PDA

View Full Version : Potential issues with the new iPad cover

freak99
Mar 7, 2011, 01:50 PM
I was thinking about this new cover and, while I like its slimness, I can see a couple of issues relating to my personal usage habits.

First, it doesn't appear that the cover folds behind the device like the current cover does. It seems that the cover is either on off and you must take it completely off in order to use the device. I'm not fond of the idea of having to keep up with the cover when it isn't on the device.

Also, while the new cover seems to do a nice job as a stand on a desk or table, I'm weary of how it will function on my lap. The current case works well in this way, but based on the images of the new design, I'm not sure it will be stable enough while resting on my legs.

Thoughts?

rdowns
Mar 7, 2011, 01:51 PM
Thoughts?

Yeah, it's a cover. Stop over thinking it. If you don't think it will work for you, don't get it.

ECUpirate44
Mar 7, 2011, 01:51 PM
I agree. It's not a case, its just a screen cover. A speck case will provide much more protection.

deeddawg
Mar 7, 2011, 01:57 PM
First, it doesn't appear that the cover folds behind the device like the current cover does. It seems that the cover is either on off and you must take it completely off in order to use the device.

Thoughts?

Appearances are deceiving -- in an Engadget video on announcement day you can clearly see a lady showing the ipad2 with the smartcover folded behind. And when she wanted to use the camer, she folded it in half, behind, unblocking the camera.

Now that thing isn't going to be the best solution for everyone, but thats true for any case or cover.

For more info, see the other threads about the Smart Cover already in the Accessories forum.

freak99
Mar 7, 2011, 11:40 PM
Yeah, it's a cover. Stop over thinking it. If you don't think it will work for you, don't get it.

Just looking for feedback of what others think.

freak99
Mar 7, 2011, 11:42 PM
Appearances are deceiving -- in an Engadget video on announcement day you can clearly see a lady showing the ipad2 with the smartcover folded behind. And when she wanted to use the camer, she folded it in half, behind, unblocking the camera.

Now that thing isn't going to be the best solution for everyone, but thats true for any case or cover.

For more info, see the other threads about the Smart Cover already in the Accessories forum.

Thanks. I didn't think to check the accessories forum.

asleep
Mar 7, 2011, 11:48 PM
Thoughts?
Unit production costs are probably under a dollar ... lower your expectations.

iMattcotv
Mar 7, 2011, 11:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I hope to god they re design the original apple case to fit the new iPad, I like how when your holding it while it's closed, it looks like a sexy professional gadget.

If not, then I hope someone else makes something extremely stylish and finds a way to make the entire back covered except for the dock and the camera. The speakers could just be covered with a thin cloth like fiber that looks like it's the case design, but you can still hear clearly.

ExnomenDei
Mar 8, 2011, 12:17 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I hope to god they re design the original apple case to fit the new iPad, I like how when your holding it while it's closed, it looks like a sexy professional gadget.

If not, then I hope someone else makes something extremely stylish and finds a way to make the entire back covered except for the dock and the camera. The speakers could just be covered with a thin cloth like fiber that looks like it's the case design, but you can still hear clearly.

There is nothing sexy about a 9.7" black piece of plastic that has the most ugly, unfinished edges I have ever seen on a case. The original iPad case is possibly the ugliest case I have ever seen...

That said, we all know Apple isn't going to make any more accessories for this generation of iPad, and there'll be plenty of cases this time next month or so.

As for my favorite design, it would be a matte invisible shield on the back and a Smart Cover on the front.

smoking monkey
Mar 8, 2011, 12:25 AM

Geez, mate, cranky pants or what?

The cover is a vital part of an ipad for many people.

Personally, I'd recommend not getting it judging by what we've seen so far. 3rd party seems to be the way to go I reckon. Pity, the apple cover tech is great and a really innovative idea, but I get the feeling that it's more for those who only use an iPad at home.

nvcplus
Mar 8, 2011, 01:24 AM
There is nothing sexy about a 9.7" black piece of plastic that has the most ugly, unfinished edges I have ever seen on a case. The original iPad case is possibly the ugliest case I have ever seen...

I could not agree more. Sexy? Hell no. Functional at best. It felt cheap after a few months of use. The edges dug into my hand after long periods of use. I hated the thing.

nvcplus
Mar 8, 2011, 01:27 AM
Geez, mate, cranky pants or what?

The cover is a vital part of an ipad for many people.

Personally, I'd recommend not getting it judging by what we've seen so far. 3rd party seems to be the way to go I reckon.

Yes he is abrupt, but he is saying essentially the same thing you are. There seems to be this common thought that you HAVE to buy the Apple accessory. So people are ripping it and picking it apart. For what? It is getting old already. There are literally hundreds of other cases that will be produced.

joltaxt
Mar 8, 2011, 01:34 AM

Blunt, but I agree. There are too many threads here with users asking to be convinced into buying something they're not sure of. Couldn't have said it better.

rdowns
Mar 8, 2011, 08:38 AM
Blunt, but I agree. There are too many threads here with users asking to be convinced into buying something they're not sure of. Couldn't have said it better.

Not to mention the damn thing isn't even out yet. All we have is baseless speculation at this point.

EdwardMoffet
Mar 21, 2011, 06:36 AM
Unit production costs are probably under a dollar ... lower your expectations.

Yet it costs 40 bucks. Maybe it's apple that should lower their price.

glen e
Mar 21, 2011, 07:59 AM
Yet it costs 40 bucks. Maybe it's apple that should lower their price.

Oh hell no....leave the price alone....great for my retirement stock.....this has got to be the biggest gross profit item for apple ever made....or least as good as the "hall of fame" grosser - the $2 bumper for the phone that cost 30 bucks...and yes i own one....doing my part!

zoman504
Mar 21, 2011, 09:52 AM
Oh hell no....leave the price alone....great for my retirement stock.....this has got to be the biggest gross profit item for apple ever made....or least as good as the "hall of fame" grosser - the $2 bumper for the phone that cost 30 bucks...and yes i own one....doing my part!

To be fair, a large part of owning apple products is paying a steep price for their design. You almost have to think of it as art. It's not the paint and canvas you're paying for. Personally, I think the bumper and smart cover prices should've been at least $10 less though.

Night Spring
Mar 21, 2011, 10:24 AM
Also, while the new cover seems to do a nice job as a stand on a desk or table, I'm weary of how it will function on my lap. The current case works well in this way, but based on the images of the new design, I'm not sure it will be stable enough while resting on my legs.

You are right the cover isn't stable on your legs. In my experience, it does an okay job of balancing on my legs, but the magnet connecting the cover to the iPad tends to come off when I shift around. I tend to just fold back the cover and hold the iPad in my hand.