PDA

View Full Version : South Korea's SK Telecom to Launch iPhone on March 16th

MacRumors
Mar 8, 2011, 12:58 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/08/south-koreas-sk-telecom-to-become-second-cdma-iphone-carrier-on-march-16th/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/03/08/135141-sk_telecom_iphone.jpg

South Korean carrier SK Telecom today announced (http://www.sktelecom.com/eng/jsp/n_prcenter/PressReleasesList.jsp) that it will launch the iPhone on March 16th, becoming the second carrier in that country to carry the iPhone."SK Telecom is proud to offer iPhone 4 on the nation's top network," said So Jin-Woo, President of Platform Business and Co-CEO of SK Telecom. "Our customers will benefit from flexible tariff plans tailored to their unique usage needs along with a high level of customer care."Pre-registration for the iPhone on SK Telecom begins tomorrow. With the launch, SK Telecom will end the exclusivity held by KT Telecom for the last several years.

Article Link: South Korea's SK Telecom to Launch iPhone on March 16th (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2011/03/08/south-koreas-sk-telecom-to-become-second-cdma-iphone-carrier-on-march-16th/)

richardsonrs
Mar 8, 2011, 01:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

More sheep!!!!

jake4ever
Mar 8, 2011, 01:11 PM
Why does the iPhone on the right look different then the one on the left?

troop231
Mar 8, 2011, 01:13 PM

A phenomenon known to scientists as a reflection :eek:

richardsonrs
Mar 8, 2011, 01:18 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

A phenomenon known by scientists as a reflection :eek:

Fake!!!! CDMA iPhones do no exist.

adztaylor
Mar 8, 2011, 01:19 PM
The guy on the left is holding it wrong.

zorinlynx
Mar 8, 2011, 01:20 PM
How about Sprint?

Come on, let's get even more competition going. :)

Tailpike1153
Mar 8, 2011, 01:20 PM
And another one gone, and another one gone
Another one bites the dust
Hey, I'm gonna get you too
Another one bites the dust

Cheers to the big A. Cheers to the SK. If you're a shareholder, yell "Hell Yeah!"

troop231
Mar 8, 2011, 01:24 PM
How about Sprint?

Come on, let's get even more competition going. :)

Sprint would be good for competition, unlimited everything for a heck of a deal.

chrmjenkins
Mar 8, 2011, 01:30 PM
China next mayhaps.

ten-oak-druid
Mar 8, 2011, 01:37 PM
More iphone carriers + more viruses on android phones = short lived android "dominance"

Mattie Num Nums
Mar 8, 2011, 01:37 PM
Sprint would be good for competition, unlimited everything for a heck of a deal.

No! Because once the iPhone comes to Sprint, it will give Sprint an excuse to take it away from us.

cameronjpu
Mar 8, 2011, 01:39 PM
Kinda funny - they are very specifically holding it in such a way to avoid the death grip :)

ThomasJL
Mar 8, 2011, 01:50 PM
Since it's introduction last year, Apple has sold the GSM iPhone 4 in South Korea. If it's true that South Korea only has a CDMA network and does not have a GSM network, then how does the GSM iPhone 4 work in South Korea?

Tailpike1153
Mar 8, 2011, 01:53 PM

Fake!!!! CDMA iPhones do no exist.

And neither does the white iPhone 4.

CIA
Mar 8, 2011, 01:54 PM
According to 9to5mac.com they are using HSPA+ and not CDMA.... The website (SK Telecom's) states they offer both. So maybe they are just launching it on the GSM part of their network and not the CDMA side...

Consultant
Mar 8, 2011, 01:55 PM
Great news. Maybe China is next.

AppleFantastic4
Mar 8, 2011, 01:57 PM
bloodpath. Next will be China

http://d2omthbq56rzfx.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/imageviewer4g.jpeg

Tailpike1153
Mar 8, 2011, 02:03 PM
Since it's introduction last year, Apple has sold the GSM iPhone 4 in South Korea. If it's true that South Korea only has a CDMA network and does not have a GSM network, then how does the GSM iPhone 4 work in South Korea?

I believe KT and SK have GSM networks in the 2100MHz flavor. But their CDMA footprints are still larger.

number9
Mar 8, 2011, 02:58 PM
Sure looks like a GSM iPhone 4 to me. You can see the split in the antennae to the right of the headphone port location, and nothing on the left or right side of the phone where the Verizon version is split. It's hard to tell, but I don't think these are CDMA.

CIA
Mar 8, 2011, 02:58 PM
March 16th?

Wait a freaking 3 months and get iPhone 5. These koreans will go like berserker as soon as they find their iphone 4 will be outdated. In 3 months, God steve will announce mighty iPhone 5.

Koreans will be like, OMG WTF! I just bought one 3 months ago.

They act so aggressively. We don't want any angry koreans. SK telecoms will never ever offer early upgrades or anything.

Wait freaking 3 months.

