PDA

View Full Version : Only one month till WWDC '11. Where the hell is the first beta???

PBF
Mar 9, 2011, 02:58 AM
On March 10th, it will have been two weeks since the first beta. Do you think it's reasonable to expect beta 2 on that day?

Messy
Mar 9, 2011, 03:13 AM
On March 10th, it will have been two weeks since the first beta. Do you think it's reasonable to expect beta 2 on that day?

No, I don't think it's reasonable.

skate71290
Mar 9, 2011, 07:48 AM
Usually no set timeframe for each Beta, they usually appear when they appear, also be aware that each download will be approximately 4GB, so releasing one every one or two weeks is not ideal - although i am looking forward to Beta 2 as this Beta is stable enough, i can't wait to see what else they bring to the table - also hoping for more new features - nothing compared to Leopard, just feels like a Snow Leopard upgrade

mrblack927
Mar 9, 2011, 08:26 AM
I think 2 weeks is way too ambitious, especially this early. Think about it; this isn't a patch update, this is an entirely new OS. They have to make tons of changes/fixes based on bug reports and then make sure its stable enough for developers every single time they release one.

I'm looking forward to the next beta as much as anybody, but I'll understand if it takes them a while...:o

antmarobel
Mar 9, 2011, 08:52 AM
Maybe in three weeks. But remember, it is scheduled to be released by the Northern Hemisphere summer (June, July and August!!)...So...how many betas will we have till then?...three?...four?...the time between them will not be longer than 3 or 4 weeks...maybe less...

bedifferent
Mar 9, 2011, 09:44 AM
I was about to post the same question. Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard beta's were released to us on a bi-weekly basis. I'm surprised the next beta is taking a little longer.

EDIT: Just read the full thread. Yes, Apple has previously released beta's on a two week schedule, especially as it moves closer to GM. The beta releases have continued to be smaller, so I don't expect Apple to release large builds as before.

PBF
Mar 9, 2011, 10:07 AM
Fine. I give them 2 more weeks. After that, I demand that I be ecstatic. :D

bedifferent
Mar 9, 2011, 01:16 PM
Fine. I give them 2 more weeks. After that, I demand that I be ecstatic. :D

LOL I wonder if they'll implement updates through "Software Update" as this is the first time a beta has been delivered through the new App Store and doesn't require burning the image to a DVD for installation. It would certainly make it easier instead of reinstalling the beta OS again… and again… and again… lol

Oh and I was wrong, the Lion beta is just over 3GB's. I confused it with the 10.6.7 beta's. However it is still smaller compared to 10.6 OS X beta's. As the core is already installed (and assuming major changes aren't implemented), small OS updates might work. We'll see. :)

skate71290
Mar 9, 2011, 04:14 PM
I love everyone's fortnightly beta builds, but it does seem excessive, and i second the idea of updates via Software Updater, would still probably be approximately 1GB downloads each time?!

MikhailT
Mar 10, 2011, 12:24 AM
I love everyone's fortnightly beta builds, but it does seem excessive, and i second the idea of updates via Software Updater, would still probably be approximately 1GB downloads each time?!
Here’s the seed schedule that was for Snow Leopard, note that the SL was for a year with 2 DPs. Lion is less than 6 months. It is likely, we’ll see the schedule starting from the second DP here, 10a380.

Mac OS X 10.6 Builds
Jun 09 - WWDC 2008 Developer Preview
Oct 25 - 10A190
Dec 04 - 10A222

Feb 04 - 10A261
Mar 06 - 10A286
Jun 11 - 10A380 WWDC 2009 Developer Preview
Jun 28 - 10A394
Jul 09 - 10A402
Jul 17 - 10A411
Jul 24 - 10A421

PBF
Mar 16, 2011, 09:22 PM
The chances of the second beta are exponentially increasing with every Thursday. :D

w00t

bedifferent
Mar 17, 2011, 10:04 AM
Hasn't it been four weeks as of today? If so, bring it on!

