PDA

View Full Version : Pismo faster than 12" 1Ghz???

mymemory
Feb 17, 2005, 04:13 PM
Ok, Apple is playing games with me.

Back in November I bought a G5 2.0 to do a job in After Effects. One day I put the G5 to render the same thing against my 12" 1Ghz PB. The G5 had 512 Ram and the 12" 1256 MB of ram. The G5 finished the render in 2 hours 30 minutes and the PB in 3 hours! just 30 minutes differnece between a dual 2.0 G5 and one 1Ghz G4!!! Of course I took the G5 back to Apple and asked for my money back. I mean, if I had 1Ghz G5 processor this one would be 4 times slower than the G4 of the PB.

Any way... right now I am doing 2 renders in a software called Artmatic. One in the 12" and another one in the G3 500 pismo with 256MB of ram and for my surprice the Pismo already passed the 12" PB in rendered frames!!!! I have the exact same composition, I only changed the picture I am modifiying, one is a horse and another one is a face... no movies... pictures, same dimensions and same durations.

So... what is going on here? what are the secrets of the architecture? :confused:

intrepkid21
Feb 17, 2005, 04:18 PM
now thats just weird...

brap
Feb 17, 2005, 04:28 PM
Shh, don't tell anyone. Their computers have actually been getting gradually slower over the past 5 years. The real -fastest- Mac ever is still the Bondi G3 iMac, it's all a marketing ploy.

Mord
Feb 17, 2005, 04:35 PM
i know a few people who acctually think that

Bonsaichop
Feb 17, 2005, 04:37 PM
Ok, Apple is playing games with me.

Back in November I bought a G5 2.0 to do a job in After Effects. One day I put the G5 to render the same thing against my 12" 1Ghz PB. The G5 had 512 Ram and the 12" 1256 MB of ram. The G5 finished the render in 2 hours 30 minutes and the PB in 3 hours! just 30 minutes differnece between a dual 2.0 G5 and one 1Ghz G4!!! Of course I took the G5 back to Apple and asked for my money back. I mean, if I had 1Ghz G5 processor this one would be 4 times slower than the G4 of the PB.

Any way... right now I am doing 2 renders in a software called Artmatic. One in the 12" and another one in the G3 500 pismo with 256MB of ram and for my surprice the Pismo already passed the 12" PB in rendered frames!!!! I have the exact same composition, I only changed the picture I am modifiying, one is a horse and another one is a face... no movies... pictures, same dimensions and same durations.

So... what is going on here? what are the secrets of the architecture? :confused:

rendering is a funny thing, however it also depends on what you are rendering. What i'm going to say crosses paths with what you're saying but doesnt go the same way.

I've been doing some video editing as of late, re-rendering some movies and whatnot, i've found that with things like home movies which have alot of movement and changing scenes a typical render of a 2hr block is about 40 min-1hr. However, i found one of my old cartoon videos and decided to dothe same thing, it only took 20 min, typically because alot of the things that had to be rendered were still, solid colours.

It might be the same with teh horse vs the face? Try rendering the exact same thing and see how fast it is, also what operating systems have you got running on either one?

maya
Feb 17, 2005, 04:39 PM
Shh, don't tell anyone. Their computers have actually been getting gradually slower over the past 5 years. The real -fastest- Mac ever is still the Bondi G3 iMac, it's all a marketing ploy.

I knew it all along. :eek: :p ;) :)

mymemory
Feb 17, 2005, 04:58 PM
I am running OSX in both and no other application. The picture of the face and horse are just the same size (640x480) because I need to do the exact same animation but with both figures.

Now the G3 got slower and that mean is rendering at the same speed than the G4, 6 seconds per frame... and the G3 is running iTunes.

jamdr
Feb 17, 2005, 05:58 PM
I think obviously there is something wrong with your "tests." There have been plently of more scientific benchmarks taken that show the performance benefits of the G5 over the G4--it is definitely faster, even at the same clock speed. As for your 500MHz G3 being faster than your 1GHz G4, well that's just ridiculous. I've done rendering on similiar machines (a 400MHz G3 and a 800MHz G4) and I can tell you that the G4 was much, much faster. So assuming your hardware is not broken, either the program your using is really crap or you're not reading the stopwatch right.

jamdr
Feb 17, 2005, 06:00 PM
I just saw your signature and am now thinking this is merely a case of seeing what you want to see...

Mechcozmo
Feb 17, 2005, 06:17 PM
I am running OSX in both and no other application. <snippity>... and the G3 is running iTunes.

Erm. iTunes isn't an application?

And, if you had 1 GB or more of RAM in the G5 it would definitely go much faster. 512MB isn't enough for rendering. 768MB MINIMUM for video rendering. A G5 should have at least 2 GB of RAM, because if that is what you are doing with it you will see much more speed.

Jo-Kun
Feb 17, 2005, 06:37 PM
I have 1.5GB in my G5, a friend has 3GB inside his... we're sometimes working with the same scans since I have to make them for him... 700mb/piece... my G5 can cope with it in photoshop, his does everything smoother... so ram is as allways the issue on a mac... the more the better (if only apple themselves would allso choose to sell their ram at normal prices...)

I had a G3 B&W 300Mhz with 768MB ram and a Ti PowerBook G4 400Mhz with 256MB ram the G3 did everything smoother than the G4 until I got 1GB in the G4 than it was the better one & then along came Panther and it even ran more smooth...

for the scanning itself for instance ram was/is not an issue, only how fast your drive can cope with the data...
700MB scan from a 4"x5" slide (1mx1.5m@300dpi):
TiPb 4200rpm ata33or66 don't know: 30min
G5 7200rmp SATA: 5min

as always it depends on what you do and what you need

I just have difficulties to believe that your Pismo with 5times less memory is faster... but today I witnessed a 2x2Ghz G5 with 1GB ram (at another friend) being utterly slow for the machine it is... it felt like my TiPb on jaguar with only 256MB ram... so maybe there are good ones and bad ones out there??

Mechcozmo
Feb 17, 2005, 06:44 PM
Maybe you should repair permissions? Run cron jobs? etc... That usually speeds up many a Macintosh.

sjpetry
Feb 17, 2005, 07:00 PM
I also wear a tin foil hat so the government can't read my thoughts. :rolleyes: