PDA

View Full Version : Help - Airport card not detected

jjd
Feb 17, 2005, 03:29 PM
I have a 15" PwerBook that I bought in December 2003. Have had a few issues with kernel panics but no other real problems. The other day I got a "semi"-kernel panic which I was able to resolve just by rebooting. However, the airport card seemed to have vanished (not detected). Rebooted again and got it back. But, last night I got the "No airport card detected" message again and I cannot get the computer to detct the card no matter what I do. I have not dropped the machine or had it jostling around - so I do not think it can be a physical problem with the card. I suppose I will have to remove and reinstall the card to be sure, but I very much doubt that is the problem. Has anyone ever heard of this problem arising?

varmit
Feb 17, 2005, 03:42 PM
Could also be an unseated airport card. On the older PBs I guess you can actually get at the airport card, try poping it out and putting it back in. If that didn't do it, and there is a Local Apple Store, take it there to have someone give you an idea on what happened. Hopefully it doesn't mean reinstalling OS X, which it might.

jjd
Feb 18, 2005, 08:30 AM
Could also be an unseated airport card. On the older PBs I guess you can actually get at the airport card, try poping it out and putting it back in. If that didn't do it, and there is a Local Apple Store, take it there to have someone give you an idea on what happened. Hopefully it doesn't mean reinstalling OS X, which it might.

Thanks. So, I did two OSX reinstalls, and removed and reinstalled the Airport card. No luck. I suppose it coule be a bad airport card?

tpjunkie
Feb 18, 2005, 10:54 AM
could be, my cousin ordered an airport card for her ibook, and installed it myself, correctly and the machine failed to identify it. We called apple care, they shipped us out a new one and it worked perfectly.