PDA

View Full Version : ram issue - missing anything?

regan2
Feb 17, 2005, 05:04 PM
I bought what I thought to be 2 x 512 sticks of 3200 DDR off the marketplace forum here a few weeks ago. I just realized today that the sticks are coming up as 2 x 256 instead of the 2 x 512 that I thought I bought.

Am i missing something?

When I first installed the sticks, they weren't recognized upon booting. I have 2 x 256 original from apple and just popped one of each (new ram) in the two open slots on my dual 1.8 (new, not 8 slot). The machine booted fine, but upon opening the apple profiler, it only recognized the two original sticks of ram. i then pulled all four sticks out and placed them in the other spots, effectively reversing them. Same thing, 512mb of RAM found, two spots still empty.

So I pulled the machine onto the desk and pulled all the sticks out. I then put the matching pairs together on each side. When I booted, 1gb was recognized and I thought I was succesful. It was only today when I was looking for an old message that I realized they'd been advertised as 2 x 512 which they aren't recognized as.

What am I missing? Is there anything that could cause this discrepancy on my end?

Thanks!

crazzyeddie
Feb 17, 2005, 05:58 PM
Look on the RAM sticks themselves. You should see a sticker that has the size of the stick labeled, or something like 8x64, which is 8 64MB chips, or 512MB. Or you can look on each individual chip on the RAM stick to see how much each is, then count the total (each side should have the same number of chips).