Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
Has anyone had experience using the lucky labs teksure skin for the ipad? I know there are a lot of threads in the iPhone section, but i didnt see too much for the ipad.

What are your thoughts? Are they well made? Will they come off easy, and if so, do they leave a residue behind?

Looking to pair this with either a smart cover or a zaggmate case!

Thanks

Aqua Bliss

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
Unfortunately I don't have any feedback on using them but really want to get one for my iPad2. They look great in pictures, especially the carbon fiber, it looks thick and durable.

However, with the tapered shape of the back of the iPad2, I'm not sure how they are going to cut the case, will it have a cutout for all the openings or will it just stop short of the openings.... either way may look weird for that skin unfortunately (sigh).

They say on their website that they are getting an iPad2 on launch day and expect to turn their skins around 1 business day following.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Yes and it's pretty awesome.
No residue and they come off pretty easily yes.

The%20Lucky%20Labs%20Teksure%20skin%20for%20iPad%20and%20MacBook%20Pro.jpg

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
Finally some replies lol

Yea, im curious about how it will look myself. I think it would look fine even with cut outs for the buttons/etc. What I'm really curious to know is how they handle the speaker holes.

If they just leave a huge cutout for the speaker, i will definitely not buy one of these. Going to wait for some pictures before I make a purchase.

And yes both carbon fiber and brushed metal look sweet! I was actually thinking of the carbon with a brushed metal apple logo :D

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I am very intrigued, but would like to see how the updated version looks before purchasing.

This + smart cover = potential win

findnemo

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2006
It won't look that good compared to the iPad 1 since the iPad 2 uses a tapered design which is a pita to put a skin on.

It won't cover 100% of the iPad.

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
It won't look that good compared to the iPad 1 since the iPad 2 uses a tapered design which is a pita to put a skin on.

It won't cover 100% of the iPad.

I think it will be fine. The macbook covers have little slits int he corners so that it fits properly around the curves. I would imagine something similar to this for he iPad 2. But i might be wrong...

I'm planning on having one of these (or something similar) with the Zaggmate case in front :)

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
SchneiderMan, any idea how the same skin will look on iPad2?

Unfortunately Apple couldn't care less about 3rd party accessory makers and redesigned the speaker which will require skins to have "ugly" cutouts. It all depends how well The Lucky Labs and others design skins for the iPad 2.

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
So looks like Lucky Labs have an image up on their website of for the new iPad 2 skin design.

I'm not impressed at all...actually i think it looks terrible. I'll wait for more pictures to be put up, like the black carbon fiber, but it doesnt look like they will be getting my business. I know the picture is bad quality since they took it quick, but i just dont like the design at all. At least it allows for the smart cover to be used...

NEW
ipad-2.jpg

Original
parudao-wood-teksure_1.jpg

What do you guys think?

abooch1

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Yep doesn't look good at all... still waiting for colored skins that cover the edges of the back..

LateAppleFan

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
New York City
I loved these textured skins from Lucky Tabs and almost ordered one before I saw the sample photo. Granted, the wood texture design is probably not the best choice to be used as a sample. I assume the brushed metal design would probably blend in better with the aluminum back of the Ipad 2.

I sent them an email concerning the current design not protecting the edges and not aesthetically pleasing. I would love it if they can come up with a curved version that covers the entire back, with holes and gaps to allow access to the buttons, camera, etc. The speaker section will be tricky, maybe with tiny holes? Of course, they will have to ship it in a shallow box instead of a flat envelope.

I don't know, I may still order the brushed metal skin if I can't find anything better the next few days, just to try it out.

Found an interesting version of the carbon fiber skin on ebay with more coverage, just exposing the corners:

2qb6250.jpg

Last edited:

Aqua Bliss

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
I wrote to Lucky Labs about the shape of their skin and the response was the below. I think they make a good point - seems that creating a skin that wraps around the tapered edges would start to fray in no time then it would just be messy.

------------

That was our original thought and we labored for many hours over that. There were a few issues that arose. 1- It was impossible to get the material to conform properly to the corners. We tried slitting the corners like we do with the MacBooks but it just looked horrible and 2- when it wrapped all the way around the edges, our hand would catch it while holding it and would peel it up. And that was only after a few minutes of use. After a few days it would be MUCH worse. Plus the edge of the material against our hand just felt really sharp. In the end, we like this design best because 1- It works and 2- it still allows a little of the really cool Apple design to show through.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
They are screwed, then, because the above is unacceptable.

Too bad.

Have to see what LuckyLabs comes up with.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Maybe it will look better if they avoid the corners but try to cover as much space as possible.

ipad2ksicopy.jpg

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
yea.... I agree the wood probably isnt the best example. Brushed metal might look better, but still will leave edges exposed.

Still waiting for a better option. If nothing, i might just have to go with Zagg on the back.

Brandon083

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Austin, TX
I actually just ordered the wood one for my iPad 2. I quite like the way it looks. Will see if I like it once I get it on my iPad though. I had a coupon so it was only like 16 with shipping. If anyone wants to use the coupon it is sitelaunch35 for 35% off any item (good through may 27th).

Macmar88

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
I actually just ordered the wood one for my iPad 2. I quite like the way it looks. Will see if I like it once I get it on my iPad though. I had a coupon so it was only like 16 with shipping. If anyone wants to use the coupon it is sitelaunch35 for 35% off any item (good through may 27th).

Thanks for the coupon I didn't get the skin for the iPad but iPhone 4 Wraps instead.. But Thanks a bunch :D

wfj5444

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
I think the wood version is the issue. I ordered brushed metal and I expect it won't be such a contrast.

And awesome, I ordered 3 days ago before the discount *sigh*

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
Would anyone considered putting a clear skin (like zagg or phantomskinz) underneath the Lucky Labs skin?

I know it sounds weird, and maybe even over kill but just curious. I doubt it would add any serious bulk. This way you have full protection and still can have a teksure design.

I really like the way the black carbon fiber looks with :apple: cut out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.