PDA

View Full Version : Lock iPad Apps?

WhySoSerious
Mar 8, 2011, 02:20 PM
If I purchase an iPad and thru MobileMe, it syncs all my contacts and email (personal and business), how can I prevent others from viewing these things (contacts and emails)?

I would like to have my iPad just lay on the coffee table for everyone to use it when they are over (friends, family, etc), but if that opens me up to an invasion of privacy, I donít think I can do this, which is a shame since I like sharing.

Is there any way at all, whether it be through Apple or jailbreak, to lock up my contacts/email apps? Or even create a folder and just toss multiple apps in there to lock them up?

Thanks

BadMoon
Mar 8, 2011, 02:27 PM
That's a good question. However if you don't trust your friends and family I would say thats a bigger issue. :D

WhySoSerious
Mar 8, 2011, 02:42 PM
That's a good question. However if you don't trust your friends and family I would say thats a bigger issue. :D

it's not a situation of trust. it's a situation of giving anyone access to my mail app and reading my tax returns or bank statements. an iPad, to me at least, should be shared with anyone and everyone to enjoy and experience, but not at the expense of losing privacy.

i really want to have the ipad just laying out, like a coffee table book, and allow anyone who visits my home to be able to open it up and experience it. if it requires me to jailbreak the ipad to incorporate locking mechinisms then so be it. i just need some guidance from people here, who do know how to protect private data.

deeddawg
Mar 8, 2011, 02:42 PM
I looked in the Restrictions settings and although you can restrict apps by "age" categories, there's no per-app restriction I could see in 4.3GM.

WhySoSerious
Mar 8, 2011, 02:44 PM
I looked in the Restrictions settings and although you can restrict apps by "age" categories, there's no per-app restriction I could see in 4.3GM.

what about jailbreaking?

I envision jailbreaking the ipad, creating a folder (apple style) and placing sensitive apps in that folder and locking it.

this is a huge community, i'm sure someone out there knows. :)

buddda
Mar 8, 2011, 03:22 PM
This is why you jailbreak! It opens a world of new possibilities for customization. I have an app I downloaded off cydia that allows you to password protect individual apps called locktopus. Works great for keeping certain things private.

Mattstkc
Mar 8, 2011, 03:54 PM
This is why you jailbreak! It opens a world of new possibilities for customization. I have an app I downloaded off cydia that allows you to password protect individual apps called locktopus. Works great for keeping certain things private.

YES. I use PageOnce because I love the simplicity of all my bills, statements, and history in one place, but having that app scared the sh** out of me until I got Locktopus. Def awesome.