PDA

View Full Version : Best wireless mouse for the MBA?

saintforlife
Mar 8, 2011, 07:11 PM
What is the best wireless mouse out there for the MBA? Is Apple Magic Mouse most compatible and preferred?

iPhone1
Mar 8, 2011, 07:14 PM
Magic TrackPad is pretty good also.

torbjoern
Mar 8, 2011, 07:16 PM
I use the Logitech V470

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRY60NisJGsJpeHREOek4SWRk9Q-x5MxZj9NR-tWMWqHrR2mpXG

SandboxGeneral
Mar 8, 2011, 07:17 PM
I really like the Logitech Performance MX (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Performance-Mouse-Mac/dp/B002HWRJBM) mouse. I have three of them; iMac (11,3), iMac (8,1) and MBP (2,2).

namtaB
Mar 8, 2011, 07:24 PM
Have you tried the trackpad at all? I've hated trackpads on notebooks and have always used a mouse even when they were cable usb ones. But the trackpad on the Macs is amazing. Multitouch is gold. I bought the magic mouse and tried it but ended up liking the trackpad too much.

iNotion
Mar 8, 2011, 07:26 PM
i am using the bluetooth Logitech M555b.
Definitely the best for my case
because i need a 3rd mouse button for 'expose' (faster workflow)

neteng101
Mar 8, 2011, 07:33 PM
Dell Bluetooth Travel Mouse...

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/i_o_devices/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=330-1823

GGJstudios
Mar 8, 2011, 07:35 PM
I've always preferred Logitech mice. My current one is the Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX™ (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice_pointers/mice/devices/6536)
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=226579&thumb=1&d=1274105772

saintforlife
Mar 8, 2011, 08:11 PM
Does the Apple Magic Mouse have right click? Since it is missing the scroll wheel, how does it affect scrolling long web pages or documents? Are the multi-touch gestures on the Magic Mouse overrated? I am assuming since the Magic Mouse was designed by Apple, it was made to work specifically with Macs and hence will provide a wholesome experience that other mice may not.

GGJstudios
Mar 8, 2011, 08:13 PM
Does the Apple Magic Mouse have right click? Since it is missing the scroll wheel, how does it affect scrolling long web pages or documents? Are the multi-touch gestures on the Magic Mouse overrated? I am assuming since the Magic Mouse was designed by Apple, it was made to work specifically with Macs and hence will provide a wholesome experience that other mice may not.
This will answer most of your questions about how it functions (be sure to watch the video):

http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/

christophermdia
Mar 8, 2011, 08:45 PM

I use the magic mouse everyday, I think it is by far and wide the best mouse out there. The scrolling is amazing with just a light touch and connection is solid using bluetooth. The right click works flawlessly, and battery life is pretty amazing as well.

omniatlas
Mar 8, 2011, 08:54 PM
while we're on the topic on wireless mouses, does anyone know how to have the magic mouse connect automatically to both my mac os and windows partition when I boot into each OS (multi-boot partition)? It seems like I can only sync it with one OS at a time.

Eric8199
Mar 8, 2011, 09:47 PM
The Magic Mouse is pretty awesome, but I must warn you, it takes a while to get used to it. It's not really comfortable when you start out. I also wouldn't recommend it for gaming.

I use it for Photoshop work all the time, and it seems to work pretty well and be sensitive/accurate enough.

Ace134blue
Mar 8, 2011, 10:13 PM
The best one all around regarding performance and ergonomics IMO is this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153048&Tpk=razer%20mamba

BENJMNS
Mar 8, 2011, 11:58 PM
the apple mice are way too slooooooooowwww what a waste of money

i use a microsoft usb mouse when docked to the ACD. super fast and works on various surfaces with aplomb.

simeezee
Mar 9, 2011, 12:30 AM
I thought about getting a mouse for my 11inch MBA also. But then I realize I had to carry a mouse everywhere I go. So I have decided just to use the trackpad only.

I bought a apple magic mouse to use it with my win7 pc :D

Mr. Savage
Mar 9, 2011, 12:40 AM
the apple mice are way too slooooooooowwww what a waste of money

Try "MouseZoom" pref pane

bjamison01
Mar 9, 2011, 12:41 AM
Huge fan of the Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse. If you travel alot and are looking for an easily packable mouse, this should be a consideration.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/arctouchmouse/

DeusEx
Mar 9, 2011, 03:04 AM
I use the Logitech VX Nano (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cordless-Laser-Mouse-Notebooks/dp/B00405RZWC). Great, high-quality mouse for on the go usage.

bowlerman625
Mar 9, 2011, 06:56 AM
Have you tried the trackpad at all? I've hated trackpads on notebooks and have always used a mouse even when they were cable usb ones. But the trackpad on the Macs is amazing. Multitouch is gold. I bought the magic mouse and tried it but ended up liking the trackpad too much.

