prevent it.

Either way, i am still buying one then putting it in a sleeve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iMattcotv
Mar 7, 2011, 08:01 AM
Smart Cover

Just when I was about to eat..

Thanks alot :mad:

macsolo
Mar 7, 2011, 08:05 AM
I ordered a skin this morning in anticipation of getting the iPad2 in a few weeks.
I've used this companies stuff quite alot and although it's a bit of a pain to put on, they last for ages & work really well.

http://www.bestskinsever.com/

wfj5444
Mar 7, 2011, 08:14 AM
My concern is the other side, the side without magnets. So as soon as you pick it up and hold it any way but flat the darn thing looks like it would flop open.

Am I wrong? You either have to hold it or lay the iPad down. I don't see any other way.

Chupa Chupa
Mar 7, 2011, 08:15 AM
You have to be the baaa baaa baaaiest of sheep to buy the Smart Cover, but Apple will sell tons. $39 and what does it really do? It doesn't protect the iPad at all against even the faintest of drops, it doesn't even protect against scratches and knicks. People are amazed because it's got magnets as-if magnets are some new fangled technology that haven't be around since history began. I don't get it, but it is genius of Apple to get people to fork over $40. If the emperor had a new case this would be it.

I'll keep using my current iPad case (sure it will be loose) until iPad 2 cases worth $40-50 show up. I've seen a lot of nice designs from Macally, Incipio, Speck, etc., etc. that actually protect the case -- and if I'm going to spend $ to cover up the iPad it's solely to protect it, not to decorate it w/ a colored piece of plastic.

JRoDDz
Mar 7, 2011, 08:30 AM
The smart cover will keep the glass from being scratched while it's in your backpack or messenger bag etc.

Chupa Chupa
Mar 7, 2011, 08:51 AM
The smart cover will keep the glass from being scratched while it's in your backpack or messenger bag etc.

Yes, but it won't protect the back/sides from getting scratched or prevent foreign objects, dust, debris from getting inside the ports while its in your backpack or messenger bag. So if protection is the reason you buy a smart cover it's a bad choice. It's not all that smart.

BadMoon
Mar 7, 2011, 08:52 AM
You have to be the baaa baaa baaaiest of sheep to buy the Smart Cover, but Apple will sell tons. $39 and what does it really do? It doesn't protect the iPad at all against even the faintest of drops, it doesn't even protect against scratches and knicks. People are amazed because it's got magnets as-if magnets are some new fangled technology that haven't be around since history began. I don't get it, but it is genius of Apple to get people to fork over $40. If the emperor had a new case this would be it.

I'll keep using my current iPad case (sure it will be loose) until iPad 2 cases worth $40-50 show up. I've seen a lot of nice designs from Macally, Incipio, Speck, etc., etc. that actually protect the case -- and if I'm going to spend $ to cover up the iPad it's solely to protect it, not to decorate it w/ a colored piece of plastic.

I would have to agree with this. +1

ulbador
Mar 7, 2011, 08:57 AM
I can't imagine not having a full case, just for the added heft.

Apple keeps pushing these thinner and thinner devices. Unfortunately, at least for me, I find it almost impossible to comfortably hold onto such a thin device for too long. The 1st gen iPad is almost too thin for me until you put a nice case on it.

PBF
Mar 7, 2011, 08:58 AM
My concern is the other side, the side without magnets. So as soon as you pick it up and hold it any way but flat the darn thing looks like it would flop open.

Am I wrong? You either have to hold it or lay the iPad down. I don't see any other way.
Why Apple didn't bother demonstrating exactly this on their website is beyond me. Ridiculous. :mad:

Toiletpapers
Mar 7, 2011, 08:59 AM
I just really cant imagine having the back of my brand new iPad 2 naked. I can barely put my iPad 1 naked back down on a hard surface without cringing at the sound. I was considering the whole smart cover and the invisible shield, but for one it's a lot of money to pay for a $70 cover (leather colors are the only good ones), and like 30 for an invisible shield back, and two, am I the only one that really doesn't care for a cover for the front screen?

