Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yiggy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
Greetings all,

I have a 1.5Ghz Powerbook and I now have a 20" Dell Widescreen monitor connected into the powerbook via DVI.

When I power the PB on the Dell kicks in and the system works in dual screen mode fine. This is normally fine except that if I want for example to play World or Warcraft solely on the Dell monitor I have to either...

Put the screen in Mirror mode. If I press F7 it does this but it puts the Dell screen into the same res as the pb screen thus making it look awful. It does not seem to be possible then to change the res of the dell display to higher. It limits it to the PB screen max res. Perhaps this is normal?

So my only other choice is to close the powerbook lid so the PB goes into sleep mode and then wake it with the mouse. This then brings the Dell screen up in its full res. If I then open the PB up the screen stays off but I can use the keyboard etc. This is fine, however I cant then switch the PB screen back on without rebooting and so far when I have tried that the PB has just hung forcing me to hold down the power button.

Basically can anyone offer any advice as to using the 2nd screen effetively?

Thanks very much everyone. :)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
If you move the menu bar to the external monitor (thus setting it to be the "main" screen) and start WoW what happens?

Yiggy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
That sounds like it might be a plan but I am not sure how to do that.

Can you advise?

Thanks a lot.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Yiggy said:
That sounds like it might be a plan but I am not sure how to do that.

Can you advise?

Thanks a lot.

When you connect your external monitor, goto system preferences-displays. And you will see a tab called arrangement. From there you can drag the menu bar.

cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.