Same here. My magic mouse got used for maybe a month and is now living the easy life retired!

bowlerman625
Mar 9, 2011, 07:00 AM
I thought about getting a mouse for my 11inch MBA also. But then I realize I had to carry a mouse everywhere I go. So I have decided just to use the trackpad only.

I bought a apple magic mouse to use it with my win7 pc :D

Seriously, does it work with a PC and windows 7? If so, I may unretire mine and use it there...........

tmoerel
Mar 9, 2011, 07:54 AM
while we're on the topic on wireless mouses, does anyone know how to have the magic mouse connect automatically to both my mac os and windows partition when I boot into each OS (multi-boot partition)? It seems like I can only sync it with one OS at a time.

Never had this problem. It just works in both for me!

BluePotato
Mar 9, 2011, 09:47 AM
Huge fan of the Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse. If you travel alot and are looking for an easily packable mouse, this should be a consideration.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/arctouchmouse/

This is by far the favorite mouse I have ever used. Unfortunately, it's not bluetooth (unless they made a bluetooth model).

So, for my MBA, I use a Microsoft notebook bluetooth mouse. It is fast and syncs perfectly, but the scroll wheel on it is poor. It registers a middle-mouse click often when I am just trying to scroll.

matelot
Mar 9, 2011, 10:45 AM

want to sell that magic mouse ?

matelot
Mar 9, 2011, 10:51 AM

omg that's fugly
sorry

GekkePrutser
Mar 9, 2011, 11:02 AM
I use the Logitech V470

+1 on this one :) I've got two of them now. They're small but still big enough to feel comfortable, I really need something in my hand, a flat mouse such as the Magic Mouse or even a Mighty Mouse doesn't work for me at all. And it's bluetooth so no dongles needed and no USB ports taken up. Lasts ages on battery too.

Monkey194545
Mar 9, 2011, 12:59 PM
I had this same question. I didn't want to spend a ton of $$ for a mouse that I will only be using sparingly during my MBA classes (excel, statgraphics, etc...) I like to use the trackpad on the air but it just doesn't cut it for those programs. So I just bought a mighty mouse from OWC for 35 bucs (w/ shipping). I won't like it as much as my magic mouse but hey, it was cheap :D

St. G
Mar 9, 2011, 01:17 PM
Apple's mice are beautiful and useless. I'm a big Logitech proponent for my desktop mice, but for a laptop mouse, I actually prefer the Razer Orochi, because it's smallish, got seven buttons, reasonably high dpi, is bluetooth when I want it to be and wired when I need the response/stability/am out of batteries.

Jakesandwich
Mar 9, 2011, 03:54 PM
I have been using the bluetooth Razer Proclick for years. It's small, lightweight, and the batteries last for months. Great portable mouse. Here is a link to the product page:

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.169414400

major7
Mar 9, 2011, 05:12 PM
Razer Orochi here!

Simply the best....better specs and less expensive than magicmouse. It works great with my mba.....and if u want to game 2 this one is the best!

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.169419000

iNotion
Mar 9, 2011, 05:26 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

omg that's fugly
sorry

Agree that it is not as good looking as Apple Magic mouse but I need a Bluetooth mouse to free up my USB slots on my MBA and another thing is the magic mouse scroll slower than M555b and it doesn't have the 3rd mouse button.

ultrastranger
Mar 9, 2011, 07:24 PM
how about microsoft arc touch... it has good reviews around the net

matelot
Mar 9, 2011, 09:21 PM
Razer Orochi here!

...less expensive than magicmouse...

at $79.99 ? :confused:

major7
Mar 10, 2011, 04:03 AM

different countrys...different prices ;)

Scottsdale
Mar 10, 2011, 04:28 AM
I see a lot of people picking on Apple's mice, but I wonder if those have used the Magic Mouse?

I have both the Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse. As much as I want to love the trackpad, I find myself loving the Magic Mouse so much. I think the Magic Mouse I the best Apple mouse ever by far and may be the best mouse ever. I think people complain about how short it is but that is what allows one to scroll by using it partially like a trackpad and partially like an old school mouse. It takes some getting used to, but it's hard to let go.

