Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Does anyone know what is the preferred method of getting online in order to maximise battery life - USB 3G or MiFi (e.g. WiFi)? Which uses more battery?

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Does anyone know what is the preferred method of getting online in order to maximise battery life - USB 3G or MiFi (e.g. WiFi)? Which uses more battery?

I think WiFi would use less battery because it only transmits at 100mW max while 3G uses 1/2W max depending on the band used.

But of course it depends on the actual model USB stick used, etc...

Of course with a MiFi you have to carry another thing around, and worry about its battery being charged. With a USB modem I always worry about it breaking off because it sticks out so far (or breaking the USB port when I hit it on a table edge or something).

There's no perfect solution unfortunately unless Apple introduces built-in 3G. I for one hope they will!

zinka

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2009

My USB 3G (a Sprint card) uses a LOT of battery. You're much better off with a MiFi, as long as you don't mind charging it separately.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
My USB 3G (a Sprint card) uses a LOT of battery. You're much better off with a MiFi, as long as you don't mind charging it separately.

Thanks, I don't mind charging the MiFi separately, as I'm assuming its battery life if fairly decent.

darrellishere

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
My 3g usb modem, fried my old macbook airs motherboard!!!! So I would be very wary, and get the mifi, or use your iphone (personal hotspot)

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
Thanks, I don't mind charging the MiFi separately, as I'm assuming its battery life if fairly decent.

I have a MIFI, keep in mind, the Mifi can be plugged into the computer as well if battery life gets low, a bit cumbersome setup, but if you browse greater than 3.5-4 hours, then this is an option for charging back....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.