From all my generation iphones to my first generation iPad, my front screen has been naked. It really doesn't scratch like the back does, and not to mention its so damn annoying to flip the front cover off to use your iPad. What i did for my iPad was put a transparent case on the back, and walahh, beautiful design is still shown and I actually have protection if i drop it and what not. The only thing that is missing from this setup is a stand so I can prop my iPad up to type (never use the other prop-up), and this is why im considering getting the smart cover. WTB a transparent case with a little kickstand built into the back :)

wfj5444
Mar 7, 2011, 08:59 AM
REALLY not seeing the point of the Smart Cover.

I like to see some reviews before I buy a case. For my iPad 1, I used the Scoche folio which was perfect. (Found out later Handhelditems sell the same thing for $20) Very minimal but protects it well.

Scoche already has the same for iPad 2, so I think I will hold out until I see the HHI version for $20 :)

I just hate putting a cover on such a thin device. Bulks it up so much, but I do like reading in bed laying on my side, so I am sorta stuck.

Saberj
Mar 7, 2011, 09:02 AM
I'll be waiting for a case that protects the whole device.

Mad Mac Maniac
Mar 7, 2011, 09:04 AM

both sides have magnets...

THFourteen
Mar 7, 2011, 09:07 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

it's perfect for me, I prefer to use my iPad naked, but like the angled stand funcionality for typing.

I'll probably get a sleeve case that fits both when I'm travelling.

Doc750
Mar 7, 2011, 09:09 AM
I'll wait for the $9.99 knock offs to show up on ebay.

macsolo
Mar 7, 2011, 09:11 AM

I think it depends what you want out of your case / cover. Apple have a made a beautiful product and then to put it in a case, however nice, takes away what makes the new iPad atheistically pleasing.

I'm going to make a conscious choice to buy a smart cover and a skin from bestskinsever.com to protect the back from scratches. I won't take it out of my apartment very often, don't have kids to mess with it and I don't want to compromise the design. However if people are going outside with it alot, putting it in a rucksack. A more protective case makes sense.

meder87
Mar 7, 2011, 09:12 AM
Definitely not getting a smart cover. Doesn't protect and its gimmicky. I'm gonna try and find a folio cover that I can stand it at various angles. But i'm gonna play the wait and see game for covers and then make my decision.

benhollberg
Mar 7, 2011, 09:12 AM
I plan on buying a Smart Cover and then using Zagg to cover the back of the iPad. I just hate how expensive those leather Smart Covers are.

matrix07
Mar 7, 2011, 09:13 AM
I not to mention its so damn annoying to flip the front cover off to use your iPad.

In fact, it would be easier and faster to flip the cover open than press home button and slide to unlock. It's perfect for those who like to use their iPads naked.

nwcs
Mar 7, 2011, 09:15 AM
There's a downside to every case design. It's about finding a downside you can live with. Since I take good care of my equipment I'm not concerned about the back side of the iPad. The only time it would come up is when traveling, which I don't do often. The smart cover looks interesting. Not sure I would want it but it's just an option. Not like it'll be the only one.

gjw4u
Mar 7, 2011, 09:16 AM
A nice selection of covers for the new iPad 2:
http://www.ipad2casecovers.com

gatorron
Mar 7, 2011, 09:19 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

it's perfect for me, I prefer to use my iPad naked, but like the angled stand funcionality for typing.

I'll probably get a sleeve case that fits both when I'm travelling.

"I prefer to use my iPad naked...

TMI :)

hitekalex
Mar 7, 2011, 09:31 AM
Yes, but it won't protect the back/sides from getting scratched or prevent foreign objects, dust, debris from getting inside the ports while its in your backpack or messenger bag. So if protection is the reason you buy a smart cover it's a bad choice. It's not all that smart.

I would agree with that.. Smart Cover is largely useless, as it doesn't protect the aluminum back - the part that NEEDS the most protection. The iPad screen is made of scratch resistant glass - it does not scratch during the normal use.

I am getting a BSE clear skin for the back of my iPad, and WaterField Designs slip case (http://sfbags.com/products/ipad-cases/slipcase-ipad.php) for travel situations when I put iPad in a suitcase / large backpack. Problem solved.

Dorkington
Mar 7, 2011, 10:29 AM

Glass is much less likely to scratch compared to aluminum.

benhollberg
Mar 7, 2011, 10:35 AM
I wonder if the iPad 2 would fit very well into the first generation Apple iPad case, I like that case a lot.

troop231
Mar 7, 2011, 11:25 AM
I wonder if the iPad 2 would fit very well into the first generation Apple iPad case, I like that case a lot.

Your speakers would be covered most likely however, and rear camera and front camera?

benhollberg
Mar 7, 2011, 11:39 AM
Your speakers would be covered most likely however, and rear camera and front camera?

Your right, I feel stupid.

troop231
Mar 7, 2011, 11:41 AM
Your right, I feel stupid.

Don't be lol. Sadly, I don't think we will have a big selection of cases/covers for the iPad 2 at launch, meaning I will have to take extra care of it till more are available :(

benhollberg
Mar 7, 2011, 11:45 AM
Don't be lol. Sadly, I don't think we will have a big selection of cases/covers for the iPad 2 at launch, meaning I will have to take extra care of it till more are available :(

I agree with what your saying. Since the new iPad is smaller and all case makers haven't had enough time to design and make the new cases. I plan on buying a Smart Cover and getting the Zagg as well. I want the black Smart Cover but it is so expensive.

troop231
Mar 7, 2011, 11:54 AM
I agree with what your saying. Since the new iPad is smaller and all case makers haven't had enough time to design and make the new cases. I plan on buying a Smart Cover and getting the Zagg as well. I want the black Smart Cover but it is so expensive.

Yeah, I plan on buying the black or red leather one, hoping to return it to Apple just in time when manufacturers have a decent selection.

benhollberg
Mar 7, 2011, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I plan on buying the black or red leather one, hoping to return it to Apple just in time when manufacturers have a decent selection.

Do you mean return it for full price? Do you think they'd go for that if it was in really good condition?

troop231
Mar 7, 2011, 12:05 PM
Do you mean return it for full price? Do you think they'd go for that if it was in really good condition?

I suppose lol, I don't have an Apple store nearby, so only the Apple online store or Wal-Mart (if they even carry them)

benhollberg
Mar 7, 2011, 12:09 PM
I suppose lol, I don't have an Apple store nearby, so only the Apple online store or Wal-Mart (if they even carry them)

If Wal-Mart carries them I'd probably be easiest to return there or even the online store than an Apple Retail store. I still need to return my iPhone 4 bumper that I have never used, hopefully they'll do it and I'll use that credit for an iPad 2.

troop231
Mar 7, 2011, 12:14 PM
If Wal-Mart carries them I'd probably be easiest to return there or even the online store than an Apple Retail store. I still need to return my iPhone 4 bumper that I have never used, hopefully they'll do it and I'll use that credit for an iPad 2.

If my Walmart has any 16GB WiFi models in stock on launch day, I will just walk over on my work break (next door) and pick one up, if theres any accessories I'll take some pics for everyone.

wfj5444
Mar 7, 2011, 12:45 PM
both sides have magnets...

Yup confirmed from multiple sources. Also listening to Gruber talk about it sounds like it stays folded to the back thanks the the cover closure magnet.

I am much more interested in it now along with the BSE film. I too wish they had it in black. Apple isn't dumb, the best colors are the leather IMO.

Or at least the most business/neutral friendly.

ecschwarz
Mar 7, 2011, 02:34 PM
I'll keep using my current iPad case (sure it will be loose) until iPad 2 cases worth $40-50 show up...

so out of nosiness, what is your current case?

applefanDrew
Mar 7, 2011, 02:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Never scratched my naked iPad 1. Don't get the "back gets scratches" thing. Never had that problem.

DougFNJ
Mar 7, 2011, 02:57 PM
If the magnets on the side have the cover clip really well to the side, I could see myself getting a Snap case for the back, and the Smartcover for the front.

I believe (I may be wrong) that there are magnets along the top and bottom of the screen which secure the smartcover to the face.

A snap case + Smart cover + a pouch to store it in = a nice safe iPad :D

SSpiro
Mar 7, 2011, 03:31 PM
So when are the new cases due out? Anyone know? (cases other other than smart cover..)

benhollberg
Mar 7, 2011, 03:33 PM
So when are the new cases due out? Anyone know? (cases other other than smart cover..)

