PDA

View Full Version : AirDrop - ripe for NFC use?

giobox
Mar 7, 2011, 11:45 AM
At first glance Lion's new AirDrop doesn't seem that much more useful than bonjour (to me anyway). However it does seems ripe for use with NFC devices.

I can imagine AirDrop being incorporated into future versions of the iOS in conjunction with NFC (near field communication) support - Apple could use airdrop for 'tap to share' style features, similiar to what HP are doing with the TouchPad tablet and the new WebOS phones.

This tap to share stuff is really neat, on the WebOS implementation you can transfer web links and have them open immediately on another device just by tapping them together.

The NFC chip could 'talk' to another Mac or iOS device and then initiate the airdrop connection over wifi, for example to transfer a picture from the phone to iPhoto etc.

This could be done perhaps with an updated magic trackpad with an NFC chip, it would be really neat if you could open an email or webpage you have on your iPhone on your desktop just by tapping it on the track pad. Incorporating it into the magic trackpad also allows an easy way to add the feature to Apple's desktops.

This is all just conjecture, but it does seem a logical use for the feature!

Shorties
Mar 7, 2011, 01:47 PM
THat makes a lot of sense, I think you are on to something with that.