PDA

View Full Version : Google Instant Previews Launch for iOS

MacRumors
Mar 8, 2011, 12:01 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2011/03/08/google-instant-previews-launch-for-ios/)

Google today announced (http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2011/03/instant-previews-now-available-on.html) the official launch of Instant Previews for mobile devices running Android 2.2+ and iOS 4.0+, offering preview snapshots of webpages right from search results.Similar to the desktop version of Instant Previews, you can visually compare search results from webpage snapshots, making it easier to choose the right result faster, especially when you have an idea of the content you'd like to see.

For example, if you're looking for a webpage that has both photos and descriptions, you can use Instant Previews to quickly identify these pages by navigating across the visual search results with a few swipes of your finger. Or perhaps you’re looking for an article, a step-by-step instructions list, or a product comparison chart - with Instant Previews, you can see easily spot pages with the right content without having to navigate back and forth between websites and search results.Instant Previews are available in 38 languages and can be accessed by tapping the magnifying glass icon next to search results on Google's mobile web interface. Users can then navigate between result previews by swiping sideways.

Article Link: Google Instant Previews Launch for iOS (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2011/03/08/google-instant-previews-launch-for-ios/)

timirving
Mar 8, 2011, 12:12 PM
I like it; very functional :)

Tailpike1153
Mar 8, 2011, 12:13 PM
Interesting. I'll have to check it out.

mudman2
Mar 8, 2011, 12:18 PM
Nobody else think google is just getting monotonous at this point. I hate instant search on windows because it slows everything down same as flash, trying to stuff everything out there just because you can rather that seeing if its even worth having is a sucky model

iScott428
Mar 8, 2011, 12:46 PM
Clean and Impressive, I will be interested to try this out later.

vincebio
Mar 8, 2011, 01:14 PM
so now they want us to look thru a series of snapshots of the websites to find the right one instead of just looking at the text as normal...yeah that will speed things up...:rolleyes:

GabooN
Mar 8, 2011, 01:40 PM
if you use it in portrait then the text of the search still shows under each image, so you get the description and the image. in landscape you only get the name of the search result.

troop231
Mar 8, 2011, 02:13 PM
Seems pretty decent overall.

GSPice
Mar 8, 2011, 02:17 PM
the swipe animation is so choppy on that non iOS device.

celo48
Mar 8, 2011, 03:00 PM
I like it but the only problem is the previews are too small to read. I bet this would work much better on iPad.

ppc_michael
Mar 8, 2011, 03:14 PM
Oh this is neat!! Scrolling is smooth as silk on my Nexus One / Cyanogenmod7 + Android 2.3.3.

spillproof
Mar 8, 2011, 04:08 PM
I've had this feature for the past week. I don't see myself using this feature often, but I did use it once when I only remembered what the website looked like.

BC2009
Mar 8, 2011, 11:18 PM
I like it but the only problem is the previews are too small to read. I bet this would work much better on iPad.

It would be cool on the iPad. Although I don't see myself using this feature too often, there are times it will be really useful (like when I can remember what a page I visited before looked like, but not its address).

Instead of trying to put their foot in every aspect of the tech industry, this is the kind of stuff that Google should be doing. They excel at search and internet applications. its a shame that their Honeycomb Chrome-look-alike browser is not really Chrome under the hood and does such a poor job (http://www.sencha.com/blog/motorola-xoom-the-html5-developer-scorecard/) on HTML-5 and CSS3 so as to make it difficult to implement rich web-based internet applications.

It would make more sense to me if Google focused much more of their efforts on doing things on the Web without plugins that rival native applications on both mobile and desktop. There is so much work to be done in this area and this sort of feature is just the tip of the iceberg.

Nice job on this Google.

alma111
Apr 16, 2011, 04:13 AM
Google today announced the official launch of Instant Previews for mobile devices running Android 2.2+ and iOS 4.0+, offering preview snapshots of webpages right from search results.

Similar to the desktop version of Instant Previews, you can visually compare search results from webpage snapshots, making it easier to choose the right result faster, especially when you have an idea of the content you'd like to see.

For example, if you're looking for a webpage that has both photos and descriptions, you can use Instant Previews to quickly identify these pages by navigating across the visual search results with a few swipes of your finger. Or perhaps you’re looking for an article, a step-by-step instructions list, or a product comparison chart - with Instant Previews, you can see easily spot pages with the right content without having to navigate back and forth between websites and search results.
Instant Previews are available in 38 languages and can be accessed by tapping the magnifying glass icon next to search results on Google's mobile web interface. Users can then navigate between result previews by swiping sideways.