Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I have a 2.66 13 inch pro with 8gb ram 320gb hard drive n I have been drooling over the specked out 13 inch Air forever now and I want to jump on it SO BAD but than I recently heard they might be upgrading the processors on it too? anyone know anything?

Also going from 8gb to 4gb and also going from 2.66 down to 2.13 on air will I notice a difference? Cause I too use windows on VM cause I am a used car dealer and my paperwork is done on software that only runs on windows...

I was also thinking of getting the new 13 pro 2.7 cause its just a beast of a machine even though I don't really need all the stuff but it seems nice. I do like SSD though

Primarily, I use it to surf the net, emails, uploading high def pics lots of them from my SD card reader to my mac and to my cars.com account n so on, and paperwork.

They say the new AIR is thinner than the old, why does the old look WAY thinner?

hows the battery life on the new air? Cause I really love it on the pro?

Also I hated the display issues on the old airs, do the new ones have any issues?

I use a speck case on my 13 pro and I took it off the other day and the dirt gave it tons of permanent scratches FML, what do you guys use to protect the Air? I feel like its such a beautiful machine you hide the beauty by putting a speck or whatever on it?

Whats a good deal on a used ultimate air? whats a good deal on a brand new one?
How much of a killer is the NO BACKLIGHT for those of you like me who are coming from machines with backlights?

If I am forgetting anything coming from a 13 pro feel free to fill in

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
I'm a former owner of Macbook Air (previous generation) and switched back to MBP. Here's why I think you should stick with the 13" MBP.

RAM: 8GB>>>4GB. Some say you won't even need the 4GB, but trust me, you're going to miss how you can throw everything at 8GB never have a page out. This is especially true with VM.
Processor: MBP>MBA. Better heat dissipation and lower fan speed on the MBP (main reason I ditched the MBA)
Battery: MBP probably has a slight edge. 63.5Wh battery vs 50Wh. (only difference is likely the 17W TDP processor in MBP, vs. 25W in P8800)
Keyboard: backlight is nice but maybe not a dealbreaker
Weight: MBA obviously wins
Storage drive: Price is to upgrade to a 256GB SSD on your MBP will likely be lower than upgrading to "ultimate" MBA. You will not regret the upgrade.

So it comes down to whether you think the 1.5lb is worth $500+ (factoring in purchase of an SSD). Difference is even greater if you've already invested in peripheral items such as Applecare and skin/cases.

namtaB

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2011
Agreed. Stick with your pro and just upgrade to a SSD, as a used car dealer you should appreciate that option. Personally, even with 4 GB RAM on a MBA ultimate, I would not run Windows on it. Simply put, running windows on the thing is like putting a morbidly obese truck driver into a Ferrari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.