Whenever the manufacturers get them on the market. Check their websites and I am sure they'll have dates for when available.

Benjamins
Mar 7, 2011, 04:05 PM
it won't protect the back, but I am pretty sure there will be snap on cases that complements the Smart Cover soon.

gatech2
Mar 7, 2011, 05:00 PM
I'll be waiting for a case that protects the whole device.

Same here.
I emailed several companies they are in the process for iPad 2 cases soon. I like
the looks of these and stands.

http://www.belkin.com/

gigaguy
Mar 7, 2011, 08:05 PM
The smart cases is another example of Apples marketing brilliance.
'We didn't raise the price of the new iPad2 at all. but we do have these smart little covers that we specially designed, and no one else has, that you can get with your shiny new iPad.'
If you want the leather, and those wanting most to impress, do, then Apple quickly adds another 16% to the total sale amount of $499. Brilliant.
but only if Apple can keep enough in stock.
Apple lost lots of $ales when the first iPad case sold out early and for months was hard to get.

nightfly13
Mar 10, 2011, 09:38 AM
This thread has me thinking. I don't think hairline scratches on the back are a big deal, but a BSE skin seems wise. My iPad (1) has been in a thick rubber case, and had a screen protector on it for 5 out of 9 months. The screen has 2-3 moderately noticeable scratches - way worse than anything on the back - because the back has by-and-large been covered, but the screen was more exposed.

I think I'll do a BSE plus a smart cover - or a smart cover copy for cheaper if I find something by the time I'm ready to buy (early June). I want to keep it light and thin, and I'll keep my iPad 1 for my kids in the rubber case, let them keep trashing it.

vincenz
Mar 11, 2011, 10:15 PM
Zagg Shield will take care of that ;)

Zagg is awful. I can't believe people still waste money on that stuff.

benhollberg
Mar 11, 2011, 10:17 PM
Zagg is awful. I can't believe people still waste money on that stuff.

What's wrong with Zagg?

Blorzoga
Mar 11, 2011, 11:32 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. The smart cover looks like rubbish. No back protection. It's just a gimmick. Why couldn't they have offered the same thing, but that covered the back. I'm waiting for a Belkin Grip-Vue. I'm reusing my PS AntiGlare, hoping it will fit. I'll just take a hole punch to the top for the camera.

admanimal
Mar 12, 2011, 12:19 AM
I'm quite pleased with the Smart Cover. Obviously not meant for total protection, but a nice way to keep the screen relatively safe when not in use, plus it works pretty well in stand mode. The magnetic lock/unlock sounds lame but adds a little something to the experience. I usually keep my iPad 1 naked, so this is just the amount of protection/utility I would want.

Good.Shepherd
Mar 12, 2011, 06:24 PM
Wow, folks. You're making this way too hard. Even worse trying to make it seem like only "sheep" will buy the smart cover.

I have one, and I've liked the hell out of it so far.

Cases do one or more of several things:

1. Protect the screen
2. Protect the back
3. Protect from shock
4. Protect from water, dirt, and elements.

Depending on what you're looking for, the case may or may not be useful. If you're looking for screen protection, the smart cover is great. But it will do nothing for shock.

I owned the apple case for my ipad 1. It was great, but I still got a few scratches on the screen. They were small, but I babied that thing and still got a few. So this time around, I love having the screen cover with the on/off feature.

When I throw it into a briefcase, I'll use a sleeve. Between the sleeve and the smart cover, it's ideal.

By the way, for those complaining that it does nothing for shock, you're right. But neither did your apple case. My wife had a 64gb wifi fall off of the dresser onto a carpet floor and still had the screen crack. If you want shock protection, the only tradeoff you can make is thickness.

asleep
Mar 12, 2011, 06:42 PM
I passed on the Smart Cover ... wasn't convinced how practical it would be for me without a hands on...

Well, this guy did it for me.