I only use the Magic Mouse & Trackpad when at my desk and attached to ACD, but I feel so much more productive with it especially versus the trackpad when using both 27" ACD and native display.

I wouldn't recommend using a mouse away from a desk, as the MBA's trackpad is great when on the go. If I didn't use an ACD, I don't think I would ever use an external input device. When at desk, I am using ACD, Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, and Apple wireless keyboard. The system is amazingly well designed when used together. Apple's products definitely all work best when paired together.

I definitely don't think most benefit from thinking Apple has made the same mistakes with Magic Mouse as it did Mighty Mouse. The Magic Mouse works amazingly where Mighty Mouse failed with scrolling and cheap feeling design. People just need to give it a week or two then it feels terrible going back to anything else.

yly3
Mar 10, 2011, 04:46 AM
For MacBook Air I can only think of Logitech MX Anywhere. Just read (or watch) some reviews. Amazing

St. G
Mar 10, 2011, 07:55 AM
The trackpad really is great. Nice and big, and multifinger gestures make most operations a breeze -- especially in OSX. I really only pull out my mouse for gaming.

sparkomatic
Mar 10, 2011, 08:50 AM
For MacBook Air I can only think of Logitech MX Anywhere. Just read (or watch) some reviews. Amazing

The Logitech is a really good mouse. I wish they'd make a bluetooth version exactly like the USB version.

I just don't want to have to plug in the USB (even though it is really small) every time. And, it takes up one of the 2 ports.

Magic Mouse for me until I see a bluetooth version. :o

hfg
Mar 10, 2011, 09:29 AM
The Logitech is a really good mouse. I wish they'd make a bluetooth version exactly like the USB version.

I just don't want to have to plug in the USB (even though it is really small) every time. And, it takes up one of the 2 ports.

Magic Mouse for me until I see a bluetooth version. :o

I believe Logitech DOES make a bluetooth version of the MX mouse, but it is only available as part of a keyboard/mouse package. Too bad they don't sell the bluetooth mouse separately, as probably many who like the MX shape and flywheel scroll-wheel would buy it for their laptop computers where they don't need the included keyboard.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice-keyboard-combos/devices/3481

-howard

cube
Mar 11, 2011, 10:47 AM
+1 on this one :) I've got two of them now. They're small but still big enough to feel comfortable, I really need something in my hand, a flat mouse such as the Magic Mouse or even a Mighty Mouse doesn't work for me at all. And it's bluetooth so no dongles needed and no USB ports taken up. Lasts ages on battery too.

+1 on the Logitech V470. It's not an overly small laptop mouse, it's also a nice size for the desktop, even if it's called "for notebooks".

It has fallen many times from my desk. No problem.

This is the way to go. The only Logitech BLUETOOTH mouse.

chrisperro
Mar 11, 2011, 10:59 AM
I been using the magic mouse with magicpref to speed it tracking and is been great if Im 2 feet away from MB, move away and becomes useless.
I been reading that my macbook early 2008 have the wireless and bluetooth antenna next to each other and thats why the mouse is useless when streaming movies etc.
Love the mouse but I will return it for a usb mouse.

gwsat
Mar 11, 2011, 01:45 PM
I see a lot of people picking on Apple's mice, but I wonder if those have used the Magic Mouse?

I have both the Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse. As much as I want to love the trackpad, I find myself loving the Magic Mouse so much. I think the Magic Mouse I the best Apple mouse ever by far and may be the best mouse ever. I think people complain about how short it is but that is what allows one to scroll by using it partially like a trackpad and partially like an old school mouse. It takes some getting used to, but it's hard to let go.

I only use the Magic Mouse & Trackpad when at my desk and attached to ACD, but I feel so much more productive with it especially versus the trackpad when using both 27" ACD and native display.

I wouldn't recommend using a mouse away from a desk, as the MBA's trackpad is great when on the go. If I didn't use an ACD, I don't think I would ever use an external input device. When at desk, I am using ACD, Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, and Apple wireless keyboard. The system is amazingly well designed when used together. Apple's products definitely all work best when paired together.

I definitely don't think most benefit from thinking Apple has made the same mistakes with Magic Mouse as it did Mighty Mouse. The Magic Mouse works amazingly where Mighty Mouse failed with scrolling and cheap feeling design. People just need to give it a week or two then it feels terrible going back to anything else.
I used to use mice with my Mac laptops, even when not sitting at a desk. Over the past couple of years, though, I have shifted to the trackpad and keyboard shortcuts exclusively. That's probably because I almost never use a laptop while sitting at a desk anymore.

