Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wh2332

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
I currently have the original unibody macbook "maxed out", which sometimes seems to be a little slow. It's fine for most of my usage but it isn't quite as fast as I'd like it to be on more complex test. I know the 13" MBA has an ssd, which will be much faster than my current Macbook, but how much does the slower processor impact performance? For doing some, but very little, video editing would the MBA be fast enough. I mostly do word processing, stream video, create some small multimedia projects and browse the web. Would the 13' MBA be faster than my 2.4 ghz Unibody Macbook or at least comparable?

Thanks a bunch for your opinions

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You may get better response to your thread with this tip:

How do I get help with a hardware or software problem?
Thread title. Use a thread title that indicates the subject of the thread, not a generic title such as "Need help", so that people who might know the answer will read your thread.
To edit your thread title, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where you can edit the thread title.

How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience

namtaB

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2011
Video editing is probably not a good idea on the MBA. That's not to say its impossible to do on the MBA, but the MBA is not the best choice for it. The MBA strength lies in portability. Its great for school, work, browsing, music, watching video on the go. But anything beyond those tasks seem to be better suited for a much more powerful desktop replacement machine.

The best way to approach the MBA is to ask yourself how important portability is to you. If its the #1 reason you're interested in a laptop, then the MBA is a good choice. But if the #1 reason you're interested in a laptop is b/c of how much performance you get out of it and portability isn't too valuable to you, that is to say a MBP size is fine with you, then you're much better off getting a MBP with the SSD option.

wh2332

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
I guess the reason I'm most interested in the Air is because of how cheap the SSD options are. If the SSD+Slightly slower processor is significantly faster than what I have now, I would jump right now because I think portability is nice, but it's not a need, neither is super turbocharged performance. I just want to know if the MBA would be as fast as my current computer for some mild video editing. I don't need it to be great at video editing and I don't use it that much, I just wouldn't want to be moving to a slower computer. I think the form factor, high res screen, and battery life is nice enough that as long as it isn't slower than what I have now, I would prefer it to the pro.

LAS.mac

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Mexico
Why don't you just get an SSD and upgrade it yourself? my 13" MBP 2.26 Ghz, with 4 Gb ram and a OWC 128 SSD Extreme is much faster than my desktop 2.8 GHz iMac.

wh2332

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
My macbook will be being "passed down" soon, so I'm just looking in terms of my next laptop. I really didn't want to buy the MBA and have it be too slow and be wishing I had bought the MBP. If it would be fast enough, I would be kicking myself for hauling around a heavier laptop with a worse screen. How has the MBA 13" performed for most people?

namtaB

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2011
I guess the reason I'm most interested in the Air is because of how cheap the SSD options are. If the SSD+Slightly slower processor is significantly faster than what I have now, I would jump right now because I think portability is nice, but it's not a need, neither is super turbocharged performance. I just want to know if the MBA would be as fast as my current computer for some mild video editing. I don't need it to be great at video editing and I don't use it that much, I just wouldn't want to be moving to a slower computer. I think the form factor, high res screen, and battery life is nice enough that as long as it isn't slower than what I have now, I would prefer it to the pro.

I'm pretty sure the SSD options on the MBP 13 make them slightly more expensive than the MBA 13. But you get a more powerful processor and more RAM. Seems like the better choice for you simply b/c I don't think the MBA will be as fast as you'd like it to be for your intended use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.