Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I'm sure some folks remember the ridiculous attempt by Buy.com to dominate the iTMS early on, with their CEO making claims to selling something like 10 million songs a week because it was Windows compatible. Of course, their software was a disaster, their store actively unfriendly to anything but IE (that's what caused me to take my business elsewhere, and I haven't shopped there since), and their licencing system confusing, so they probably haven't sold 10 million songs in the last year, and I hadn't even heard anything about Buy.com since then.

Well, I ended up at their site through a DealMac link today, and noticed that they've got some big new "virtual mall" thing going called (dyslexicly) Yub.com (I don't know how new it is, admittedly). One of the featured stores in their mall? iTunes.

I assume the whole mall concept operates off of various stores' affiliate programs (the iTMS being no exception), and I'd say this is about as close as a corporation can get to walking up to their competitor and saying "we suck, please help us". But hey, if you want to save $0.20 on a track you can always buy from the Buy.com music store too!

If Steve Jobs even cares, I'll bet he got a kick out of this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.