Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
Thinking of pre ordering the portenzo for my iPad 2. Anyone else? Any long term reviews from iPad 1 owners? How has it held up?

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I have two - a classic Portenzo (like a DODOcase) and an Alano (leather cover, no lining). The classic has held up pretty well, but feels — for lack of a better description — a bit loose. The Alano is a disappointment. The case arrived with a very thin spot in the leather and the whole thing, while heavier than the classic, is also flexible enough that the corner of the iPad pops out all the time. Darrin at Portenzo was pretty responsive at first, but later never came through when he promised to send return labels so the Alano could be fixed. Overall, a good case, but I might look elsewhere this go around.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Thinking of pre ordering the portenzo for my iPad 2. Anyone else? Any long term reviews from iPad 1 owners? How has it held up?

I first owned a Dodocase and it held up for about 4 months--bamboo frame split and corner pads needed to be reapplied/replaced frequently. I have had a Portenzo (classic) since the fall and the difference in build quality is night and day. Portenzo's corner pad implementation is far superior (my iPad does not budge) and the frame and binder have held up much better. I've seen comments from Dodo on numerous threads here claiming they have improved build quality but still continue to see complaints from Dodo owners so if you are looking for a notebook style case, i think you'll be very happy with the Portenzo.

I'm holding off because I'm curious about whether or not they are going to accommodate the camera on the back.

ejfontenot

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Texas
Have a DODO case for my work iPad 1, just preordered for my upcoming iPad2 from portenzo.

Looks like the iPad2 case from DODO has no camera hole, they mention easy removal for using the camera.

The portenzo pre-order gives you the option of the camera or not. I chose to go with it.

wfj5444

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
My Dodo fell from 2ish feet on to carpet and busted at two corners. I loved the case until that point. Then I saw how bad the quality was. It was already splitting in another place with no drops.

I can't speak for the Portenzo.

bernardlee

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
Placed an order for the iPad 2 notebook case on Monday. I hope it ships by March 21 (or earlier :D).

Given that the iPad 2 is thinner, I hope they factor all of this into the new case design and hopefully resulting in a thinner case.

I am looking forward to receiving this.

Domdog31

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
I ordered the Portenzo for iPad 2 and chose not to go with the camera hole - I can just see it being a problem (even though it says dust free) it still exposes the ipad to a foreign object that murphys law says it will find its way inside that hole...

But I can see the benefit of the camera hole - especially for spy work lol

Anyway, hope for it to ship soon too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.