PDA

View Full Version : MBA Battery - 3G USB vs Wifi(MiFi)

Pinksteady
Mar 8, 2011, 06:00 AM
Does anyone know what is the preferred method of getting online in order to maximise battery life - USB 3G or MiFi (e.g. WiFi)? Which uses more battery?

GekkePrutser
Mar 8, 2011, 06:27 AM
Does anyone know what is the preferred method of getting online in order to maximise battery life - USB 3G or MiFi (e.g. WiFi)? Which uses more battery?

I think WiFi would use less battery because it only transmits at 100mW max while 3G uses 1/2W max depending on the band used.

But of course it depends on the actual model USB stick used, etc...

Of course with a MiFi you have to carry another thing around, and worry about its battery being charged. With a USB modem I always worry about it breaking off because it sticks out so far (or breaking the USB port when I hit it on a table edge or something).

There's no perfect solution unfortunately unless Apple introduces built-in 3G. I for one hope they will!

zinka
Mar 8, 2011, 01:38 PM

My USB 3G (a Sprint card) uses a LOT of battery. You're much better off with a MiFi, as long as you don't mind charging it separately.

Pinksteady
Mar 8, 2011, 01:56 PM
My USB 3G (a Sprint card) uses a LOT of battery. You're much better off with a MiFi, as long as you don't mind charging it separately.

Thanks, I don't mind charging the MiFi separately, as I'm assuming its battery life if fairly decent.

darrellishere
Mar 8, 2011, 08:56 PM
My 3g usb modem, fried my old macbook airs motherboard!!!! So I would be very wary, and get the mifi, or use your iphone (personal hotspot)

christophermdia
Mar 8, 2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks, I don't mind charging the MiFi separately, as I'm assuming its battery life if fairly decent.

I have a MIFI, keep in mind, the Mifi can be plugged into the computer as well if battery life gets low, a bit cumbersome setup, but if you browse greater than 3.5-4 hours, then this is an option for charging back....