Something to think about before you buy one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X37RgKuN_U

cmvsm
Mar 12, 2011, 06:47 PM
Yeah that formica table top is a real scratch magnet on aluminum. :p

3N16MA
Mar 12, 2011, 06:49 PM
For people who travel or use their iPad 2 on the go often the Smart Cover most likely does not offer enough protection. However I can see it working for people who use their iPad 2 mostly within the home.

jedolley
Mar 12, 2011, 06:52 PM
Yeah that formica table top is a real scratch magnet on aluminum. :p

If you take that away, he actually has some valid points. The delivery was a bit whiny, but it was nice to see something more honest and not another "magical" smartcover review.

Tom G.
Mar 12, 2011, 06:55 PM
This guy reminds me of those actors in the cheap gadget commercials on TV who can't do the simplest thing, like screw in a light bulb, until they get the gadget that is being advertised. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak, and they go into the ad for the gadget that would solve all these problems.

I'm glad that I watched this video, but will most likely get the cover anyway as I saw nothing in it that convinces me that there is a real problem.

Maclver
Mar 12, 2011, 06:57 PM
This guy reminds me of those actors in the cheap gadget commercials on TV who can't do the simplest thing, like screw in a light bulb, until they get the gadget that is being advertised. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak, and they go into the ad for the gadget that would solve all these problems.

I'm glad that I watched this video, but will most likely get the cover anyway as I saw nothing in it that convinces me that there is a real problem.

LMAO Post of the day! I agree he is taking a simple easy to use product and making it difficult. One word of the video editing.. he should of made the picture black and white when showing how the product is screwed up

funkeruski
Mar 12, 2011, 07:02 PM
Bloody Christ, that thing sucks.

Pballer110
I wasnt too convinced on the smart cover and now after seeing some of those problems i know i wont be grabbing one.

Michael CM1
I got 1:11 into the video before I had to stop. I've been using mine for a day. You either adjust to one of the positions where the cover sits on the back or you, get this, TAKE IT OFF. You yank it from the magnets and you store it in a bag or whatever. That's the whole point of using magnets instead of bolting a hinge into the iPad.

#idiotbritonyoutubefail

iLoveMyApple
Mar 12, 2011, 07:05 PM
"You're holding it wrong." :cool:
Personally, I really like my Smart Cover.

Maclver
Mar 12, 2011, 07:06 PM
I got 1:11 into the video before I had to stop. I've been using mine for a day. You either adjust to one of the positions where the cover sits on the back or you, get this, TAKE IT OFF. You yank it from the magnets and you store it in a bag or whatever. That's the whole point of using magnets instead of bolting a hinge into the iPad.

#idiotbritonyoutubefail

He probably forgot that part he was to rushed to make a uTube video

TheFarmer
Mar 12, 2011, 07:08 PM
You either adjust to one of the positions where the cover sits on the back or you, get this, TAKE IT OFF.

#idiotbritonyoutubefail

EXACTLY. I was thinking the same thing the whole time that guy was whining about it. Some people just aren't too smart.

shstiger2009
Mar 12, 2011, 07:08 PM
HAHA! This guy is an idiot.

1. Holding it with your hand...he doesn't even have a valid point. If you hold it with your left hand, fold it under and don't have the flap. If you hold it with your right hand, use it normally flipped back and it's good.

2. Standing it up when your leg is ALREADY at an angle...there's no need! flip it all the way flat on the back and the angle is already created by your leg.

3. It's a COVER not a case. Buy a case if you want to cover the back, or what I will have is the invisible shield on the back to cover it from scratches.

My opinion personally on it, it it's amazing. When working it's so easy to use and I actually love it, today while I was using it I said a few times "I couldn't imagine not having this thing."

Michael CM1
Mar 12, 2011, 07:09 PM

Me too. I can protect either the front or back laying it down, gives the face protection at all times without being some bulky cover like the Apple-branded iPad 1 case, and it's EASY TO REMOVE. Plus I like that it is nice and shiny green so it won't hide as much as my black iPhone 4 with a black bumper-style case.

iAAPL
Mar 12, 2011, 07:23 PM
Seriously? If you're debating whether you should get a Smart Cover, just try one out for yourself. This guy is such an idiot. I love my Smart Cover.