Sky Blue
Mar 17, 2011, 10:10 AM
No, it's been 3.

bedifferent
Mar 17, 2011, 11:10 AM
No, it's been 3.

lol Dude, you are on me like white on rice! How many threads are you gonna "correct" me on?

Ok SORRY I miss calculated, you are right, I am wrong. It's been three weeks.

You ROCK! You are KING of all things Mac

http://cdn.venturebeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/apple_crown.jpg

poobear
Mar 17, 2011, 12:27 PM
lol Dude, you are on me like white on rice! How many threads are you gonna "correct" me on?

Ok SORRY I miss calculated, you are right, I am wrong. It's been three weeks.

You ROCK! You are KING of all things Mac

http://cdn.venturebeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/apple_crown.jpg
Stop acting like a baby. False information will be corrected, it's that simple.

bedifferent
Mar 17, 2011, 12:28 PM
Stop acting like a baby. False information will be corrected, it's that simple.

of course, we are here to learn and be open to being wrong, polite discourse is essential to growth. However this guys been on my case numerous times and has been far from "polite", hence the post and light hearted joke. It's one thing to correct someone, it's another to do it obnoxiously on numerous threads. I love it when people rudely correct others for supposedly being rude to someone without knowing the full facts.

/end of this unnecessary OT discourse.

PBF
Mar 17, 2011, 06:04 PM
The chances of the second beta today were at 75%.

Next Thursday, March 24th, they will be at 95%.

:D

TxdoHawk
Mar 18, 2011, 08:59 AM
also hoping for more new features

With a summer release and the beta only just starting, I wouldn't expect any last-minute surprises.

nothing compared to Leopard, just feels like a Snow Leopard upgrade

Feels like even less than that, truth be told. Heck, one of the biggest bulletpoints (App Store) is already available. It'll be interesting to see what the pricing scheme is going to be in light of this...I'd expect to see something along the lines of what Apple did with Snow Leopard.

Sky Blue
Mar 18, 2011, 09:06 AM
Stop acting like a baby.

Indeed.

However this guys been on my case numerous times and has been far from "polite"

Your username doesn't ring any bells. Don't see how I was rude in correcting you, just pointing out it'd been 3 weeks. No need to get upset about it.

With a summer release and the beta only just starting, I wouldn't expect any last-minute surprises.

Still hoping for a notification system, but doesn't look likely at this point.

bedifferent
Mar 18, 2011, 10:08 AM
Indeed.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1118081

As the previous fella stated, no it won't work on the newest MBP for reasons that should be extremely obvious. It installs just fine on the 2010 MBP though, as I have one and it worked fine.

It seems you are the one spreading misinformation.

As others have stated and backed me up, your points were false and statements rude and immature. Enough stated, let it go and keep this thread on topic please. This is the last time I will address this matter.

PBF
Mar 22, 2011, 06:32 PM
The second beta (or first if you don't count Developer Preview) on Thursday, March 24th is 99% guaranteed.

kftrainer
Mar 22, 2011, 07:03 PM
Will this update by via Software Update?

The second beta (or first if you don't count Developer Preview) on Thursday, March 24th is 99% guaranteed.

axu539
Mar 22, 2011, 07:25 PM

Anything to back this up or are you just speculating?

PBF
Mar 23, 2011, 03:12 PM
Will this update by via Software Update?
No one knows. Hoping to find out tomorrow.

Anything to back this up or are you just speculating?
Mere speculation. Sorry, I should've worded myself differently.

karsten
Mar 23, 2011, 08:24 PM
i hope so, or i'm going back to sl. lion is buggy as hell

Lukeit
Mar 23, 2011, 08:31 PM

I totally agree with you!

PBF
Mar 23, 2011, 08:47 PM
I've been using Lion since day 1 (like many of you here) and been mostly satisfied with its stability. I do hope the next beta fixes the following though:

- iCal not quitting
- iChat Yahoo accounts disconnecting
- iTunes freezing/hanging intermittently
- VNC not working
- Launchpad not dragging out of the dock
- System Voices not downloading

MistaBungle
Mar 23, 2011, 10:57 PM
I've found minimal to no issues with Lion. AirDrop seemed a little wonky but loving it.

