PDA

View Full Version : How can I get online with my PB and wife's mini?

nospleen
Feb 17, 2005, 10:08 PM
Hello, I have a powerbook that I get online with via my airport express. My mini does not have airport installed, so I cannot hard wire it and be wireless with my powerbook. I used to have the base station and it had an ethernet out port, but my express does not. Is there a such thing as an ethernet splitter, where i can plug it in and have two outs? Thanks!

cyanide
Feb 17, 2005, 10:20 PM
yeh its called a router. nowadays for 29 bucks you can get a wireless one (802.11 G) that would better suit your needs than the airport express.it will have wireless and most likely four hardwired ports. keep the airport express though, and use it to send music to your stereo. all will be well.

PlaceofDis
Feb 17, 2005, 10:22 PM
even though you have an express a router is what you seem to need. What you will have to do is have the dsl modem or cable modem plug into the router which can then connect to the mini and your airport express at the same time, thus you can be online wireless and hard-wired. or just get an airport express card for the mini and install it. either one would work, depends on the direction you want to go though

nospleen
Feb 17, 2005, 10:26 PM
even though you have an express a router is what you seem to need. What you will have to do is have the dsl modem or cable modem plug into the router which can then connect to the mini and your airport express at the same time, thus you can be online wireless and hard-wired. or just get an airport express card for the mini and install it. either one would work, depends on the direction you want to go though

Is it a pain to configure, or do I need to configure anything? I like the simplicity of the airport express. Also, any links to a recommended one?

jsw
Feb 17, 2005, 10:46 PM
Is it a pain to configure, or do I need to configure anything? I like the simplicity of the airport express. Also, any links to a recommended one?
I don't know what your budget is, but the Linksys WRT54G can often be found for $60, and it's a router (4 ports) as well as being wireless (802.11g) and you can set up your AE to serve as a bridge, meaning you can use the Linksys as the main router - including for your PB's AirPort - and then, far away from your DSL modem - plug the mini into the AE and use the mini, effectively, wirelessly. This is the exact setup I use to get 802.11g speeds with my older iMac (not Airport Extreme card compatible).

Edit: see 30th post (mine) in this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=98846&&p=1148962) thread for details.

Edit 2: The AirPort Express still can serve your PB and will extend your wireless range. Both the Linksys and the AExpress will be usable.

Champale
Feb 17, 2005, 10:50 PM
Routers aren't always so simple. But they're not the hardest things to figure out either.

I've had good luck with Netgear and Linksys routers. What I'd recommend is going to a Compusa or a Best Buy on a slow day and ask for a basic 802.11g router.

Or if you want to stick with Apple, pony up the bucks for an Airport base station. Personally, I'd save the bucks and go with something else like the aforementioned brands.

Then if you can't figure out how to hook it up, get a tech savvy friend to do the deed for pizzas and beer!

:)

TEG
Feb 17, 2005, 11:01 PM
I have an Idea. Buy another Airport Express, or even any other Airport (all can do this), and use the station as a bridge between the Wireless and the mini. You just need to set it as an internet bridge, and to distribute NAT addresses via ethernet.

I did it for my PS2 because running cables all over the house was NOT an option.

TEG