Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chops42257

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Japan
As the title states, I am unable to boot on non-Mac bootable media on my new MacBook Pro 15". Have gone thru Google and MacRumor forums lots of times, but still struggling ... here's the situation.

・Mac OS Installation Disc
-> boots into installer perfectly fine

・Windows 7 Installation Disc via Boot Camp assistant or any other non-Mac bootable disc (backup tools, firmware updates, Ubuntu ...) directly

-> disc shows up when I boot with option key pressed, but when I select the disc, Apple logo shows up with flashing ? folder and a "no-no" sign.

・Windows 7 Installation Disc or any other non-Mac bootable disc (backup tools, firmware updates, Ubuntu ...) via rEFIt

-> error message "The firmware refused to boot from the selected volume. Note that external hard drives are not well-supported by Apple's firmware for legacy OS booting." shows up.

The discs boot perfectly fine on my Early 2007 Santa Rosa MacBook Pro. Please let me know if there's a good solution to this, or whether this is a Genius Bar matter or not.

Thanks very much in advance.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
By any chance did you set an EFI firmware password? I seem to recall this being an issue before? If you didn't, I would consider setting one and then removing it.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.