PDA

View Full Version : How crazy are launch day lines for iPad launches?

9OOYO
Mar 9, 2011, 10:07 AM
I'm thinking of going directly to the Apple store for the iPad 2 launch and am wondering if you can provide insight on how crazy it might be.

I was thinking of heading to Philly or Allentown PA.

Thx!:apple:

iserian
Mar 9, 2011, 10:09 AM
You are taking your life into your own hands :apple:

9OOYO
Mar 9, 2011, 10:11 AM
You are taking your life into your own hands :apple:

LOL...quick sellouts? Does each store receive a certain quantity? Is there a best time to show up?

Maybe I'm better off being online...LOL.:eek:

gregruns
Mar 9, 2011, 10:18 AM
I think despite all the good information we have from everyone, we'll really never know until Friday.

deeddawg
Mar 9, 2011, 10:19 AM
Quick sellouts? Tough to say. Depends on how people show up to buy one, which models they choose, and how much stock each store receives. These are likely to vary by store.

Yes, each store receives a certain quantity. What's unknown is what that quantity might be. Ten? Twenty? Fifty? Hundred? Thousands? Nobody knows at this point.

Best time to show up? Now. Lines are already forming (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/07/lines-for-ipad-2-launch-begin-as-ijustin-camps-out-once-again/). :D

On the other hand, perhaps just order online and you'll likely get it sometime next week with no standing in line.

Pressure
Mar 9, 2011, 10:21 AM
Well, there have ever only been 1 iPad launch.

I didn't hear of people getting mutilated and injured, left to die on the streets.

Apple did state at the iPad 2 event that they would ship in volume, so I wouldn't really worry.

Cheddz
Mar 9, 2011, 10:26 AM
They are also now selling like 24 iPad 2 models (White/Black, 16/32/64GB, WiFi/Wifi+3G, Verizon/AT&T), plus iPad 1. You're more likely to get the model you want just due to the variety that exists.

nStyle
Mar 9, 2011, 10:36 AM
Considering there has only been one launch...

benhollberg
Mar 9, 2011, 10:38 AM
Anyone planning to go wait in line starting Thursday night?

PBG4 Dude
Mar 9, 2011, 10:39 AM
There were probably about 200 people last year when I snagged my iPad1. That was crazy though because there was a reserved line and an unreserved line. This time there'll be just one line.

patp
Mar 9, 2011, 10:40 AM
i don't see big lines forming. It's not the first launch of the iPad where Apple really had no idea how well it would sell. They have a better perspective having gone thru the first iPad launch. I think production numbers and store stocking levels will be ample.

Probably be like the VZW iPhone launch. Alot of hoopla for nothing. :D

wfj5444
Mar 9, 2011, 10:45 AM
Consider also the fact you can buy it at Walmart, Target, BB, Sams Club, etc.

With that many options the lines will be smaller.

djransom
Mar 9, 2011, 10:54 AM
Consider also the fact you can buy it at Walmart, Target, BB, Sams Club, etc.

With that many options the lines will be smaller.

Exactly. 20,000 outlets selling the iPad 2 vs the 1200 last year leaves customers with alot of options of where to pick up the device.

urkel
Mar 9, 2011, 10:55 AM
iPhones have huge lines because phones are considered a necessity and they are sold on subsidy so it "only" costs $200 to get your upgrade.

iPads I dont predict will be as big of a line because the iPad is a luxury device and far from being a "necessity" and also the cheapest iPad is still more expensive than the most expensive subsidized iPhone.

I think that Apple is fully aware that this isn't a product that the general public will trade their friday night for and thats precisely why they're doing this 5PM garbage. If it was an 8AM launch lines would be gone within minutes and they couldnt get the media circus that helps them gain mindshare. But by doing 5PM then they're forcing a line during peak mall hours and turning fans into human billboards for mall walkers wondering "whats going on in there"?

benhollberg
Mar 9, 2011, 10:58 AM
Exactly. 20,000 outlets selling the iPad 2 vs the 1200 last year leaves customers with alot of options of where to pick up the device.

That also means that stock will be spread out. I hope Apple prepared for the bug rush unlike last year when they ran out fast.

Black Belt
Mar 9, 2011, 11:00 AM
Got an email from Apple that they are being released at 5pm?!?

benhollberg
Mar 9, 2011, 11:01 AM

Very true and been known since they were introduced.

ajvizzgamer101
Mar 9, 2011, 11:04 AM
There has only be ONE launch, lol

Depends where you go. My belief is if you go to an Apple store, the lines will be huge. Best Buy may have a pretty big line if there are no Apple stores near it. Walmart and Target will consist of moms walking in every hour and picking one up like an every day purchase. Overall it will be a huge launch but the stock is spread out that it shouldn't be that big of a problem for many people.

benhollberg
Mar 9, 2011, 11:06 AM
I bet other retailers won't have as much stock of iPad 2 as an Apple Store, in fact I guarantee it. Probably Best Buy and them will just have around 10 or so of each model.

