Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RonC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Chicago-area
I have a rambling sort of question - I apologize up front for rambling, but I'm working to avoid giving away too much of my client's proprietary information.

I'm building a pre-production prototype of an app that may or may not ultimately end up on iPad2 (the production target might actually be XOOM, due to one particular technical capability that XOOM will have that iPad2 does not have).

One app requirement is to communicate with another device ("the target," not an iOS device) via Bluetooth. I know the Bluetooth MAC address of the target, but at the beginning of the process the two devices are not paired. The target has an open listen port on that device just itching for something to connect to it. The communication over that path is proprietary, but at the end of the day it's just bits. If I have to force-fit those bits into one of the Bluetooth profiles to make it work, then I'll figure that out separately - the communication protocol at this point is there simply to show this capability.

The documentation in this area of iOS is pretty sketchy, and largely boils down to "use GameKit." I don't think GameKit is viable when the other device isn't iOS, but I may have gotten that wrong. Are there any other things that I should be paying attention to for this to work? Using private APIs shouldn't be outside the realm of thinking, as this prototype won't be going into the AppStore.

Should I just give up and go to Android for my app? I may end up there ultimately because of other reasons, but for this early prototype there are marketing pressures to show it on an iPad (simply put, iPad is flashier to the suits who make the buying decisions - they're not the ones who will have to use the app, but they're the ones who will approve the purchase). However, without the Bluetooth communication, the app isn't worth squat.

For now, I'm focusing on the presentation side of the prototype, but pretty soon this critical feature will have to be shown...

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
You are pretty limited what you can do with Bluetooth and iOS outside of Gamekit. You are pretty much stuck unless you want to write a jailbroken app.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
http://code.google.com/p/btstack/wiki/iPhoneBluetooth seems to imply that what you are looking for may actually be accessible if you control the "target" hardware.

Bluetooth Tethering
On 3.0, the iPhone is provides Bluetooth PAN/BNEP support. If the devices are paired and Bluetooth is enabled on the iPhone, a network connection can directly be established from another device, e.g., a laptop. Internet Tethering will activated automatically. The iPhone acts as a normal home router and allows direct TCP/IP connections in both directions. The use of standard TCP/IP communication might be sufficient for most connections between networked devices like netbooks and laptops and the iPhone. However, connecting to standard Bluetooth devices is not possible by this.

I haven't seen any concrete examples of using this functionality myself.

B

drakonian

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
Hey RonC - did you ever figure anything out here? We are trying to do the exact same thing as you. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.