Last year I did briefly experiment with a Magic Mouse. It was just fine but I soon concluded that the built in trackpad was a better solution for me and gave the Magic Mouse to my grandson.

potentpotable
Mar 13, 2011, 01:11 AM
Magic Mouse sucks. It sucks up your battery like a Hoover on high. Plus the bottom grips too much to the surface. And without a dedicated middle button, it's difficult to game with.

However, I still use it because it's very compact and scrolls very well. (And it matches well with my MBA. ;))

MagicPrefs is a MUST-HAVE if you do use the Magic Mouse!

Bakari45
Mar 13, 2011, 03:53 AM
Now that i'm using BetterTouchTool, I plan to get the MagicMouse for my Air. BTT all kinds of functionality.

Cheffy Dave
Mar 13, 2011, 08:27 AM

I love mine as well, and even more after downloading Better touch tool!:cool:

Cheffy Dave
Mar 13, 2011, 08:29 AM

I agree SD, I love the MM

chiamac
Mar 14, 2011, 12:24 AM
This looks intriguing (available at amazon):

http://www.americas.futuremouse.com/

BENJMNS
Mar 14, 2011, 12:56 AM
again, magic mouse sucks.

no right click. look, the touch thing is a joke. scrolling is imperfect.

slow as molasses, too.

get a microsoft mouse or logitech. right click button. nice scroll wheel. works on various surfaces. quick out of the box with no software boost needed.

cheaper to boot.

animatedude
Mar 14, 2011, 05:47 AM
again, magic mouse sucks.

no right click. look, the touch thing is a joke. scrolling is imperfect.

slow as molasses, too.

get a microsoft mouse or logitech. right click button. nice scroll wheel. works on various surfaces. quick out of the box with no software boost needed.

cheaper to boot.

what do you mean no right click?! you can't change that from the settings so you can click right.......

ZipZap
Mar 14, 2011, 06:46 AM

Shop it around.

Psilocybin
Mar 14, 2011, 07:38 AM
Magic Mouse sucks. It sucks up your battery like a Hoover on high. Plus the bottom grips too much to the surface. And without a dedicated middle button, it's difficult to game with.

However, I still use it because it's very compact and scrolls very well. (And it matches well with my MBA. ;))

MagicPrefs is a MUST-HAVE if you do use the Magic Mouse!

Sucks up your battery? How can it suck up your battery more than any other Bluetooth device. Do you have any evidence to back this up?

cooldaddybeck
Mar 14, 2011, 12:08 PM
Been using a magic mouse for 1+ year on my 17" MBP, and my 11" MBA just adopted it. Love the magic mouse, does take time to get used to.

Going to buy a (magic?) track pad as well, mostly for use on airplanes or other situations where traditional mice just don't work out so well.

Picked up a BT Keyboard this weekend and just set it up. Happy there too.

matelot
Mar 14, 2011, 01:26 PM
splurged on a MagicMouse and received this past weekend.
I don't feel it works much better than a $20 USB mouse and I don't feel like using the 2-finger-swipe anyway.

but oh my does it look beautiful :o

Charlie Sheen
Mar 14, 2011, 01:27 PM
The magic mouse is easily the best consumer mouse out there

potentpotable
Mar 21, 2011, 11:12 PM
Sucks up your battery? How can it suck up your battery more than any other Bluetooth device. Do you have any evidence to back this up?

Having to recharge them on average every week, when I use the mouse only half the time — the only half of the time is my Sony Bluetooth mouse which only requires a recharge maybe every six weeks, if not more.

I don't need scientific tests to tell me that the Magic Mouse is a power-hungry thing.

thaialism
Mar 22, 2011, 01:09 AM
Razer orochi =D

kamuix
Mar 22, 2011, 02:04 AM
i used to use a mighty mouse, moved to a magic mouse, and now recently a razer naga. i sorta missed the side buttons on the mighty, but i really loved the magic mouse. i liked how i could just flick my fingers and everything would just glide somewhat (scrolling etc..) the only reason i switched was that i kinda missed the heft of a regular mouse. i have a logitech g7 that i used for a while, but it's hooked up to my windows pc. i decided to put the magicmouse away for now and mess with the razor. the only downside is that it's not wireless so there goes a usb port. it does have all these macro buttons on the side which i macroed some keyboard shortcuts, like minimizing windows, next window, refresh, etc.. i just need to come up with some more to enjoy.