Also, I cannot wait to get Launchpad out of the dock.

mrapplegate
Mar 23, 2011, 11:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've found minimal to no issues with Lion. AirDrop seemed a little wonky but loving it.

Also, I cannot wait to get Launchpad out of the dock.

I'm in the same position you are in. Minimal issues and the next beta will only improve those small issues. This time I think I will try the full disk encryption.

Lukeit
Mar 24, 2011, 04:40 AM
I totally agree with you!

Sure Lion is usable, but hope issues with the following will be fixed:
- preview is buggy and slow
- safari slow and memory eater
- system itself seems not to release memory fast enough and a logout is sometimes needed to restore you ram capacity
- Lion + aperture makes the whole system slow, gluey and unresponsive
- mission control/spaces is buggy: sometimes when you switch back and forth between desktops active applications disappear and it's impossible to make them visible again though they are still "on"

What do you think?

hulfordp
Mar 24, 2011, 07:05 AM
Yeah it's buggy. The only "real" issue I have had with it is with Aperture. I edit 10 photos and then have to reboot the computer to get it to "run" well again. It is slower the SL with Aperture but have not found many people complaining and I thought it was just me. It's only a preview so we should not be so surprised. That said it runs pretty well for a preview!

antmarobel
Mar 24, 2011, 07:13 AM
The second build is taking too long...:(

macmikey2
Mar 24, 2011, 01:09 PM

I have it installed on my MBP 2010 i7 and it seems fairly stable. Occasional crashes (expected) in Mail, iCal will not quit and stay quitted (is that a word?) and little graphics jiggles here and there on my 21" external display.

But otherwise, it has been stable and I've been using it regularly now.

Looking forward to the next Preview release as it will only get better.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the IOSification (crap, another one? Is that a word either?) of the OS. It's too simple and pretty. I like SL and it's interface better. But for testing purposes for development and customer support, it seems just fine.

PBF
Mar 24, 2011, 02:09 PM
The second build is taking too long...:(
ditto

What's taking them so damn long?

Please, don't tell me the next build won't be released for another month!! :eek:

rorschach
Mar 25, 2011, 01:51 AM
Yeah it's stable in that apps aren't crashing that much...but there are bugs and glitches galore. Which is normal...but they're there.

mrblack927
Mar 25, 2011, 10:20 AM
Looks like we ended up in that remaining 1% (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12228663&postcount=21) ;)

PBF
Mar 25, 2011, 10:45 AM
Looks like we ended up in that remaining 1% (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12228663&postcount=21) ;)
Dammit. :o

bedifferent
Mar 25, 2011, 11:16 AM
Dammit. :o

Truthfully I'm surprised, there's no buzz on the AD forums. Then again, there hasn't been an official beta release, just a developer preview. Apple might be weeding through a ton of submitted bug reports and developer recommendations. The few bugs I have submitted haven't even been addressed yet and these are well known bugs. It may be April by the time another release is delivered.

PBF
Mar 25, 2011, 11:42 AM
Truthfully I'm surprised, there's no buzz on the AD forums. Then again, there hasn't been an official beta release, just a developer preview. Apple might be weeding through a ton of submitted bug reports and developer recommendations. The few bugs I have submitted haven't even been addressed yet and these are well known bugs. It may be April by the time another release is delivered.
Could it be possible that there would be no betas at all between the Developer Preview and public release?

bedifferent
Mar 25, 2011, 12:04 PM
Could it be possible that there would be no betas at all between the Developer Preview and public release?

No way (don't mean to appear haughty :) ). Apple needs to supply developers for third party OS X applications full access to any/all changes to OS X 10.X updates before commercial launch, otherwise their products may/will not be functional. As well, Apple has always released beta's, it just takes a while between the developer preview and the first developer beta as Apple usually recompiles/addresses bugs before an official beta. Apple never announces when it will be released as they have no idea either.

HEB
Mar 25, 2011, 04:02 PM
Indeed.

Your username doesn't ring any bells. Don't see how I was rude in correcting you, just pointing out it'd been 3 weeks. No need to get upset about it.

