Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joltaxt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
It's not disrespect to the smart cover, I'm still in love with it. However...

I don't have the money to be buying cases at will, so for me it's either one case or the other. l'll be a first time iPad owner, and while I didn't own the first one my number one issue is bulk. I didn't buy the iPad because it felt too weighty in my hands + the apple case adding even more bulk really didn't do it justice. The slimmer iPad has me sold and I love the direction Apple is going with the smart cover.

My rationale, is that I'll be using my iPad quite frequently out of the house on the subway/bus so the smart cover isn't going to be enough to protect against the rude city folk bumping into me when I'm using public transportation. No doubt in my mind I'll end up dropping it at least once. I still love the smart cover (red leather), but just can't afford it.

I decided to go with the iSkinz summit case:

SUMIT-CN1.png

I plan on getting the protective film regardless (I'm too concerned about the back being exposed like that, but also don't want to add bulk. Just curious if anyone else also was keen on getting the smart cover, but decided not too since it's really not going to provide much protection once you take it outside.

iDabble

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Good decision for your use. My iPad rarely leaves my house so a smart cover type case is fine.

Itsmemalloy

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
Charleston, SC
Red leather Smart Cover and GelaSkin back (when they come out with them). Or a Zagg on the back. That carry case looks like a North Face jacket for iPad. Too bulky and not really for a man IMHO.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Sleeves aren't going to protect the iPad when it slips out of your hand and drops onto the ground or other hard surfaces. Get a TPU cover for the back, and a screen protector for the front.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.