Maclver
Mar 12, 2011, 07:25 PM
Seriously? If you're debating whether you should get a Smart Cover, just try one out for yourself. This guy is such an idiot. I love my Smart Cover.

I love the original apple case at first but about 4 months in i just used the iPad naked and will most likely to the same with this one.. the case/cover becomes almost pointless if you use your iPad only at home

Kadman
Mar 12, 2011, 07:31 PM
This guy is truly moron. He doesn't understand the concepts of gravity or friction.

vincenz
Mar 12, 2011, 07:40 PM
I wouldn't spend money on the smart cover. It's something youd use for a week then take off. It just doesn't look practical.

bembol
Mar 12, 2011, 07:43 PM
If you take that away, he actually has some valid points. The delivery was a bit whiny, but it was nice to see something more honest and not another "magical" smartcover review.

+1

The last point was a bit much.

I keep telling myself to leave her naked but I will try it out, usually after a few weeks I realize they're just a waste where I either return or sell it.

I also hate is that you have to Maintain the Cases/Covers by taking it apart or Dust/Dirt will build up and end up doing more damage. I learned this in my last iPod a few years ago.

shstiger2009
Mar 12, 2011, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't spend money on the smart cover. It's something youd use for a week then take off. It just doesn't look practical.

It's actually VERY useful. Easy to set it up and type on, and easy to stand it up and watch videos on. I also find it standing up to be very sturdy and was expecting it to be more flimsy, I really do agree with all the amazing reviews. It's nice and I don't know how I'd use it without one now that I have it.

Knowimagination
Mar 12, 2011, 07:57 PM
This guy pretty clearly just doesn't want to like it.

- The flap issue is not an issue at all once you learn which method of holding it works best for you.

- The fold actually works very well and to me seems more functional than the previous iPad case,

- As for the back protection/scratching furniture is it really that hard to figure out that you can just lay it case down?

mcfadyen
Mar 12, 2011, 07:59 PM

Agreed. I purchased a DodoCase Limited Edition and I bet it won't get used a lot because I like the Smart Cover so much.

Night Spring
Mar 12, 2011, 07:59 PM
Typing this at a cafe on my ipad2 plopped up by a smart cover. Is really useful on hard surfaces, and more compact and convenient to carry than any other stand I've seen. Does take some getting used to. I haven't yet figured out the best way to flip between the two possible positions. Plus still trying to figure out most comfortable way to deal with cover while holding iPad in hand. Take it off? Leave it on? Hold it with the magnetic strip to the left or to the right? Sorry if I repeated points made in the vid, don't want to waste bandwidth watching. Just wanted to note that my experience has not been entirely trouble free, but overall positive, and I plan on keeping the cover.

ucfgrad93
Mar 12, 2011, 08:19 PM
I liked that review. He made some valid points, but yeah, I would most likely keep the cover off unless I was going someplace with my iPad.

Mildewy
Mar 12, 2011, 08:29 PM

The ports are exposed in almost every case...other than those zip up cases which pretty much defeat the purpose.

BornAgainMac
Mar 12, 2011, 08:32 PM
If I had an iPad 2 with that cover, I was planning on just taking the cover off 100% when I use it. Still, I probably will use something that covers the entire iPad and skip the smart cover.

Good.Shepherd
Mar 12, 2011, 08:37 PM

Exactly. This guy was a total horse's arse. Really bizarre. It's like a guy making a video talking about how he hates knives because you cannot eat yogurt with them. And then you watch him fumble around trying to eat yogurt with a knife.

The cover is great for a cover. It's not a case, but it doesn't take five brain cells to see that it's not a case. If you want a case, buy one of those as well.

Mildewy
Mar 12, 2011, 08:38 PM
For people who travel or use their iPad 2 on the go often the Smart Cover most likely does not offer enough protection. However I can see it working for people who use their iPad 2 mostly within the home.

Seriously...when it's closed just lay it face down, when it's open, the back is covered. The only things I don't want scratched are the lenses and screen and a skin will work just fine.

aplqna
Mar 12, 2011, 08:39 PM
HAHA! This guy is an idiot.

1. Holding it with your hand...he doesn't even have a valid point. If you hold it with your left hand, fold it under and don't have the flap. If you hold it with your right hand, use it normally flipped back and it's good.