9OOYO
Mar 9, 2011, 11:07 AM
I bet other retailers won't have as much stock of iPad 2 as an Apple Store, in fact I guarantee it. Probably Best Buy and them will just have around 10 or so of each model.

I have Apple gift cards in my equation so I'll be buying there for sure. I may just go online at 3pm Easter to pick mine up and receive the following week.

djransom
Mar 9, 2011, 11:08 AM

This is NO secret at all and has always been the case. Best Buy stock depends on the store volume. Higher volume stores will definitely have more stock vs the lower volume stores.

deeddawg
Mar 9, 2011, 11:10 AM

Why would you need an email when it's on Apple's website (http://www.apple.com/ipad/)?

Buy iPad at your favorite Apple Retail Store starting at 5:00 p.m. on March 11.

tekniklyrawly
Mar 9, 2011, 11:11 AM
There were probably about 200 people last year when I snagged my iPad1. That was crazy though because there was a reserved line and an unreserved line. This time there'll be just one line.

I remember that, but I also Remember 30 days later when the 3g version was released at 5PM the lines were not as long. Whether it was that I was in a big city (Houston) and there is a big rush of traffic at that time and maybe people did not get there in time or maybe p
lines were just not as long because alot of people spent cash on the wifi version
I don't know exactly WHY, but the 5pm releasal was considerably smaller than the 7or9am wifi

xraytech
Mar 9, 2011, 11:15 AM
They are also now selling like 24 iPad 2 models (White/Black, 16/32/64GB, WiFi/Wifi+3G, Verizon/AT&T), plus iPad 1. You're more likely to get the model you want just due to the variety that exists.

Holy Crap!!! That's right!!!

01 - WiFi 16 - Black
02 - WiFi 32 - Black
03 - WiFi 64 - Black
04 - WiFi 16 - White
05 - WiFi 32 - White
06 - WiFi 64 - White
07 - AT&T 16 - Black
08 - AT&T 32 - Black
09 - AT&T 64 - Black
10 - AT&T 16 - White
11 - AT&T 32 - White
12 - AT&T 64 - White
13 - Verizon 16 - Black
14 - Verizon 32 - Black
15 - Verizon 64 - Black
16 - Verizon 16 - White
17 - Verizon 32 - White
18 - Verizon 64 - White

And that's just the iPad 2

9OOYO
Mar 9, 2011, 11:15 AM
I remember that, but I also Remember 30 days later when the 3g version was released at 5PM the lines were not as long. Whether it was that I was in a big city (Houston) and there is a big rush of traffic at that time and maybe people did not get there in time or maybe p
lines were just not as long because alot of people spent cash on the wifi version
I don't know exactly WHY, but the 5pm releasal was considerably smaller than the 7or9am wifi

The 3G can do wifi too right? I'm torn on this one....was thinking the wifi only verion but then thought about buying one with 3G just in case. At first I would just use the wifi to see how I like it.

djransom
Mar 9, 2011, 11:17 AM
The 3G can do wifi too right? I'm torn on this one....was thinking the wifi only verion but then thought about buying one with 3G just in case. At first I would just use the wifi to see how I like it.

The 3G does have WIFI as well.

tekniklyrawly
Mar 9, 2011, 11:29 AM
the 3g can do wifi too right? I'm torn on this one....was thinking the wifi only verion but then thought about buying one with 3g just in case. At first i would just use the wifi to see how i like it.

yes

mcdj
Mar 9, 2011, 11:32 AM
of all the ipad launches, the first one had the longest lines. and the shortest.

benhollberg
Mar 9, 2011, 11:37 AM
Holy Crap!!! That's right!!!

01 - WiFi 16 - Black
02 - WiFi 32 - Black
03 - WiFi 64 - Black
04 - WiFi 16 - White
05 - WiFi 32 - White
06 - WiFi 64 - White
07 - AT&T 16 - Black
08 - AT&T 32 - Black
09 - AT&T 64 - Black
10 - AT&T 16 - White
11 - AT&T 32 - White
12 - AT&T 64 - White
13 - Verizon 16 - Black
14 - Verizon 32 - Black
15 - Verizon 64 - Black
16 - Verizon 16 - White
17 - Verizon 32 - White
18 - Verizon 64 - White

And that's just the iPad 2

Ya because so many people will be lined up for the first generation.

zorinlynx
Mar 9, 2011, 11:44 AM
I'm annoyed at the 5PM thing. If they sold them at opening I could just drive over to the store and pick one up during my lunch break. Instead I have to sit through rush hour traffic to go out of the way to get an ipad at 5PM.

