Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JinsterBeady

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Hey guys,
I found some old mini DV tapes with some footage on it from a friend's wedding. I'm wanting to edit it in Final Cut Express.
However, when I viewed it on the camera itself as well as in the capture window, the timecode does not seem to be registering. As in when you fast forward, rewind and play there are dashes for a timecode. (Sometimes numbers flash but they don't move).
I'm finding this makes it impossible for me to capture and iMovie '09 isn't registering the camera.
I also can't seem to change the capture setting to capture NOW.

I've been trying at this for the last 3 hours.
Any ideas?!?

Thanks.

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
Hey guys,
I found some old mini DV tapes with some footage on it from a friend's wedding. I'm wanting to edit it in Final Cut Express.
However, when I viewed it on the camera itself as well as in the capture window, the timecode does not seem to be registering. As in when you fast forward, rewind and play there are dashes for a timecode. (Sometimes numbers flash but they don't move).
I'm finding this makes it impossible for me to capture and iMovie '09 isn't registering the camera.
I also can't seem to change the capture setting to capture NOW.

I've been trying at this for the last 3 hours.
Any ideas?!?

Thanks.

You probably have broken timecode which is a b**** to deal with. One solution that I did before switching to digital was hooking up two HDV tape decks via firewire and playing the tape on one and recording to a new tape on the other. If iMovie isn't recognizing the camera you may not be using a compatible camera.

JinsterBeady

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Hey thanks for your reply!
Unfortunately I don't have tape decks. So sounds as if I'm screwed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.