PDA

View Full Version : The Somerset Collection - Troy, MI

undftd
Mar 8, 2011, 11:45 PM
I'm from Toronto and will be going to Michigan for the weekend, going to pick up a couple iPad 2's. I'm most likely going to Somerset, probably around 3pm or 4pm. I was also considering Patridge Creek but the mall is not fully enclosed so I figured it might be better to lineup indoors at Somerset than outdoors at Patridge Creek plus Somerset is closer to where I'm staying.
How were the lines at Somerset for the last iPad launch? Anyone know if there are more or less people that go to Somerset vs. Patridge Creek?

Tycoonguy
Mar 9, 2011, 12:00 PM
Are you coming over the Blue Water or the Ambassador bridge?

I live by the Blue Water and Partridge creek is about 20 minutes closer. I'm still debating if the extra drive is worth the weather and the less friendly apple store. Partridge creek is WAY friendlier.

alstromerian
Mar 9, 2011, 07:23 PM
I'm in the same boat. Can't decide which Apple Store to hit up. The Somerset store is always really crowded on Friday nights, regardless of release day. It's the closest to me, but I feel hesitant...

undftd
Mar 9, 2011, 09:54 PM

I live by the Blue Water and Partridge creek is about 20 minutes closer. I'm still debating if the extra drive is worth the weather and the less friendly apple store. Partridge creek is WAY friendlier.

I haven't really decided which way to cross yet, I guess it's just depending on which Apple Store I'm going to hit up. Ultimately, I'll be in the Auburn Hills area because that's where my hotel is, so either way Somerset is on my way.
BTW, is it limited to 1 per person? I want to pickup one for a friend, but don't know if they'll let me...

Tycoonguy
Mar 9, 2011, 10:03 PM
A few people here have said that there won't be a limit.

phoenix1492
Mar 10, 2011, 08:33 AM
What time is everyone showing up ?

I went launch day for the iPhone 4 and it was a mad house, waited two hours to get my phone, even though I had pre-ordered. Part of me is thinking it wont be this bad for the iPad 2, but I also don't know. I'm thinking of getting there between 2 - 3 PM what is everyone else thinking ?

rjflyn
Mar 10, 2011, 05:37 PM
That store is busy on any given day, typically right when the store opens, at noon and again around the supper hour- which is release time. With the weather predicted to be crappy then next couple days i'd go with the indoor store. Though there is always a Target or Best Buy near by.

diverdief
Mar 10, 2011, 07:46 PM
The Somerset Apple Store wasn't very busy this afternoon. I have found it friendlier lately and no longer drive the distance to Partridge Creek. I live a few miles from Somerset.

There is also an AT&T store on the third floor near the Apple Store at Somerset. They said today they will have iPad2's at launch tomorrow. That gives you two options in the same mall.

I think I am going to order online and just wait to receive mine until it is delivered. My current iPad will tide me through!

liljohnny51
Mar 10, 2011, 08:00 PM

I kinda disagree with you on the friendlier part at the partridge creek apple store. I have been getting some pretty bad service the last couple of purchases there. But I also work in retail (Costco) so I can understand why tho. Just my 2 cents.

I will be at the Partridge cree apple store tomorrow around 3pm. I only live about 3 mile from there. I just hope its not to cold :o

Tycoonguy
Mar 10, 2011, 08:32 PM
I kinda disagree with you on the friendlier part at the partridge creek apple store. I have been getting some pretty bad service the last couple of purchases there. But I also work in retail (Costco) so I can understand why tho. Just my 2 cents.

I will be at the Partridge cree apple store tomorrow around 3pm. I only live about 3 mile from there. I just hope its not to cold :o

It has been getting worse. When I called there earlier the girl was ticked that I was calling.

alstromerian
Mar 10, 2011, 09:30 PM
Every Friday night I've gone to the Apple store for the past several months has been so packed you can barely move in the store. Does anyone have experience with a nearby Best Buy for a product launch?

L.C.W.
Mar 11, 2011, 09:30 AM
debating going there after work... i'm sure it will be CRAZY at somerset... especially a Friday afternoon (poor choice for release day imo :rolleyes:) but anyways... i wouldn't expect it NOT to be crazy.... i just wonder if they will sell out like with the iP4's, or if they will have plenty of stock to buy a couple days later...

dkny3362
Mar 11, 2011, 01:06 PM
There were 40-50 people there at around noon. I went to the mall during my lunch break. I'm glad I pre-ordered. The store was closing from 3-5 to set up the new ipads and accessories.

L.C.W.
Mar 11, 2011, 01:59 PM
update on lineup?

undftd
Mar 11, 2011, 11:49 PM
Got to Somerset around 4:30, line looked quite overwhelming stretching across the other side of the mall with several rows of queues in the center, by 5pm the line went past Victoria's Secret. Ended up picking a 32GB black wifi model, wanted white but that was sold out :rolleyes: by the time I got near the store, they were already sold out of all AT&T 3G models and some verizon models being sold out, but wifi models were generally in-stock except for the white 32gb that i wanted :mad:. I hung around the mall until around 8:30pm and there was still a lineup outside the Apple store so there were definitely models still left at that time but not sure what, so there is a good chance that there may still be some available Saturday morning. I did ask if they were gonna have more releasing this weekend but they weren't sure.