Screw that. Going to just buy it saturday.

tekniklyrawly
Mar 9, 2011, 11:51 AM
go with 3g it is priceless how you can use data while on the go
Just turn it on and do what u need to do

benhollberg
Mar 9, 2011, 11:53 AM
go with 3g it is priceless how you can use data while on the go
Just turn it on and do what u need to do

Priceless? Pay an extra $129 to begin with, then monthly data charges.

9OOYO
Mar 9, 2011, 12:59 PM
I'm annoyed at the 5PM thing. If they sold them at opening I could just drive over to the store and pick one up during my lunch break. Instead I have to sit through rush hour traffic to go out of the way to get an ipad at 5PM.

Screw that. Going to just buy it saturday.

I have daycare pickup at 6 so no dice for the 5pm unless I take the full day to wait in line. I think I'm just going to order online.

Although it kind of bums me out b/c I'm on a flight on the 20th (next weekend) and I'm afraid it may not arrive this week.

I wish you could do in store pickup if you paid online.

benhollberg
Mar 9, 2011, 01:02 PM
Although it kind of bums me out b/c I'm on a flight on the 20th (next weekend) and I'm afraid it may not arrive this week.

If you order it at 12:01 AM on Friday I bet it will get there during the week, before March 20 for sure.

9OOYO
Mar 9, 2011, 01:07 PM
If you order it at 12:01 AM on Friday I bet it will get there during the week, before March 20 for sure.

I think that's what I'm going for just to avoid the hassle. I would love to pick one up at the store but they're making it challenging with a Friday rush hour deal.

Sodner
Mar 9, 2011, 01:07 PM

Thats Pacific Time. EST is 3:01.

ghostlyorb
Mar 9, 2011, 01:21 PM
I'm thinking of going directly to the Apple store for the iPad 2 launch and am wondering if you can provide insight on how crazy it might be.

I was thinking of heading to Philly or Allentown PA.

Thx!:apple:

I think it will be pretty bad. Especially since it's at 5 PM...

miamialley
Mar 9, 2011, 01:39 PM
I'm not going to buy one, but I'd like to just take a look in the store. I don't remember which product launch it was, but in the last year or so my Miami Beach Apple store wouldn't even let people in unless they were buying something.

miamialley
Mar 9, 2011, 01:46 PM
I have Apple gift cards in my equation so I'll be buying there for sure. I may just go online at 3pm Easter to pick mine up and receive the following week.

Easter?! Why wait so long?

9OOYO
Mar 9, 2011, 01:48 PM
Easter?! Why wait so long?

Sorry - I meant to type Eastern (3pm eastern 12 pacific - right when they go on sale).

whateverandever
Mar 9, 2011, 01:55 PM

There are 18 varieties now, not 24. Either way, variety makes it HARDER to get the model you want because Apple can't really gauge how many people are going to want say... a white iPad vs a black iPad or a Verizon vs AT&T.

They probably have a generally good idea of how 16 vs 32 vs 64 sells and WiFi vs 3G but if you're gunning for a particular color or particular carrier and plan on showing up late you may be disappointed.

Clix Pix
Mar 9, 2011, 01:58 PM
I was at both the April 3rd iPad Wifi launch and the April 30th iPad 3G launch..... In both instances there were lines, but on the first one the lines were split between those who preordered and those who had not preordered..... From what I can recall there were fewer people at the April 30th launch because either they'd already purchased the Wifi-only version and didn't want the other or because they weren't interested in an iPad at all.

This year will be a bit different since there are so many people who already have a first-generation iPad of either configuration and because there are now so many more options being offered along with capacity. There will be first-time buyers this year, those who so patiently waited for the arrival of this second-generation iPad. It will also be different because there are no preorders so that this may increase the length of the lines because many people won't want to wait even a couple of days for an iPad to be shipped to their home.

DN7335
Mar 9, 2011, 02:14 PM
Sorry - I meant to type Eastern (3pm eastern 12 pacific - right when they go on sale).

Online sales start at 12:01 AM PST, or 3:01 AM Eastern. In stores, they go on sale at 5pm local time for wherever the store is located.

benhollberg
Mar 9, 2011, 02:14 PM

iPhone auto-correct?

9OOYO
Mar 9, 2011, 02:26 PM
iPhone auto-correct?

Ha ha ha...no...typing in a hurry before meeting.

Black Belt
Mar 10, 2011, 01:20 AM
Why would you need an email when it's on Apple's website (http://www.apple.com/ipad/)?

I don't go to them, they come to me.