Still hoping for a notification system, but doesn't look likely at this point.

sorry, I'm kind of late to the party, but, after reading your "correction" and his outbreak, I was inspired to +1 his argument. You must realize that no one likes someone who only monotonously corrects people excessively, making them feel stupid. I've also realized that, on the forums, you always make fun of the people who aren't as smart as you are, and you seem to have no emotion whatsoever. May I ask: are you a robot? Honestly, all you seem to be is some computer that the admins installed to the forum to constantly correct and rudely inform people of their misfortune due to their lack of apple knowledge. Just mind your own business! And yes, I know that I'm definitely not minding my own business, and I apologize for that. And I apologize for accusing you. And I apologize for re-enabling an argument. Please forgive me by actually apologizing or admitting your mistakes ONCE. No one on this earth is perfect.

Sorry to the mods that I'm starting anger. Hope that I didn't offend anyone

MikhailT
Mar 25, 2011, 06:15 PM

Apple have always released seeds between DP and final releases.

Since it is their first DP to the public, it’s going to take them a while to process through all of the bug reports and get them fixed. I’d think it’ll be another month before we’ll see the first update.

trigonometry
Mar 25, 2011, 08:49 PM
Just read on TechCrunch the GM is about to be released.

PBF
Mar 25, 2011, 08:54 PM
Yay!!!!!! I told you there might be no betas between DP and GM!!!!!!!!!!!111111 :D

mrapplegate
Mar 25, 2011, 08:54 PM

As much as I love a good Apple article at TechCrunch, I think Apple jumping from a Developer Preview to a GM with no releases in between in a month is about as realistic as monkeys flying out of my a$$ :eek:

PBF
Mar 25, 2011, 08:56 PM
As much as I love a good Apple article at TechCrunch, I think Apple jumping from a Developer Preview to a GM with no releases in between in a month is about as realistic as monkeys flying out of my a$$ :eek:
So they do fly out, huh. :D

mrapplegate
Mar 25, 2011, 09:01 PM
So they do fly out, huh. :D
:)
The Headline reads, OS X Lion Already Nearing “Golden Master” — Release Around WWDC?
And reading it they just say a GM is due around WWDC, which is in the summer. Lion is due to be released then, so a GM would have to be realeased around then anyway. The article is vague at best.

PBF
Mar 25, 2011, 09:07 PM
The Headline reads, OS X Lion Already Nearing “Golden Master” — Release Around WWDC?
And reading it they just say a GM is due around WWDC, which is in the summer. Lion is due to be released then, so a GM would have to be realeased around then anyway. The article is vague at best.
http://cl.ly/5WIq/img.jpg

trigonometry
Mar 25, 2011, 09:17 PM

The article is vague but it does say a May or June public release with several GMs being released in the interim.

mrapplegate
Mar 25, 2011, 09:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

The article is vague but it does say a May or June public release with several GMs being released in the interim.

I do think the GM1, or GM2 naming is a twist, but all in all the software is expected in Summer, which in Apple style is the last possible day in Summer :). We expect a GM before then, duh. All I got out of the article was there maybe more than one GM and they are ahead of schedule.
Now should I read more into it, probably not.

bedifferent
Mar 25, 2011, 10:12 PM
Yay!!!!!! I told you there might be no betas between DP and GM!!!!!!!!!!!111111 :D

Don't believe everything you read. Most are rumors for a reason. As a developer since 10.1, Apple has never once released a developer preview and jumped right to GM. That would screw companies such as Adobe, Microsoft, all the necessary kexts for GPU's and new tech such as Thunderbolt/Light Peak, etc. to prepare and test their products.

There will be beta's, a lot, and Lion will most likely not be released until August or September which has been the cycle for OS X 10.X released. WWDC will only preview more Lion, but not a GM build. Wish I was wrong.

PBF
Mar 25, 2011, 11:02 PM
Don't believe everything you read. Most are rumors for a reason. As a developer since 10.1, Apple has never once released a developer preview and jumped right to GM. That would screw companies such as Adobe, Microsoft, all the necessary kexts for GPU's and new tech such as Thunderbolt/Light Peak, etc. to prepare and test their products.

