Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unispherephoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2004
the bezel case on my pb has recently cracked. ive found a number of complete (top, botom, bezel) cases for sale on ebay, but ive never taken apart a powerbook before. is this something i should avoid? im relatively handy, but if i ruin the operability of my computer im screwed since i cant afford to replace it. obviosly, its a lot cheaper for me to buy the case and replace it myself than take it to a shop, but am i getting in over my head?

unispherephoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2004
daystar doesnt have pricing for case replacement, but assuming its similar to hinges ill end up spending $200. thats .four times the cost of parts on ebay.

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Personally, I wouldn't be too afraid. Just this winter I replaced my hard drive and optical drive. I've also installed memory and an AirPort card. After that, I wouldn't be too afraid to do anything to it.

Just be sure to find documentation and create your own as you go (this part goes here, that part goes there, etc.) and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Then again, I'm biased because this was my 550MHz G4 and my next one will probably be purchased by my institution.

If you think you're handy, I'd open the case (8 screws or so) and take a look inside. If it scares you, pay the $200. If it doesn't, keep going!

Good luck.

cpjakes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.