2. Standing it up when your leg is ALREADY at an angle...there's no need! flip it all the way flat on the back and the angle is already created by your leg.

- As for the back protection/scratching furniture is it really that hard to figure out that you can just lay it case down?

Thank you both for some common ****ing sense! That guy's a pampered idiot!

diabolic
Mar 12, 2011, 08:41 PM
It's actually VERY useful. Easy to set it up and type on, and easy to stand it up and watch videos on. I also find it standing up to be very sturdy and was expecting it to be more flimsy, I really do agree with all the amazing reviews. It's nice and I don't know how I'd use it without one now that I have it.

I completely agree. It's far better than I expected.

PBF
Mar 12, 2011, 08:43 PM
I got the red Smart Cover on launch day. I've made up my mind; I'm returning this thing. Here's why:

1. Can't let my iPad have it's back unprotected
2. The cover doesn't stay attached to the back (real deal breaker)

drenline
Mar 12, 2011, 08:45 PM
Seriously...when it's closed just lay it face down, when it's open, the back is covered. The only things I don't want scratched are the lenses and screen and a skin will work just fine.

lay it faced down then your kid, pet, or spouse comes and accidentally knocks it over and your left with a 4 inch hair-line scratch on the back aluminum. :eek:

sparkomatic
Mar 12, 2011, 08:48 PM
I just didn't get his review at all. I agree with the poster above that, to me, it seems like the guy just doesn't want to like it.

I personally wouldn't use the words "magical" or "revolutionary" to describe the case. Cool would be the word I'd use the most. I'd even say it is "smart". The ability to turn on/off the device with the case would make it "smart". That, and the multi gestures that I enabled (they're not in 4.3 yet) and I have not pressed a button on the iPad all day.

I purchased a tan leather case and did exchange it for a navy one earlier today. I do think the lighter colors will get dirty quick.

If the case bothers you...take it off! It's pretty simple.

The description of folding it back was quite an exaggeration. Find a way that works for you or take the case off. It's not like it's a really hard process to take it on and put it back on.

And, the idea of scratching the back... I did order a BestSkinsEver for the back cause...here's a shocker...I KNEW this case wasn't going to protect the back. I know, I might have to start a new thread..."Did you know the Smart Case doesn't protect the back??" and see how many people reply...haha

If you want to protect the back of the device, get a skin for the back like many people will end up doing or this isn't the case for you.

yourtoys7
Mar 12, 2011, 08:51 PM
So far I really like it, on table I set it up for typing/ browsing and when I want to watch videos. Amazing to protect the screen as well, I do plan on installing best skin ever' on back. Very slim and very good protection over all :D

h00ligan
Mar 12, 2011, 08:53 PM
Now you know why we threw him out.

I left voluntarily :)

dadoftwogirls
Mar 12, 2011, 09:27 PM
What a joke. I have it. Seems to work fine. I pop mine off when using the iPad and the snap it back on when finished. Put a Zagg shield or other on the bottom. End of "problem".

Ace R.
Mar 12, 2011, 09:35 PM
I picked one up today. No complaints. I like it way better than the first iPad case.

dagomike
Mar 12, 2011, 09:53 PM
re: the video. I completely agree with the folding it back part. I'm likely to just take it off if I plan to do more than check my email/surf for a moment and put it back. Feel like I'm fighting with it.

The rest of the video the seems he's just pissed that he bought it and that other people like it.

Good.Shepherd
Mar 12, 2011, 10:00 PM

I do the same thing I did with my naked ipad and screen protector... when it's on my desk or at my fingers and I'm using it, there's just the smart cover on it. When I travel or put it into the briefcase etc I put it into a sleeve.

There. Done. It's just one of many solutions, but it kept my ipad perfect for almost a full year and I took that thing everywhere. It sat in bars with me during sports games, went to football games, was on the tabe at every meeting, and etc.

There are many solutions. I don't know why folks are struggling with this one. For a screen cover, it's a pretty decent product.

