PDA

View Full Version : Processor performance settings on the iMac G5

SteveC
Feb 17, 2005, 08:19 PM
I have a few thoughts/questions about the processor performance settings on the iMac G5.

I understand that in the System Preferences you can change the setting from Automatic to Highest.

1. How much of a difference in the speed is there between the two settings? (Based on personal experience or benchmarks online...)

2. What kind of wear and tear does it put on the processor when you run it at Highest? More specifically, is it going to cut the life of my computer in half? lol or how much does it affect it?

I want to get good performance out of it but not cut the life of the computer either. ;)

hcuar
Feb 17, 2005, 08:23 PM
Bah... run it at max performance. I think the settings you are referring to are used to maximize the battery life of PBs and iBooks. ;) You're not going to hurt the iMac by running it at the highest performance.

SteveC
Feb 17, 2005, 09:10 PM
Haha ok. You posted a good, direct answer. :D

I guess by the time the processor could wear out it'd be time for a new computer anyway, right?

Demon Hunter
Feb 17, 2005, 09:33 PM
Haha ok. You posted a good, direct answer. :D

I guess by the time the processor could wear out it'd be time for a new computer anyway, right?

Processors don't "wear out." Wherever you heard this, it's not correct. It's not like a car engine, which needs maintenance and repairs after a long time.

Now that doesn't mean it won't fail after a few decades of use, but you get the idea.

Cleaning out dust is always a good idea. Never let any loose screws escape. Always wear anti-static gloves. Overclocking isn't for the faint of heart.

:)