Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
MOBILITY™ RADEON® X800 - The world’s most powerful mobile graphics processor for High Definition (HD) gaming on PCI Express® notebooks

The World’s Fastest and Most Powerful Mobile VPU*
The MOBILITY™ RADEON® X800 deliver frame rates that surpass any previous graphics processor making it the world’s fastest and most powerful VPU*. With 12 pixel pipelines, higher clock speeds and breakthrough image enhancement technology, the MOBILITY™ RADEON® X800 provides an extremely smooth, responsive HD gaming experience, putting capable gamers in complete control of even the most demanding game titles. A radically new architecture based on the latest .13 micron, low-k manufacturing process delivers the fastest mobile performance without sacrificing battery life.

The question I am asking myself now, is what Apple's next move is with the mobile GPU (yes I am a bit obsessed with this). :)

Even the 9800 Mobility is becoming aged (comparatively) when you compare it to this... 12 pixel pipelines in a notebook! Ridiculous! :D Even my PC friends still use cards with 8 pipelines... I believe the 9700M has 4.

Optimized for widescreen notebooks... twice the bandwith of AGP...

Will Apple go with AGP or PCI-E for the next revision?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Whats the power consumption and heat generation like? I'd wager that it's much higher than the 9700/9800 mobility line! Still it'd be nice to have a laptop that kicks that much ass :)

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Well that sound good, but the 9700 is also pretty good tough :p
I think that there will come a PM update with PCIe and new GPU's first ;)

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
AlmostThere said:
I expect they will appear in the next generation of PowerBooks

and then remain there, unchanged, for 3 years ;)

3 Year with the same GPU :eek: are you serious :confused:
Then it has been out dated once before :p

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Platform said:
3 Year with the same GPU :eek: are you serious :confused:
Then it has been out dated once before :p

Apple has a tendency to every now and then make a new product release with all of the latest technologies and then let it stagnate for a couple of years.

For example, the PowerMac G5 came out in June 2003 with all of the trimmings... SATA, high-speed DDR RAM, dual-bank RAM, PCI-X, etc.
However, it's not February of 2005, and the PowerMac G5 still has the same list of features, but is lacking newer technologies like DDR2 and PCI-e

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.