G5isAlive
Mar 12, 2011, 10:23 PM
It amazes me all those offering a definitive negative opinion who have never seen one in person. I admit I was skeptical from the description/video... and clearly it does not protect the back, but it is pure genius to actually use. It doesn't flop open as one person guessed, its firmly held in by magnets. It folds easily to act as a stand or .. I use it like I fold over a magazine to read, as a handle of sorts in the portrait mode. It's simple. Dare I say elegant? You get the feeling it's something Steve wanted.

The iPad is not meant to take a beating. And while a case can reduce scratches etc, no case can be armor for a beating.

This case will have a place for those that like simple and don't mind being careful.

And yes, I am speaking from experience. I have the black leather one on my iPad 2.

That70sGAdawg
Mar 12, 2011, 10:27 PM
The material (even the leather) is LOW grade, was not impressed.l

iserian
Mar 12, 2011, 10:30 PM

The smart cover really doesn't have any drawbacks other than IMO it's a level one first class Stevie hyped p.o.s. Other than that it's... Well it's... Fantastic.

3N16MA
Mar 12, 2011, 10:34 PM
I do the same thing I did with my naked ipad and screen protector... when it's on my desk or at my fingers and I'm using it, there's just the smart cover on it. When I travel or put it into the briefcase etc I put it into a sleeve.

There. Done. It's just one of many solutions, but it kept my ipad perfect for almost a full year and I took that thing everywhere. It sat in bars with me during sports games, went to football games, was on the tabe at every meeting, and etc.

There are many solutions. I don't know why folks are struggling with this one. For a screen cover, it's a pretty decent product.

I agree, I wasn't trying to knock the Smart Cover. Just saying that when you're on the go the chance of dropping an iPad is most likely higher. Also putting an iPad in a backpack or briefcase may require more protection. At home the smart cover with a skin on the back would seem to offer good scratch protection and a stand while keeping the iPad almost naked.

Poeticashes
Mar 12, 2011, 11:14 PM
My temporary solution.

I have an Oberon case for the original iPad that fits nicely with my SmartCover. Keep the iPad in the case for transport, remove iPad from case with SmartCover intact when using it.

Bingo.

shstiger2009
Mar 13, 2011, 12:27 AM
Thank you both for some common ****ing sense! That guy's a pampered idiot!

It's true. The guy talking about eating yogurt with knives hit it on the spot. You can clearly tell it's not magnetic and he's just an idiot.

I completely agree. It's far better than I expected.

It really is. It's freaking sweet...and I figured out how to stand it up with the case while my legs are up...he's an idiot.

omyard
Mar 13, 2011, 01:10 AM
I've heard a lot of complaints on the flap being annoying when folding it over and having it just flap around. Why don't you just fold it into the triangle and leave it? That's what I do and the smart cover n the back hasn't been a bother at all.

jwesty5
Mar 13, 2011, 01:10 AM
I got the red Smart Cover on launch day. I've made up my mind; I'm returning this thing. Here's why:

1. Can't let my iPad have it's back unprotected

...ummm this must have been pretty obvious even before you bought the smart cover. Right?

Andrew K.
Mar 13, 2011, 01:24 AM
Why be so worried about the back? It's Aluminum!!! I think the cover is a great accessory especially since it gives you 2 stands and protects the glass. I don't use cases on any of my Apple products, they detract from the design and feel. The aluminum will be just fine.

Charlie Sheen
Mar 13, 2011, 01:26 AM
That guy was hilarious.

Rookies1000
Mar 13, 2011, 11:22 AM
Why be so worried about the back? It's Aluminum!!! I think the cover is a great accessory especially since it gives you 2 stands and protects the glass. I don't use cases on any of my Apple products, they detract from the design and feel. The aluminum will be just fine.

People care about the back because of resellability. I know this because I sold my iPad 16gb wifi for 400$ about two weeks ago. Having a perfect condition iPad without scratch makes it a hell lot easier to sell it.

Charlie Sheen
Mar 13, 2011, 11:27 AM
People care about the back because of resellability. I know this because I sold my iPad 16gb wifi for 400$ about two weeks ago. Having a perfect condition iPad without scratch makes it a hell lot easier to sell it.

of course but if you are rich enough and can afford not selling the ipad after one year. of too poor that you cant afford purchasing a new model every year.