3 Months in the US, international roll outs come later.... Months and months later in some cases.

puercaeli
Mar 8, 2011, 05:31 PM
Why was there a rumor of CDMA version in first place? SK 3G network is based on GSM. Only third and the smallest telecomm company in Korea, LG uses CDMA Rev A. or sth like that...

3 Months in the US, international roll outs come later.... Months and months later in some cases.

Yeah especially with Korean version seems to take awhile to get background approval etc...

puercaeli
Mar 8, 2011, 07:29 PM
I believe KT and SK have GSM networks in the 2100MHz flavor. But their CDMA footprints are still larger.

But CDMA from SK & KT only supports so-called 2G network.

cheolsu
Mar 8, 2011, 08:48 PM
I was in South Korea last year. I was carrying my iPhone 3G that I purchased in Australia. Why don't phones purchased from other countries work in Korea :confused: I understand that they are on a much advanced Mobile network similar to Japan. So, I ended up renting a simple mobile phone from the airport..

kdarling
Mar 8, 2011, 09:25 PM
If it's true that South Korea only has a CDMA network and does not have a GSM network, then how does the GSM iPhone 4 work in South Korea?

Over UMTS-3G.

According to 9to5mac.com they are using HSPA+ and not CDMA.... The website (SK Telecom's) states they offer both. So maybe they are just launching it on the GSM part of their network and not the CDMA side...

They don't have a GSM (2G) side, AFAIK. (There might be some GSM-GPRS networks around, though.)

SK Telecom uses a CDMA2000 network, with support for 1X voice, EVDO 3G Rev A and UMTS 3G with HSPA.

Just as UMTS-3G was tacked onto older GSM-2G networks, in this case UMTS-3G was tacked onto an older CDMA2000 network.

Mapmonkey
Mar 10, 2011, 12:43 PM
I was in South Korea last year. I was carrying my iPhone 3G that I purchased in Australia. Why don't phones purchased from other countries work in Korea :confused: I understand that they are on a much advanced Mobile network similar to Japan. So, I ended up renting a simple mobile phone from the airport..

It didn't work because it wasn't whitelisted. Before Dec 2010 foreign handsets had to be approved via an expensive testing process. Now it's possible to register you handset online.

Over UMTS-3G.

They don't have a GSM (2G) side, AFAIK. (There might be some GSM-GPRS networks around, though.)

SK Telecom uses a CDMA2000 network, with support for 1X voice, EVDO 3G Rev A and UMTS 3G with HSPA.

Just as UMTS-3G was tacked onto older GSM-2G networks, in this case UMTS-3G was tacked onto an older CDMA2000 network.

Pretty much nailed it. There has never been a GSM network of any frequency band in South Korea. One of the reasons folks here had to put up with AMPS for another two years whilst everyone was getting GSM. KMT/Shinsegi now SK both started with IS95 CDMA at 900. LG and KTF rolled out later at 1900.
At some point SK and KT went with 3G UMTS on top. LG and I guess Verizon in the US didn't.

Apple's classification of the two iPhone models is misleading. The GSM model is really both a 3G UMTS and a 2G GSM device. They are totally different technologies. So your "GSM model" works because it's a 3G model too.

(KT=KTF=olleh)

Signal-11
Mar 21, 2011, 06:34 PM
It didn't work because it wasn't whitelisted. Before Dec 2010 foreign handsets had to be approved via an expensive testing process. Now it's possible to register you handset online.

I kept hearing different dates and different procedures.

I am under the impression that the iPhone 4 has received a class exemption and that all a person has to do is go to a KT corporate store to register an IMEI. Anyone done this?

puercaeli
Mar 22, 2011, 12:31 AM
I kept hearing different dates and different procedures.

I am under the impression that the iPhone 4 has received a class exemption and that all a person has to do is go to a KT corporate store to register an IMEI. Anyone done this?

Yes that legislation is no longer in effect as of 24.Jan I think.
iPhone does not require certification as you have correctly mentioned it received class exemption as Apple certified it already. Other devices not certified yet can still be used(one model per person). Certification process is registration based system(not actual certification like it used to be)

more info can be found here. SK does this as well but I am not so familiar with their site...

http://expatblog.kt.com/36(Not English)
http://shop.olleh.com/ollehshop/Cellphone/Globalbuy.jsp?brandType=GA0(Korean)

Now I am not sure if you are locked into iPhone plan only but this used to be the case so I guess it still is the case...

w00t951
Mar 24, 2011, 09:27 PM
I go to Korea for the summer. Does this mean that my AT&T (GSM) iPhone 4 will get reception? I remember last year, when my AT&T World Edition Blackberry couldn't connect.

puercaeli
Mar 25, 2011, 09:22 AM
I go to Korea for the summer. Does this mean that my AT&T (GSM) iPhone 4 will get reception? I remember last year, when my AT&T World Edition Blackberry couldn't connect.

How long will you be staying? They dont have prepaid sim(like GoPhone) so if it is short term it may not be feasible.

But in terms of working, they should work fine as long as your iPhone has been unlocked(which I dont think AT&T allows?? not sure)