There will be beta's, a lot, and Lion will most likely not be released until August or September which has been the cycle for OS X 10.X released. WWDC will only preview more Lion, but not a GM build. Wish I was wrong.
Actually, I don't mind it not being released until late summer, as long as we get the first beta in the coming weeks.

Meanwhile, MacRumors has picked up on the news too. We shall see.

PBF
Mar 30, 2011, 07:28 PM
Wow, almost 5 weeks and Developer Preview 2 arrives, finally.

Tmelon
Mar 30, 2011, 07:36 PM
Wow, almost 5 weeks and Developer Preview 2 arrives, finally.

Perfect time for my developer account to stop working D:

Would anyone like to send me an invite? :D

karsten
Mar 30, 2011, 10:25 PM

doesn't bother me any, wish they'd just release regular updates to the betas, and make sure and get a good finished product

mrblack927
Mar 31, 2011, 06:55 AM
Perfect time for my developer account to stop working D:

Would anyone like to send me an invite? :D

Just call Apple developer support. That's what they're there for. :)

Tmelon
Mar 31, 2011, 03:48 PM
Just call Apple developer support. That's what they're there for. :)

Well I'm not an admin in the group, so the Admin is making the calls. Apparently their giving him a really hard time about it though.

Looks like I'll be stuck with Dev Preview 1 for a while until it hits torrents. :(

PBF
Apr 1, 2011, 09:24 PM
April 28th - May 5th timeframe is my prediction of the third Developer Preview release. We shall see. Already can't wait. :D

jake4ever
Apr 2, 2011, 03:29 AM
Lion most likely will be on Preview 3 on April 28th.

(just guessing)

hellomoto4
Apr 2, 2011, 07:17 AM
Can you please change the title of the thread indicating that this is merely a prediction and has no credibility at the moment. Thanks.

Tmelon
Apr 2, 2011, 04:37 PM
Hahaha. I'm loving the naming of this thread. It's not usually accurate so I think we can come to the conclusion that they'll release a new Preview every month give or take a few days. :D

PBF
May 5, 2011, 12:22 AM
So, we're only one month away from WWDC '11. Yet we're still in DP. There's hardly any time left for beta seeds. Or are we getting the first beta during WWDC? :confused:

Mr. Retrofire
May 5, 2011, 10:29 AM
So, we're only one month away from WWDC '11. Yet we're still in DP. There's hardly any time left for beta seeds. Or are we getting the first beta during WWDC? :confused:

Windows 7 had a public beta
Windows 8 has a public beta
Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" will have a public beta

Why? Competition! If Apple knows what customers want, they will sell more copies of Mac OS X, and more hardware with Mac OS X.

And btw, it makes no sense to optimize Lion just for Sandy Bridge. I think they will optimize Lion for Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge, which means we will see Lion in Q01/2012, along with Adobe CS6.

Thunderbird
May 5, 2011, 11:02 AM
Windows 7 had a public beta
Windows 8 has a public beta
Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" will have a public beta

Why? Competition! If Apple knows what customers want, they will sell more copies of Mac OS X, and more hardware with Mac OS X..

Since when does Apple care what consumers want? Steve famously reiterated Henry Ford's remark, "If I’d asked my customers what they wanted, they’d have said a faster horse.”

When asked how much market research Apple had done prior to launching the iPad Steve Jobs replied, “None. It isn’t the consumers’ job to know what they want.”

Mr. Retrofire
May 5, 2011, 01:48 PM
Since when does Apple care what consumers want?

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/04/apple-soliciting-customer-feedback-with-new-pulse-program/

:rolleyes:

Thunderbird
May 5, 2011, 06:16 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/04/apple-soliciting-customer-feedback-with-new-pulse-program/

Yes, surveys for those who have already bought an Apple product. Still doesn't square with the above quotes by Jobs.

damson34
May 5, 2011, 11:12 PM
There will not be a beta for 10.7 what you are getting now is the same as every other OS X prerelease. They just changed the name to developer preview because that is more in tune with what it is.